Upcoming Films

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 1

Upcoming Films

Post by S~V~S »

My entire family (like 20 of us) are all going to see the new Star Trek in the IMAX theater on the day it comes out, we even have a Facebook page to coordinate this.

Is this awesome, or is this awful?

What new films are you looking forward to?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:My entire family (like 20 of us) are all going to see the new Star Trek in the IMAX theater on the day it comes out, we even have a Facebook page to coordinate this.

No good movies were made after 1989.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

thellama73 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:My entire family (like 20 of us) are all going to see the new Star Trek in the IMAX theater on the day it comes out, we even have a Facebook page to coordinate this.

All Praise Walter, the Cinema Digger.

*bows*
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Kate
LAMIST Supatown
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Kate »

thellama73 wrote:

That can't possibly be true.

What about Shawshank Redemption?
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Kate wrote:
thellama73 wrote:

That can't possibly be true.

What about Shawshank Redemption?
I wasn't serious. There used to be a guy on the progressive rock forum some of us frequent who would reply to every post with an assertion that no good music was made after 1989 (an assertion to which there is much truth.) I always liked him and when he was banned from the forum, I felt I should pick up his mantle from time to time.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kate
LAMIST Supatown
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Kate »

Ah. lol. Not sure why I picked Shawshank anyway, just first thing that popped into my head! :biggrin:
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Kate wrote:Ah. lol. Not sure why I picked Shawshank anyway, just first thing that popped into my head! :biggrin:
I would have picked Terminator 2, but the point is well taken either way.

Atavachron
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Atavachron »

thellama73 wrote:
Kate wrote:Ah. lol. Not sure why I picked Shawshank anyway, just first thing that popped into my head! :biggrin:
T2 was an okay sequel but lacked the intense rawness of the first-- "Why do you cry?" Really?
I will show you where I have made my home whilst preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Atavachron wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
T2 was an okay sequel but lacked the intense rawness of the first-- "Why do you cry?" Really?
Time travel is bullshit.

T2 was the first rated R movie I got to watch, so I still like it. :blush:
Atavachron
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Atavachron »

^ the first R movie I ever conned my way into was Alien; I pretended some strangers were my "guardians" :slick:
I will show you where I have made my home whilst preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Atavachron wrote:^ the first R movie I ever conned my way into was Alien; I pretended some strangers were my "guardians" :slick:
Alien 3 was my second R film. :)
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

World War Z made me write this because I was so impressed.

x-posted to facebook

SOAPBOX MOMENT:
Something hit a nerve with me tonight at my increasing dissatisfaction with Hollywood. I'm going to use my experience tonight as a springboard into this rallying cry. Usually it's James with calls to action, but I figure I'm overdue.

Tonight [my husband, friend] and I saw World War Z. I'd been following the reviews on my RSS feed for weeks now, and was pleasantly surprised they were overwhelmingly positive.

It's proof Hollywood can make a decent Blockbuster film. It reads more like Contagion than Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, which should hearten you. The pacing is excellent, the characters (those that are developed) are interesting, the music is good (can't have zombie films without Muse, for more info, see my facebook note from 2008 or so stating such), and the cinematography is surprisingly astute.

The film is not gorier than it needs to be and doesn't play for cheap scares. One of my pet peeves with the horror genre is how laughs or funny moments will undercut the tension in some of the scariest scenes. This does not happen here, yet the film never takes itself too seriously as evidenced in the few moments of levity. I'd expect no less from Brad Pitt's Plan B Production Company, but I think it's difficult to reconcile in one's mind that WWZ isn't just a solid film for the zombie sub-genre, it's solid overall.

While certainly not for everyone, if you even remotely think you will like or enjoy it, you probably will. I'm not trying to express that WWZ is the Citizen Kane of Z-flicks, because it isn't and it's not without its flaws.

That said, we need to ensure Hollywood keeps making more high-caliber action/thriller films for us to enjoy during Blockbuster season. Tell these movie moguls to take their prequels/sequels/threequels/midquels/shriekquels/remakes/screamakes/reboots/gorenography and to shove it.

