Anyone read House of Leaves?

This is a place to talk about books, poetry, and any other literary works.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Anyone read House of Leaves?

Post by A Person »

I've tried writing a wooden log before, it was a real birch.
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 20
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Mongoose wrote:Is it not intense? Are you finding it eerie?

I definitely did not always know where to go. Vompers, did you start reading yet?
I'm roughly at page 50 now. IDK if it's all the footnotes, but I'm reading it more slowly like I would an academic text. I'm not finding it eerie so much as fascinating. My current thing is play back and forth between the story in the footnotes and what is going on in the description of the Record. The bit about echo and the fact that the stories are "echoing" each other is rather inspired.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:Vompers, did you start reading yet?
I'm a very slow reader. I'm particularly slow at starting but also continuing and finishing. I might start tomorrow unless I sleep late and won't go to the governemnt office because it's closed and spend the whole day feelign like carp for not going to the govenrment office because I really should go the govnemrment office and tell them I'm not looking for a job because I'm busy starting a publishing company.
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 44
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

bea wrote:
Mongoose wrote:Is it not intense? Are you finding it eerie?

I definitely did not always know where to go. Vompers, did you start reading yet?
I'm roughly at page 50 now. IDK if it's all the footnotes, but I'm reading it more slowly like I would an academic text. I'm not finding it eerie so much as fascinating. My current thing is play back and forth between the story in the footnotes and what is going on in the description of the Record. The bit about echo and the fact that the stories are "echoing" each other is rather inspired.
It's not just you. I'm a really fast reader, but this probably took me at least 3x as long to read as a usual novel of the same length. I usually read 2-3 books a week and this took me 2 weeks to read.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

FYI: On the advice of Mongoose, I've started an author page on GoodReads. If anyone here is interested in reviewing my books, let me know and I will send you a free PDF. First you get the reviews, then you get the power, then you get the women.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

I wouldn't mind getting the women, but do I really have to read the books? :overreact:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vompatti wrote:I wouldn't mind getting the women, but do I really have to read the books? :overreact:
You should read them; they're quite good! I have both a physical and an e-book copy of Pandemonium.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:
Vompatti wrote:I wouldn't mind getting the women, but do I really have to read the books? :overreact:
You should read them; they're quite good! I have both a physical and an e-book copy of Pandemonium.
I can't buy them in Finland. :( I might request the library to get one, although they probably won't.

Image Image Image
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

i have a page on goodreads but i've forgotten what name i used and what the password is :( - maybe i used Juliets Coffee
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

I have a page on library thing, but I don't think i have one for good reads....

I got farther along yesterday in House of Leaves while I was at the ER. It finally hit some creepy for me as they started exploring the hallway.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

juliets wrote:i have a page on goodreads but i've forgotten what name i used and what the password is :( - maybe i used Juliets Coffee
Well y'all figure that out and add us! Here's mine: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8210498-alison

Bea - I am so glad you are liking it so far! I definitely liked that part!

Llama Lo - Do you have any more thoughts about the book? More literal musings. For instance, did you think it was creepy crawly?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: Llama Lo - Do you have any more thoughts about the book? More literal musings. For instance, did you think it was creepy crawly?
Actually, I didn't find it scary at all and was really surprised when I kept reading reviews that talked about not being able to read it at night and things like that. There was a lot of empty hallways, but empty hallways by themselves don't seem particularly frightening to me.

It's been quite a few years since I read it, so I don't know if I have any other thoughts to really contribute. I liked the weird patterns of text on some of the pages and how "house" always appears in blue, and I liked some of the ridiulous footnotes that list several hundred styles of architecture, for example.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote: Llama Lo - Do you have any more thoughts about the book? More literal musings. For instance, did you think it was creepy crawly?
Actually, I didn't find it scary at all and was really surprised when I kept reading reviews that talked about not being able to read it at night and things like that. There was a lot of empty hallways, but empty hallways by themselves don't seem particularly frightening to me.

It's been quite a few years since I read it, so I don't know if I have any other thoughts to really contribute. I liked the weird patterns of text on some of the pages and how "house" always appears in blue, and I liked some of the ridiulous footnotes that list several hundred styles of architecture, for example.
I didn't find it particularly scary either. Those footnotes were pretty hilarious.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

ok - so now I'm at the part where there are lists of buildings down one side of the page and lists of architects up the other side of the page and the little square that reads as a list of home supplies and is backwards printed on each consecutive page.

