[ENDGAME] Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 147

Re: [Day 0] Triskaidekaphobia Mafia

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think I like Vompatti too. I don't pretend to know his anti-town methods very well, but if I had to guess I'd say he's more apt to just dive right in with his stuff when town rather than wait around in total lurk mode. I am resolved this game to always have a stance on Vompatti either way. I refuse to call him null. He won't get that from me. :meany:
Never played with him, so I don't know what standard to read him against, but I don't know how you managed to get a civ lean on someone who's just posted wikipedia (assumedly) snippets.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 457
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote:Preemptive, but I dig your reasoning.
I dig that you dig my reasoning, but do you dig sig?
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think I like Vompatti too. I don't pretend to know his anti-town methods very well, but if I had to guess I'd say he's more apt to just dive right in with his stuff when town rather than wait around in total lurk mode. I am resolved this game to always have a stance on Vompatti either way. I refuse to call him null. He won't get that from me. :meany:
Never played with him, so I don't know what standard to read him against, but I don't know how you managed to get a civ lean on someone who's just posted wikipedia (assumedly) snippets.
Vompatti has made approximately three game-relevant posts in the 1.3ish years I have been on the Syndicate. You're going to have to get creative if you want to read that man either way.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Correction: 2/5 of his posts are like that, but the rest are still fluff.

linki: In a GTH scenario, I'd say civ. I can see what he said being of more disadvantage to baddies than advantage to them.

linki 2.0: What have I signed up for?? :scared:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin trending upward! Keep it up gang, maybe I'll find the baddies by process of elimination before Day 1. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

By the way, I'll be voting no lynch tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote:By the way, I'll be voting no lynch tomorrow.
We're not friends anymore.

Why.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Quin wrote:By the way, I'll be voting no lynch tomorrow.
We're not friends anymore.

Why.
Well I never liked you anyway!

Different philosophies, I guess. When I have the option I have pretty much always and will always vote no lynch on Day 1.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote:Well I never liked you anyway!

Different philosophies, I guess. When I have the option I have pretty much always and will always vote no lynch on Day 1.
Please tell me your philosophy. If I find it disagreeable, I'll surely explain why.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 60

Post by S~V~S »

I am replacing in here; I was under the impression that I was going to be announced by the host earlier, but life is crazy in Nauru, amirite?

Haven't read the rules etc yet, just checking in. Also I think H. Swank is hot, a person doesn't need to be traditionally beautiful to be hot. She & Chloe Sevigny (another hot but not really pretty per se actress) burnt up the screen in Boys Don't Cry, which is mainly where I recall Hilary Swank.

Linki, also plan on marching to my own drummer this game.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

S~V~S wrote:Linki, also plan on marching to my own drummer this game.
More likely to come from a town S~V~S in a linki proceeding a case of JJJ grumbling at someone else's strategy. Good look. :p

(I don't mean for this to be critical if it appears that way, it's a real read)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

Please tell me your philosophy. If I find it disagreeable, I'll surely explain why.
There is not enough information for me, personally. Day 1 is a mix of throwing fingers around aimlessly and hoping you can find something that sticks. There's also a high probability of mislynching, but that's variable on what information is available, but you can't really get that until you have more concrete information.
ImageImageImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 25

Post by Vompatti »

I think it would be a good idea to start lynching the mafia before they outnumber the civs.
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Vompatti wrote:I think it would be a good idea to start lynching the mafia before they outnumber the civs.
I agree. Let's do that.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

There is not enough information for me, personally. Day 1 is a mix of throwing fingers around aimlessly and hoping you can find something that sticks. There's also a high probability of mislynching, but that's variable on what information is available, but you can't really get that until you have more concrete information.
I understand your perspective. Let me share why I think it's always the wrong move to no lynch on Day 1 (or any day at all save for very specific late-game numbers scenarios):

1. The lack of concrete information on Day 1 becomes a lack of concrete information on Day 2 if nobody is lynched. The only objective information that can exist in that scenario are night kill(s) and night actions, neither of which are likely to promote thread-wide movement so early in the game. Without a significant increase in available information, Day 2 is nearly the same as Day 1, and the baddies have gotten a free kill in that period.

2. Without a lynch, the baddie team experiences no pressure at all on Day 1, and is thus much more able to participate in a manner consistent with the general population -- pressure is what forces baddies to make decisions, and it's those decisions that so often define how they are caught. This is even more significant in a game where the baddies may not communicate privately during the day phase. Without their team mates in their ear, pressure situations and decision-making scenarios are an individual challenge. The difference is often observable.

