Doppelgangsters

Moderator: Community Team

tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 16

Doppelgangsters

Post by tutuu »

Hi im gonna postpone the fallout game for a big while, i wanna do this cuz thinking about it makes me laugh

7 vanilla town
3 mafia goon

A sockpuppet account is made as a doppelganger of each player. They are then shuffled and redistributed. You can end up with your own account (so like nutella has the alison account, alison has the nanook account, hally has the hally account for instance)

When killing at night, the mafia but also guess the real identity of their target. The kill is only successful if they guess it correctly

Players are incentivized to roleplay as their sockpuppet accounts to make mafia waste nights killing them; good roleplay would be rewarded

U can claim identity, lie about identity, speculate about others identities etc, all of that would be encouraged and part of winning the game

Boring stuff: 100 day post cap, 50 night post cap, day cap unlocked 1 hour before eod, 36/12 phases (can i do that? or is 48/24 the minimum?), 12 hour day 0, locked votes at lylo

[mention]JaggedJimmyJay[/mention]
tutuu

Re: Doppelgangsters

Post by tutuu »

just realized there isnt enough of an incentive for ppl to roleplay/mimic their doppelgangers apart from just fun. there is no straight up pro to ur wincon

so im gonna fix that by making it so at least one of the members of the town will be guaranteed to rand their own socky account (this will be announced ofc)

this way everyone has actual incentive to try to mimic
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

(bcuz the mafia will have something more tangible to look for, they will probably look for the person who has their own real account first, and u might make them waste nightkills if ur good at mimicing etc)
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by Hally »

this is a funny setup :p

you could maybe just make it a rule that everyone has to try to roleplay their person?

but idk, what if people are playing with each other for the first time and don’t know how to mimic their person? hrm
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Hally wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 pm this is a funny setup :p

you could maybe just make it a rule that everyone has to try to roleplay their person?

but idk, what if people are playing with each other for the first time and don’t know how to mimic their person? hrm
hihi :p

i thought about telling ppl "hey guys, pls try to roleplay as each other just for fun!" but decided it wont rly work if i enforce ppl to do something for the sake of fun. like, when u are forced to do something, it stops being fun, at least that's how i would feel

i think there needs to be an actual win-condition-related-advantage for ppl to want to roleplay as each other, and let it happen naturally! thats how it can become fun! im happy with the thing ive come up with rn. mafia will know at least 1 town will be the same person, and there's where they will look for first, since they just need a few night kills to win the game

as for the ppl playing with each other for the first time, i will ask in the sign-ups that everyone provides their last 5 completed mafia games, preferrably on sites that have ISO functions, so that ppl can familiarize with each other's posting styles!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

You might not need to incentivize roleplaying at all. In a setup like this, that would be a main attraction for... some folks. :shifty:

In the past, we've held a "Best roleplay" vote after sockpuppet games and given banners to the winner. I've got two, no big deal.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Rofl
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

I'm pretty sure there are certain tone/posting styles that are trivially easy to fake and also incredibly difficult to guess the identity of. For instance if we were to all agree to type incredibly loquaciously by consulting thesauruses before every post and replacing random words with obscure synonyms that would be very difficult to reverse engineer the true identity because any posting or typing indicators of identity would be wiped away by the random replacement.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Alison

Post by Alison »

It's harder to tell who's who if everyone tries to talk in the same, specific, unreadable tone rather than each try to adopt their own unique, person-specific tone. So the game mechanics encourage less "roleplaying your socky" and more "artificially using algorithms (random word replacement, etc.) to disguise your identity". If you were willing to go even further you could do stuff like randomly reorder words (eg. taking a sentence like "we should exe Alison" and turning it into "Alison should be exed") or erratically switching between passive/active voice or various tenses to make it impossible to decipher who you are and completely conceal any posting or typing style you might have. If we all commit to using this strategy I'm reasonably certain that the mafia would have a very low chance of successfully nightkilling, which is an advantage that would more than compensate for being less readable/general confusion caused by erratic tense switches etc.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Another thought: I know there are programs out there that can detect whether X and Y texts were written by the same person. eg. a similar program was used to detect that Robert Galbraith was a pseudonym of J.K Rowling based on computer analysis of the average length of words. It follows that by figuring out what methods such programs use to detect similarities in writing style, you could design posts to fool those methods, eg. by artificially varying the lengths of your words at random. Obviously this is an oversimplification of how the program actually works but if there's a program to detect X and Y are written by the same person then I'm willing to bet that there's a program that obfuscates it.

Note that the mafia have no reason not to use this program and get 100% confirmed NKs every time if you don't engage in obfuscation methods yourself. So unless you actively work to stop the mafia from using textual analysis programs to match puppet to player then you're going to play in a pretty scumsided game by default.
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

[mention]Alison[/mention] woah :D

well, thanks for the feedback haha

do u have any suggestions on how to achieve the objective of - have players be incentivized to roleplay as each other, and tie that to a game of mafia thats somewhat balanced?

without needing to resort to these third part party programs and other weird stuff
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

perhaps a 12v3 mountains game in which every member of the town operates their own matching socky account, but for the mafia

mafia A operates mafia B socky
mafia B operates mafia C socky
mafia C operates mafia A socky

so they are incentivized to roleplay good as each other or they would get caught because they'd be the only ones not acting like their normal selves

and nobody is incentivized to mask their posting style or use thesaurus or whatever because publicly its pro-town to not do it?

but then the mafia can simply send each other posts in mafia chat and copy paste them lol. god damn it

maybe just remove their discord chat then, forbid them from having any communication, and just have them vote for night kill?

but that feels like a bit band-aid solution, would that be fine?