The footnotes get thin and Truent's voice is lost here.

And Halloway shoots one of his team members while they are trying to get back out of the maze! (and all of the talk of labyrinths before in the red crossed out stuffs. wowo. )

And the odd thing here, is I'm having a difficult time trying to find the Voice of the narrative. I've accepted that there are at least 4 narrators. Zambino, Truent, the Editors, and well - the Navison project. It seems interesting to me that we are as far as the house goes, in the deepest depths of the Navison project and the other three narrators have either fallen aside or have started listing things while it's going down as a way to not deal with what is going on in the Navison report. I can't cotton out which narrators are listing which things. And the fact that Truent seems the most absent, feels the most disturbing to me. He is the one I most identify with.

(also - fwiw - I tried like 5 blue font colors before I found one that would make house easily read on this forum)

All of the lists feel like Zambino.

Is Truent being the narrator by the way the pages are being laid out? Is that his voice? or is that the Editors voice?

Which madness are we watching develop where? And it's all going to echo each other. I think the fact that I'm lost in Voice is echoing the lost feeling all the narrators and characters are feeling. IDK what to think right now.

It's like the Shakespearean Mirroring of characters. I see so many mirrors. I can't find the original or the copies. They all blend together.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

There's so much going on in that part of the book! I think it's because once you go down the rabbit hole, you never really come out, even if you do escape. I like the metaphor that the hallway world draws men so much more easily because men have womb-envy and want to uh penetrate things.

Bea, I read it more literally. I read it as Zambino, the lists. I don't think Truent was the narrator of those passages.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

no - and when I went out to smoke - I got the truent footnote that's now encompassing those pages, but tbh, I'm no longer in any shape to read them. What I've learned is that - captain and coke might be a near = to rum and root beer.

I don't think that truent was the narrator here either except when he's forcibly broken into it. But still - who decided on the squares? and the backwards printing?

Who made the decision to do that? and right here at this part of the book?

Was that the editors then?

it's obviously not part of the navison record. is it zambino rambling more? and why that way? and why with the backwards texts on the subsequent pages? I will ultimately question every narrative decision while I run down the rabbit hole.

yes rabbit hole I will follow you. I'm happy I'm only reading and don't have a gun. :)

And - somehow - the creapy is how the fact that things just do parallel to other things. so easily. My rl and truent's discoveries are near mirrors. it's so funny how i relate to him. I recognize a motif and he get's a paranoid vision about said motif....

also - your comment about the hallway is an echo of halloway.... Imma just sayin' :) ;)

echos and labyrinths....
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

also - this whole thread started with you saying "I want to talk about this book with someone."

So - I hope I'm providing the discussion you were hoping to find.

My work friend is hecka mad at me becuase I put off "the wheel of time book 2" to read this.

that said -it's not a big deal at all and I've been wanting to read this one.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

bea wrote:also - this whole thread started with you saying "I want to talk about this book with someone."

So - I hope I'm providing the discussion you were hoping to find.

My work friend is hecka mad at me becuase I put off "the wheel of time book 2" to read this.

that said -it's not a big deal at all and I've been wanting to read this one.
yeah absolutely! I've never quite read a book like this before (and I read probably too much), so I was anxious to discuss it. My only local friend that his read it absolutely hated it.

I don't have the book with me anymore (I turned it back into the library), so I can't comment on things as much as I like since I can't reference it, but I will do my best.

Hopefully your friend won't be too mad at you and also likes mongooses.

Toward the last half of the book or so, I started having a really hard time understanding Truent's narrative. As in, I didn't even super know what was going on, but maybe that was intentional since Truent doesn't super seem to know what's going on.