3. A mislynch on Day 1 isn't a big deal. The game of Mafia is designed, in its most typical ratios, so that the loss of a townie on Day 1 (which is usually the most likely result) does not cripple their chances of winning the game. Indeed, it's the second best possible result, behind only lynching a baddie (not considering other scenarios with anti-town independents or whatever). A Day 1 mislynch is the most significant source of concrete information available to the public on Day 2, and it is what ensures Day 2 will not be an extension of Day 1.

Order of preference:

1. Lynch a baddie.

2. Lynch another townie.

3. Lynch ME.

4. Lynch nobody.

A stagnant Day 1 is the first step to a town loss, and nothing can prolong stagnation beyond Day 1 like a no lynch.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 60

Post by S~V~S »

sig wrote:
sig wrote:@HOST why is there no rule number 3?

Also I'd like to bring attention to this.

5. The Mafia team can only interact in BTSC during the Night phase.

I'm not sure how much this helps us, I know the last game we had with this was the Scrimmag, I was mafia and it did make things more hectic and we had much less planning. However, it also made the links less clear. So I think we should keep in mind the mafia doesn't have day chat.

Any thoughts on this?
Rule number 4 not 3.
This is the only thing to get my attention so far,and as pings go, it's *meh*, so just saying it to say it, basically. It actually could be making me think sig is civ more so than the other way around, but it is hard to say this early. It just stuck out to me.

Sig has obviously read the rules including the on famous rule 10,
10. >>>Players are advised not to end any phase throughout their game with 4, 9, 13 written posts or multiples of those numbers.<<<
There isn't a rule 9, either. This seemed like saying something for the sake of being seen having something to say, BUT like I said, *meh*. This seems like a thread full of people playing it safe so far. So I am liking risk taking more than not.

I was not expecting to be playing, and have a crapton of stuff to do tonight (which is why I stole Ricos thunder and self announced, I only had a limited time to post). Toodles, citizens & Mafioso.

Linki, I hate no lynch. Grrr.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Anyone in particular you feel is playing it safe so far, S~V~S?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Quin wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

I understand your perspective. Let me share why I think it's always the wrong move to no lynch on Day 1 (or any day at all save for very specific late-game numbers scenarios):

1. The lack of concrete information on Day 1 becomes a lack of concrete information on Day 2 if nobody is lynched. The only objective information that can exist in that scenario are night kill(s) and night actions, neither of which are likely to promote thread-wide movement so early in the game. Without a significant increase in available information, Day 2 is nearly the same as Day 1, and the baddies have gotten a free kill in that period.

2. Without a lynch, the baddie team experiences no pressure at all on Day 1, and is thus much more able to participate in a manner consistent with the general population -- pressure is what forces baddies to make decisions, and it's those decisions that so often define how they are caught. This is even more significant in a game where the baddies may not communicate privately during the day phase. Without their team mates in their ear, pressure situations and decision-making scenarios are an individual challenge. The difference is often observable.

3. A mislynch on Day 1 isn't a big deal. The game of Mafia is designed, in its most typical ratios, so that the loss of a townie on Day 1 (which is usually the most likely result) does not cripple their chances of winning the game. Indeed, it's the second best possible result, behind only lynching a baddie (not considering other scenarios with anti-town independents or whatever). A Day 1 mislynch is the most significant source of concrete information available to the public on Day 2, and it is what ensures Day 2 will not be an extension of Day 1.

Order of preference:

1. Lynch a baddie.

2. Lynch another townie.

3. Lynch ME.

4. Lynch nobody.

A stagnant Day 1 is the first step to a town loss, and nothing can prolong stagnation beyond Day 1 like a no lynch.

1. Think of it this way: On day 1, you would lynch someone based entirely on situational factors. You can't compare it to the concrete information like role use, night kills or vote tallies. On day 2, while you could consider yourself a day behind, you're likely up one townie and you can do 'day 1' with the ability to compare your thoughts with factual evidence. There isn't such thing as a free kill, because even if you did lynch a baddie on Day 1, another is just going to do the kill instead.

2. I don't agree that baddies would get a free ride. People are inevitably going to talk, and I've seen a number of discussions of suspicion being created just based on regular conversation. Take INH in The Office, he copped a lot of suspicion for his +1/-1 joke, and I doubt he thought people would consider it as a reason for suspicion. When those sorts of conversations happens, there's no way in hell would I expect everyone to drop the discussion until Day 2, but the natural course of things is that if a baddie is being scrutinised, their teammates will act in some way. Come day 2, you have something to compare to.