If people deserve the government they elect, then audiences deserve the media we're given. We have to stop settling for sludge or Hollywood will keep doling it out to us like farmyard critters to slurp from our industrial-sized troughs.

I still believe in the power of the pocketbook. Vote with your dollars. Go out there and see the films that deserve to be seen. Tell Hollywood that we're "mad as hell, and we're not gonna take it anymore."
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Today I watched a few trailers while I had my brunch.
I liked them all a lot!

1. Parkland. First up is http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Parkland ... 39097.html, which is about the JFK assassination. I didn't think it would be interesting, but I really got into it. But really Zac Efron as a doctor? Was Anton Yelchin busy or something? I really liked the Emilio Estevez directed film Bobby about the RFK assaassination, so this should be right up my alley.

2. CBGB. I've been dying for this to come out. Alan Rickman starts. True fact: The last person to play at the hallowed venue was Patti Smith (you have read Just Kids, haven't you?) Finally something my husband and I can both enjoy: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/CBGB-Tra ... 38895.html Long live New Wave!

3. Enough Said. One of James Gandolfini's last works. Also starring the effervescent Julia Louis-Dreyfus (who said women can't be funny?). They were co-stars in In the Loop, one of my favorite films of the last 5 years. Veep is somewhat a spin-off of that, and has wrapped its 2nd season on HBO. The Thick of It started it all, and you can see it on Hulu and Netflix. The Scottish trash-mouth breakout of In the Loop will be Dr. Who's next doctor, fun fact.
Anyway, this film looks pretty good in a very Nora Ephron way. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James-Ga ... 38870.html

4. Devil's Pass. I am in the minority that doesn't mind the found footage horror subgenre. As long as it's good. There's been plenty of decent FF in the last 5 years: PA, Grave Encounters. Certainly [REC] from Spain. They are so easy to produce though that we have a glut of this subniche. This new film from Renny Harlin has an excellent premise - a team will follow the path of a failed expedition and chart its progress along the way via videography. I liked the premise and look of the film until the last third where they showed the monster. Too much like Chernobyl Diaries and a billion other films. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Renny-Ha ... 38883.html

Seen any good trailers lately?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I didn't know about the films parkland or cbgb. Both are on topics I'm hecka nerdy about though so thanks for sharing them!!! I shall now try to keep my eyes open for them.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Great! I'm so sad I never made it to CBGB. I'm actually watching the Devil's Pass film. Its not bad, for the found footage subgenre.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I have not seen Thor yet. But MONDAY - SWEET SWEET MONDAY- I WILL be viewing the DR. WHO ANNIVERSARY EPISODE in 3-frackin'D at the theater at 8 pm!

I'm so excited I can't even.

I'm so excited, I've not allowed myself to get excited about the wedding yet. You know why? Dr. Who is first. It's how I've been marking time. 1) Dr. Who. 2) Bea makes turkey - year 2. 3) VEGAS BABY.

The real question here is shall I have him download it early so I can watch it at the tv premire (ish - for us) - then see it a second time on Monday - or - go see it at the theater blind? Decisions....decisions....
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hedgeowl »

bea wrote:I have not seen Thor yet. But MONDAY - SWEET SWEET MONDAY- I WILL be viewing the DR. WHO ANNIVERSARY EPISODE in 3-frackin'D at the theater at 8 pm!

I'm so excited I can't even.

I'm so excited, I've not allowed myself to get excited about the wedding yet. You know why? Dr. Who is first. It's how I've been marking time. 1) Dr. Who. 2) Bea makes turkey - year 2. 3) VEGAS BABY.

The real question here is shall I have him download it early so I can watch it at the tv premire (ish - for us) - then see it a second time on Monday - or - go see it at the theater blind? Decisions....decisions....
Omg there is so much awesomeness in this. How was it?? I am not caught up yet, so avoided Anniversary Episode bidness. Cannot wait to start watching the nw season though. :D
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Tinsel Town”