I have a tiny pimple inside my ear and I think it's going to drive me into the loony bin. It hurts when I touch it, so of course I keep rubbing it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote: My work friend is hecka mad at me becuase I put off "the wheel of time book 2" to read this.
Extremely good decision. ;)

bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

@ goosey - I'm sure that is a mirror and an echo of something. A pimple - it's an obsticale... ;)

@ lama - I thought the first one was ok - are you saying - I really don't want to jump down that rabbit hole? because he's hecka expecting me to be all in bc he and I like GOT so much...
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:@ goosey - I'm sure that is a mirror and an echo of something. A pimple - it's an obsticale... ;)

@ lama - I thought the first one was ok - are you saying - I really don't want to jump down that rabbit hole? because he's hecka expecting me to be all in bc he and I like GOT so much...
This is just my own personal opinion, but I read five of those books before I gave up in frustration and flung them at the wall. I also thought the first one was fairly decent, but as you go along less and less happens and it begins to feel like each book is nothing more than an 800 page advertisement for the next one. I think I gave up in book five when I realized that there had been no plot for 500 pages. The more I read, the more I began to loathe the series.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 1

Post by S~V~S »

I went in and added you, Logan, I did the fan thing and sent a request on Goodreads. I would like to read your stuff. I am in between books right now, so the timing would be good.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

S~V~S wrote:I went in and added you, Logan, I did the fan thing and sent a request on Goodreads. I would like to read your stuff. I am in between books right now, so the timing would be good.
Oooh add me too. I just have a regular page though. It's pretty easy to find me from Logan's page because I'm his only friend named Alison on there.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:I went in and added you, Logan, I did the fan thing and sent a request on Goodreads. I would like to read your stuff. I am in between books right now, so the timing would be good.
Awesome, thanks! If you PM me your email address and which books you want to read, I will send you the files.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Llama lo, I got Anathem in today.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:Llama lo, I got Anathem in today.
Cool! I am liking it more and more the further I get into it.

Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

I started House of Leaves and can't say I'm liking it so far. The way the footnotes relate to the main text seems too artificial to be amusing. :(

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Does this mean you like the main story but not the Johnny Truant story? I didn't really like him much.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:Does this mean you like the main story but not the Johnny Truant story? I didn't really like him much.
Yeah, that guy is a jerk.

Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:Does this mean you like the main story but not the Johnny Truant story? I didn't really like him much.
I've only read about 50(?) pages but I have a feeling I'm not going to like (or understand) the composition of the whole.

Image Image Image
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

That's funny - I found his story easier to get into than the main one at first.

Vompi - I thought it was difficult reading in the beginning ('m a little more than 100 pages ahead of you) - but I'm all sorts of intruged with the layout and style and formatting. There was the dense every space of the page was filled with writing upon writing upon writing, now there's big light airy pages that have like only a paragraph or a couple lines on them. It's almost like they are compelling me to pick up a pen and start jotting notes in the open spaces.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hedgeowl »

thellama73 wrote:
bea wrote:@ goosey - I'm sure that is a mirror and an echo of something. A pimple - it's an obsticale... ;)

This is just my own personal opinion, but I read five of those books before I gave up in frustration and flung them at the wall. I also thought the first one was fairly decent, but as you go along less and less happens and it begins to feel like each book is nothing more than an 800 page advertisement for the next one. I think I gave up in book five when I realized that there had been no plot for 500 pages. The more I read, the more I began to loathe the series.
I think we were reading these around the same time. He hadn't even written books 789 maybe. It just got excessively long and felt like it was being dragged out on purpose with no end in sight. He hadnt finished the series and then died, so Brandon something is doing it. Thank god someone is ending it. I thought about going back and finishing, but it feels too much like work and I dont remember most of it. I hate not finishing series, but I am learning to move on too. I did enjoy reading them at the time bea, but it justs depends on you if you are going to read 10-11 books.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Llama Lo - My mom sent me birthday money so I finally got your ebooks today!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:Llama Lo - My mom sent me birthday money so I finally got your ebooks today!
Yay! Although I would have just sent them to you if you had asked. :S

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:Llama Lo - My mom sent me birthday money so I finally got your ebooks today!
Yay! Although I would have just sent them to you if you had asked. :S
I knoooow, but I wanted to subsidize one book-making beverage!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Should we make another thread to discuss Anathem?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Anathem is a speculative fiction novel by Neal Stephenson, published in 2008. Major themes include the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and the philosophical debate between Platonic realism and formalism.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

It is! And now I know what speculative fiction means. I had a little trouble getting into the world, but now that I am immersed, I really like it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

I used to read a lot of long novels when I was in high school but recently I've noticed I tend to lose interest before I even begin. :(

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vompatti wrote:I used to read a lot of long novels when I was in high school but recently I've noticed I tend to lose interest before I even begin. :(
There are a TON of good short story compendiums (compendia?) these days.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
Vompatti wrote:I used to read a lot of long novels when I was in high school but recently I've noticed I tend to lose interest before I even begin. :(
I'm of the opinion that few can equal the genius of Philip K. Dick when it comes to short stories.

Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
I'm of the opinion that few can equal the genius of Philip K. Dick when it comes to short stories.
I think I prefer flash fiction to short stories at the moment. I do like Dick though.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

This reminds me of neo-Ayn Rand dystopia. It caught my eye a bit because Johnny Truant is one of the authors, just like the narrator in House of Leaves.

http://freedigitalreads.com/2013/08/09/ ... /#comments
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Hit the halfway point in House of Leaves - it right creaped me out about the time the house started attacking everyone, but I loved the chapter "what others have thought." the riffs on the styles of famous people cracked me up. especially Bloom and Thompson.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

bea wrote:Hit the halfway point in House of Leaves - it right creaped me out about the time the house started attacking everyone, but I loved the chapter "what others have thought." the riffs on the styles of famous people cracked me up. especially Bloom and Thompson.
I had totally forgotten about that! The writer was spot-on with his fake NPR interviews especially.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Yes! Hunter's wasn't over the top enough tbh. but it caught the essance pretty well. Also it was funny to read him tell people to not do drugs. :p
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:Yes! Hunter's wasn't over the top enough tbh. but it caught the essance pretty well. Also it was funny to read him tell people to not do drugs. :p
See, when I read that I kind of assumed the author had actually gotten quotes about the book from those people, instead of just making them up. Is this an insane thing to think?

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
bea wrote:Yes! Hunter's wasn't over the top enough tbh. but it caught the essance pretty well. Also it was funny to read him tell people to not do drugs. :p
See, when I read that I kind of assumed the author had actually gotten quotes about the book from those people, instead of just making them up. Is this an insane thing to think?
Yes, it is, haha. They are obviously fabricated. Right?!? He did a dang ole fine job of fabricating those stories and interviews. I don't have a copy of the book with me.

Bea, can you look up some of those (fake) citations and see if any are real/legit?

Llama, do we need a new thread for Anathem or are we going to chat about it in here?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Yes, it is, haha. They are obviously fabricated. Right?!? He did a dang ole fine job of fabricating those stories and interviews. I don't have a copy of the book with me.

Bea, can you look up some of those (fake) citations and see if any are real/legit?

Llama, do we need a new thread for Anathem or are we going to chat about it in here?
But why couldn't they have been in on it? Danielewski phones them up, tells them about the book and asks for a fake quote. Doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to me.

This thread is not that active. I think we can do Anathem here.

bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

No - I think that's kinda one of the points of the book llama. There's all sorts of questions about "authenticity" and how easy it is to fake it.

There was a whole big section about how easy digital image manipulation is and how you can't always trust what you see in pictures and film these days.

There are multipule instances where Truent says that Zambino often made up sources, articles and texts etc.

There are times when both Truent and Zamino have it wrong and the editors "fix" it.

I think part of the main theme of the book is just how far each person who reads it will jump down the rabbit hole. (Which in my mind actually makes it a much more interactive novel than most novels put out these days) Part of me wants desperately to track down which articles and sources are real and which ones are made up. Part of me knows that's a big huge waste of time to spend on a work of fiction when the amount of knowledge I'm going to get is basically an easter egg anyway. (Also - I can see it as a comment on academic writing as well. Who ever really looks up those sources? ;) )

I think it was set up though so that as a reader we are always not sure what to take as "fact" and what to take as "fiction."

linki - lol goosey - see above - I've never actually looked up the books/magazine articles. - I know the dante stuff and the bible stuff and the mythology stuff is pretty accurate. it's the comments *about* those things that get all trickstery.

linki - I could see it if it was a more established writer llama. I just can't see someone like Harold Bloom saying "oh yes, I'll give a fake interview for this book I know very little about." Hunter....maybe...King...maybe.... but I Bloom just feels a bit too ivory tower to go for it ya know?

Return to “The Book Cellar”