3. I mostly disagree with this on principle. In a larger game, sure, it's not as much of an issue. The thing is, I've played games in the past with much smaller player counts and I couldn't tell you how many times the doctor or cop or some other crucial role has been the Day 1 lynch.

Tell me if there's anything left to address. Wall posts aren't my thing today, I kind of rushed it.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I strongly disagree with all of that Quin, but I won't waste thread space debating strategy any further. I hope we lynch someone.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

People who have posted so far that have made me feel nothing positive (or negative, necessarily): INH, Scotty, DrWilgy, G-Man.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 117

Post by Epignosis »

What about those of us who haven't posted at all?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I strongly disagree with all of that Quin, but I won't waste thread space debating strategy any further. I hope we lynch someone.
I'm basically that one guy shouting unpopular opinions that everyone runs away from with their hands covering their faces. :p
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote:What about those of us who haven't posted at all?
They should remove themselves from that category.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

My post count was a multiple of nine. :rolleyes:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 25

Post by Vompatti »

My post count is a prime. :beer:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Sticking to the post count rule is going to kill me :sigh:

I think I'll number my posts from now on so I don't have to worry.

ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

How does one do the links to peoples post histories? I'll do it when everyone has posted for convenience

ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

and one more for reasons

ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

That was actually post 15. So this is 16. And now that I'm caught up I'll shut up.
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

17 :haha:
ImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 68
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:People who have posted so far that have made me feel nothing positive (or negative, necessarily): INH, Scotty, DrWilgy, G-Man.
Sorry bout it. Day 1's gonna day 1. I don't know how you can look at a person's initial posts and deem them one alignment or another. This isn't a criticism. Merely a skill that I don't possess. If I look at patterns, and what makes a person "civ" or "Mafia" based on effort and tone in the first day, I'll probably be a better Mafia player.

I suppose you already know my preference of voting day 1.
Quin wrote:How does one do the links to peoples post histories? I'll do it when everyone has posted for convenience

I have no idea but that would be nice. I hope this is my 11th post. I did list of posts counts that won't fly, and once you get into the 20's in a cycle, it gets pretty hairy. I would advise everyone to do the same, or else "stuff" will happen.

Like Vompatti being thrown out the airlock for insubordination.

So say we all.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 104

Post by DrWilgy »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:
Vompatti wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Vompatti wrote:I don't think we should rule out the possibility that the mafia could, to some extent, communicate telepathically.
Vompatti, what's your favorite food and why is it mushrooms?
Actually it's liver cassarole.
If I were cooked whole... Would I be considered a liver casserole?
Doc, what's the most interesting thing to you about page one of this thread not including Rico's posts?
Eloh agreeing with Sig, why?
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Scotty wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:People who have posted so far that have made me feel nothing positive (or negative, necessarily): INH, Scotty, DrWilgy, G-Man.
Sorry bout it. Day 1's gonna day 1. I don't know how you can look at a person's initial posts and deem them one alignment or another. This isn't a criticism. Merely a skill that I don't possess. If I look at patterns, and what makes a person "civ" or "Mafia" based on effort and tone in the first day, I'll probably be a better Mafia player.

I'll make an assertion that may or may not be correct (you know you better than I know you) based upon a feeling I have about most players in general. I bet that when you read early game posts, even those that seem quite minor, you still have an instinctive reaction of some kind. I suspect that it's not about you struggling to have a reaction, but rather you struggling to respect your reaction. To have a great deal of confidence in anything on Day 1, or in this case on Day 0, is impossible for any honest player. Still, confidence isn't the objective right now. Why not give those little twitches a chance to be free? Why not throw them into the game thread with reckless abandon and see what happens?

It's never going to be enough to condemn someone or to place complete trust in someone, but who cares? Let it ride, man!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DrWilgy wrote:why?
No reason other than the hope that you'd say something.

[quote="DrWilgy]Eloh agreeing with Sig[/quote]

What makes this more interesting to you than the average page 1 post?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 26

Post by sig »

Scotty wrote:
sig wrote:
Scotty wrote:
sig wrote:
Scotty wrote:
sig wrote:I didn't know who that lady was until I googled it so I picked not.

also Hi, been awhile since I played (or it seems like it) so be nice to me. :P
Wait you've seriously never heard of Hilary Swank?

Oh man do I feel old.

I might just vote for you day 1 for making me feel old, dog
But, scotty you are old. :)

:P
TAKE IT BACK

lol how old do you think I am? I'm not Epi's age, that's for sure. :grin:
I was going to cheat and look at your profile, but your age doesn't show up. However, you did say you're younger then Epi so I guess your about fifty two? :shifty:

Or if that isn't right lets go with 23?
:haha:

Naw, I'm 26. I'm officially on my own health insurance. Next up is my AARP card, surely!
Well see I thought you were younger, I think that should get me like five free no lynches from you right? :P

Elohcin wrote:
sig wrote:

I'm not sure how much this helps us, I know the last game we had with this was the Scrimmag, I was mafia and it did make things more hectic and we had much less planning. However, it also made the links less clear. So I think we should keep in mind the mafia doesn't have day chat.