or is the whole idea not so good and another idea could be better
Alison

Post by Alison »

tutuu wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:15 am @Alison woah :D

do u have any suggestions on how to achieve the objective of - have players be incentivized to roleplay as each other, and tie that to a game of mafia thats somewhat balanced?

without needing to resort to these third part party programs and other weird stuff
A panel of judges spectate the game and award prizes for best/funniest/etc. roleplay, with in-game effects. A "funniest roleplay" award given to a mafia member could let them roleblock a player by distracting them with a hilarious joke, while given to a town it could allow them to invite another player to their comedy show, thus forcing that player to Watch them, etc. This would also create interesting mech elements. eg. "So tutuu was doc healed, but still died. That means the mafia might have a strongman kill. Who do we think won roleplay prizes yesterday?"
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Alison wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:30 am
tutuu wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:15 am @Alison woah :D

A panel of judges spectate the game and award prizes for best/funniest/etc. roleplay, with in-game effects. A "funniest roleplay" award given to a mafia member could let them roleblock a player by distracting them with a hilarious joke, while given to a town it could allow them to invite another player to their comedy show, thus forcing that player to Watch them, etc. This would also create interesting mech elements. eg. "So tutuu was doc healed, but still died. That means the mafia might have a strongman kill. Who do we think won roleplay prizes yesterday?"
mm this sounds fun, ill think on it. thanks!!! :hugs:
Alison

Post by Alison »

Maybe the "most realistic roleplay" award could let you copy that player's abilities. Could lead to some clown fiesta stuff. I'm a doctor and I heal X, only to receive a roleplay award for mimicking Y, which makes me kill X instead for copying their role... and now I have to figure out if Y is a Vigilante or Mafioso.
Alison

Post by Alison »

It also lets players who don't have the time to commit to fully playing participate in a lighthearted and low pressure way by serving on the panel.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Could do panel reads too where you try to tell jokes that the judges will find funny based on what you know about them to get an award. Lots of potential for wacky hijinks in thread which seems like what you are trying to go for
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

thanks <3
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

ok this is gonna be a closed setup role madness now, im having a ton of fun designing this rn. more fun than my fallout attempt
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

omg im so excited this is 10 times better now
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVEERRRRR THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST HE BEST
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

[mention]Alison[/mention]

tutuu

Post by tutuu »

my game will run after martin's

do i need to bother writing sign-ups from now or can i just delay that for when its my turn
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

guess it wont hurt ok lets see
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

DOPPELGANGSTERS

10 Town vs 3 Mafia

Closed Setup with Light (actual Light, Tony!!!) Role Madness

48/24 phases. 100 day post cap, 50 night post cap. Due to the nature of the game there will be no substitutions, if a player needs to sub out their slot will be modkilled.

No hidden godfathers, unaware millers, redirectors, bus drivers, alignment conversion, soup kills. If the majority of the players are Americans I will do SoD/EoD to suit them. If the majority is not then I will do euro-friendly timings

The shtick of the game is this: a sockpuppet account is created that matches the identity of every other player in the game. (For instance nutella -> nutella_). These are then shuffled and randomly redistributed among the players, in a way that nobody can rand their own accounts. Players will be free to claim and lie about their identities, as well as discuss other people's identities, as much as they wish, at their own risk. They can also role claim and info dump as much as they wish, at their own risk. Players are encouraged to roleplay as the identity they are given as accurately as possible.

There will be a jury of spectators watching the game, made up from as many people as I can gather. Every day phase, they will give a single award for "Best Roleplay" to the person they think roleplayed their identity the most accurately on this specific day. That player will then permanently unlock a small special bonus from their rolecard that lied dormant previously. Every player can win only one of these awards, after which they are excluded from future voting, as they have already unlocked their prize. The jury will be unspoiled about real identities and alignments, though I will let join dead players join the same spec/graveyard chat. The winner will be publicly announced every time.

Some advanced/nitpicky mechanical stuff:
-Real identities do not flip on death
-Tied wagons get randed
-No hammer before LyLo
-Locked votes at LyLo
-Mafia kill is assigned and mandatory
-No yeet is a viable option
-Mafia will have a 24/7 discord chat
-If a player shares an out of thread chat with another player and rands their identity, i will forbid them from copy pasting posts in order to gain unfair advantage in mimicking, as well as "coaching" them (specifically wrt identity). The purpose is to have fun and try your best to roleplay as best as you can by yourself!
-Players will be required to submit their last 3 town games played and last 1 scum game when signing up, to help familiarize everyone with everyone. These games will be publicly posted by the host ITT on Day 0
-There will be a 24 hour Day 0
-Generally no double targeting or self-targeting unless specifically told you can
-Mafia will be able to use negative actions on each other, including even the factional mafia kill (as long as you don't try to self-target). This is a rule of thumb that I will be having in all of my games as I think it should be standard
-Night actions will need to be sent to me 30 min before SoD. I will then resolve them. The thread will be locked an hour and 30 min before SoD. This is because I don't want players from info dumping at the last possible second and get away with it, abusing night chat like that, and have the mafia team not be able to react on time. I want this 1 hour interval to let people adjust their night actions if necessary. (Another rule of thumb)
-Unless specifically told, generally speaking, day actions can only be resolved 1 hour after SoD, and they cannot be resolved 1 hour before EoD. Generally speaking I will allow proxying them, unless I won't. (Another rule of thumb)
-The day post cap will be lifted 1 hour before EoD
-I will not be taking part in the jury voting. I might need a co-host too in case my exam lines up to be during a bad timing
-I might be missing some more stuff but I will add them as I recall them

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”