Any thoughts on this?
Rule number 4 not 3.
I agree with you here. I, for one, love my chatzy BTSC when I am bad. Not only for planning and scheming, but for chatty fun. I have been bad in a game (or two perhaps, you guys know my memory) where the BTSC only took place in a separate thread and only during the night. It was a little chaotic, disconnected, and planning and scheming was quite difficult imo. I really hated it, honestly. I didn't even really feel as if I was part of a team. That said, I don't think we need to underestimate the mafia b/c of this. We have some really good players in this game - JJJ, Epi, Scotty, YOU...to name a few. I am sure these are some players that will be able to work with what they're given.
I do like that Elo not only agrees with me, but gets my reasoning. However, I do find it a little odd she'd include me with Epi and JJJ flattered yes, but still a little odd.

S~V~S wrote:
sig wrote:

Any thoughts on this?
Rule number 4 not 3.
This is the only thing to get my attention so far,and as pings go, it's *meh*, so just saying it to say it, basically. It actually could be making me think sig is civ more so than the other way around, but it is hard to say this early. It just stuck out to me.

Sig has obviously read the rules including the on famous rule 10,
10. >>>Players are advised not to end any phase throughout their game with 4, 9, 13 written posts or multiples of those numbers.<<<
There isn't a rule 9, either. This seemed like saying something for the sake of being seen having something to say, BUT like I said, *meh*. This seems like a thread full of people playing it safe so far. So I am liking risk taking more than not.

I was not expecting to be playing, and have a crapton of stuff to do tonight (which is why I stole Ricos thunder and self announced, I only had a limited time to post). Toodles, citizens & Mafioso.

Linki, I hate no lynch. Grrr.
This does seem a little odd of SVS to point out about me.

I'm agaisnt no lynching, but don't find people who vote to no lynch to be more scummy/pingy.

I don't think there is any purpose in discussing the merits of lynching vs no lynching day 1 since nobody is going to change anyone's mind.
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

sig wrote:I don't think there is any purpose in discussing the merits of lynching vs no lynching day 1 since nobody is going to change anyone's mind.
I will always at least try. I think one method is a winning play and the other isn't. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
sig wrote:I don't think there is any purpose in discussing the merits of lynching vs no lynching day 1 since nobody is going to change anyone's mind.
I will always at least try. I think one method is a winning play and the other isn't. :p
me too. :slick:
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

:| 19.
ImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 28

Post by insertnamehere »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Scotty wrote:

I'll make an assertion that may or may not be correct (you know you better than I know you) based upon a feeling I have about most players in general. I bet that when you read early game posts, even those that seem quite minor, you still have an instinctive reaction of some kind. I suspect that it's not about you struggling to have a reaction, but rather you struggling to respect your reaction. To have a great deal of confidence in anything on Day 1, or in this case on Day 0, is impossible for any honest player. Still, confidence isn't the objective right now. Why not give those little twitches a chance to be free? Why not throw them into the game thread with reckless abandon and see what happens?

It's never going to be enough to condemn someone or to place complete trust in someone, but who cares? Let it ride, man!
I politely and respectfully disagree with all of this
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 28

Post by insertnamehere »

Also, hot. Maybe that's more my personal taste in women, but she's 100% hot to me.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 39

Post by Spacedaisy »

I tried to post earlier when I voted but my internet has been wonky this evening. I've never found Hillary Swank to be attractive, or hot any other word of the kind. :shrug: but to each their own.

Jay, you are saying you would rather we lynch you than we no lynch? If you are a civ, how would this be beneficial to us? You should know you are civ (assuming you are), and thus lynching you would mean we would be down two civs if a civ gets NKed, which seems likely, rather than one if we were to no lynch rather than lynching someone you know is a civ. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a no lynch. But I would rather a no lynch than my own lynch, because I know that it is not in the civs' favor. But I am not in favor of a no lynch versus someone I don't know that same thing about. So I am confused why you would prefer your own lynch over a no lynch. Please explain your reasoning there.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Yes. But instinctive reactions = / = production for me. I remember Epi talking in a precious game about how the meta can out meta people. If person A behaves a certain way often, then suddenly behaves a different way that isn't in line with their "meta" of a their usual alignment, they look suspicious. But by consciously trying to affect your appearance, you can more easily thwart and fool a person relying on tone.

You could be right some of the time, and I guess there is validity in predicting the predictable.

BUT then again, with experience comes a particular learned approach. You and SVS just happen to be tone reads people, and that seems to work for you.

I can look at someone like, say, Vompatti, and say "hey, he's not pushing any buttons, and has only offenses the Russians thus far this phase. He is [alignment] because of this." But I don't know Adam from Eve in day 1 in what makes someone look or sound suspicious with any level of certainty. Again, I envy that skillset, but I don't have it yet. I have to use it eventually, but that's not how I operate predominantly in Day 1.

As for "little twitches" and pings for people? I don't have any I can think of yet.
If that is suspicious, sue me.
There's a few people that haven't checked in. Let's start there.

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Spacedaisy wrote:I tried to post earlier when I voted but my internet has been wonky this evening. I've never found Hillary Swank to be attractive, or hot any other word of the kind. :shrug: but to each their own.

Jay, you are saying you would rather we lynch you than we no lynch? If you are a civ, how would this be beneficial to us? You should know you are civ (assuming you are), and thus lynching you would mean we would be down two civs if a civ gets NKed, which seems likely, rather than one if we were to no lynch rather than lynching someone you know is a civ. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a no lynch. But I would rather a no lynch than my own lynch, because I know that it is not in the civs' favor. But I am not in favor of a no lynch versus someone I don't know that same thing about. So I am confused why you would prefer your own lynch over a no lynch. Please explain your reasoning there.
Question 2: is there a female celebrity that you do find hot? :shifty:

Ah yes, you know I agree with this criticism. Day 1 lynches produce more info than no-lynches, but why even invite a self-lynch. In what world would that benefit town if you are town?

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

And this is my 14th post.

:sigh: this could get annoying.

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Spacedaisy wrote:I tried to post earlier when I voted but my internet has been wonky this evening. I've never found Hillary Swank to be attractive, or hot any other word of the kind. :shrug: but to each their own.

I believe a day phase which progresses without a lynch is the worst-case scenario. I would rather not be mislynched and I would fight any attempts to do so tooth and nail, but it's better than nobody being lynched. There is information in my mislynch. Those who live beyond me would be tasked with deciding what to do with that information -- I'd have to hope that the rest of the town team has the initiative to do something.

Nothing is worse than lynching nobody other than lynching a top power role, but when that happens on Day 1 I am typically inclined to blame the victim more than the voters. It should be quite unlikely if the players in those roles are doing their jobs.

I firmly believe that no lynching is an objectively terrible strategy to the point of being indefensible. I don't mean to imply Quin is dumb or even suspicious for disagreeing -- this is a debate I've engaged in many times.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Scotty wrote:Ah yes, you know I agree with this criticism. Day 1 lynches produce more info than no-lynches, but why even invite a self-lynch. In what world would that benefit town if you are town?
I didn't invite a self-lynch. This is the first suspicious post of the game.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Scotty wrote:Ah yes, you know I agree with this criticism. Day 1 lynches produce more info than no-lynches, but why even invite a self-lynch. In what world would that benefit town if you are town?
In your opinion.

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Scotty wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
In your opinion.
I'm not going to tack "IMO" to every assertion I make.

I made a controversial statement. Spacedaisy initiated a discussion about what makes my statement controversial (I don't take issue with that). You used her commentary as a means of joining the discussion to further the controversy by saying exactly what she said -- except with language which morphs what I said into something even more controversial.

Instead of "I'd rather be lynched myself than endure a no lynch", you termed it as though I said "I am willing to be lynched".

No likey.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

insertnamehere wrote:I politely and respectfully disagree with all of this
When this doesn't happen, Day 1 passes by like tumbleweed and nobody is any more capable of making a more confident read than they were before. I have watched many towns lose because they wait for the game to come to them. Not me, sir.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Scotty wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
In your opinion.
I'm not going to tack "IMO" to every assertion I make.

I made a controversial statement. Spacedaisy initiated a discussion about what makes my statement controversial (I don't take issue with that). You used her commentary as a means of joining the discussion to further the controversy by saying exactly what she said -- except with language which morphs what I said into something even more controversial.

Instead of "I'd rather be lynched myself than endure a no lynch", you termed it as though I said "I am willing to be lynched".

No likey.
:shrug2:
I'm giving you a "little twitch". I'm sorry it's on you.

By listing your #3 preference as getting lynched above a no-lynch, yes, I think you would be willing be lynched above a no-lynch. Why even mention that?

Return to “Previous Heists”