[ENDGAME] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 157

Re: [Day 1] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by thellama73 »

Mister Rearranger wrote:
thellama73 wrote:This is going to sound weird, but honestly, boo and MR are pinging me the most for saying that there's nothing useful to be gleaned from me being the one who cried out. I mean, they are right. There is nothing useful to be gleaned from that. But my intuition is telling me that they know I'm civ (or at least not on their team) and they know I am likely to get lynched early so they are purposely not going after me, when it would be easy to do so, so when I flip civ they can avoid having been a part of it and establish credibility.

I know that sounds crazy convoluted and insane, but that is what my gut said to me when I read their posts.
Would it make you feel better if I voted for you now then?
Nope.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 159

Post by Mister Rearranger »

thellama73 wrote:
Mister Rearranger wrote:
thellama73 wrote:This is going to sound weird, but honestly, boo and MR are pinging me the most for saying that there's nothing useful to be gleaned from me being the one who cried out. I mean, they are right. There is nothing useful to be gleaned from that. But my intuition is telling me that they know I'm civ (or at least not on their team) and they know I am likely to get lynched early so they are purposely not going after me, when it would be easy to do so, so when I flip civ they can avoid having been a part of it and establish credibility.

I know that sounds crazy convoluted and insane, but that is what my gut said to me when I read their posts.
Would it make you feel better if I voted for you now then?
Nope.
I'm curious to see where your theory about me would go from there; if I don't vote for you, but push a lynch that flips civ anyways, I'll still be in hot sh*t.

MrThomas voted without posting. O.o Teammate of yours, Lizzy? :p

But, I'm the most uneasy about Rey and MP so far.

*votes Reywas* (autocorrect made that "Feuds" at first, haha)
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I'm voting for Boo. He strikes me as shifty this game.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer

Sh*t, we can change our votes in the lynches too? Most excellent!

Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 118
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Vompirator: How do you feel about participating our usual vote exchange?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

johns2jj wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey johns2jj, did you receive anything as a result of the Day 0 poll?
Not so sure how the giving out info from pm rule applies so take that statement as you will. May give a more direct answer later if I don't feel like it will break a rule.
I PMed the host. We can discuss it.

In fact, @Epig: We can indeed discuss (any, assuming there are any) results from the Day 0 poll, correct?

Dom wrote:
Mister Rearranger wrote:After 1 full reread...

Elephant in the room: Mongoose's joking gchat post. I've been lynched bad for similar behavior, so I'm not forming an opinion on this until a response is given by Mongoose.

Players I'll be looking over again: Bullz and Rey

Players I may look over again: MP and Eloh

Feeling best about so far: Dom and (maybe) boo

EBWOP: MP, who did he vote for?
:ponder:
thellama73 wrote:
Mister Rearranger wrote:
Elephant in the room: Mongoose's joking gchat post. I've been lynched bad for similar behavior, so I'm not forming an opinion on this until a response is given by Mongoose.
Full disclosure: Mongoose and I are good friends IRL and talk constantly on gchat. We never violate mafia BTSC rules though and I do not have BTSC with her this game. I'm not trying to defend her, because I am thinking about voting for her today too (it is not like her to miss a vote) but I just thought you should know.
What would Mongoose gain from missing a vote?
Very good question.

thellama73 wrote:
FZ. wrote:The way I see it, people know not voting is going to draw attention to them, so scum would not allow themselves to miss a vote. Furthermore, I could maybe see scum avoiding a vote much later in the game, and having to make a really good excuse for it. But the night 0 poll? No one would miss it on purpose. .
This would be true if people behaved rationally in mafia, which experience has taught me they almost never do.
LOL, so true. This is why conceived notions of "what a civvie/baddie would logically do", "baddie behavior", etc. never make any sense.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I have to vote now.

As much as I hate to do it (because I love playing with you, MR, and it's so great you're back), I am voting for MR.

1. His "after 1 full reread" post strikes me as opportunistic and trying too hard, combined with the fact that he cannot seem to elaborate why he finds anyone more suspicious than anyone else, even after I asked.
2. His subtle pushing of Mongoose for a ridiculous reason seems possibly suspect. Even more possibly suspect is how he completely abandoned it.
3. His vote of rey, which as far as I can tell is completely unexplained in addition to his "vibe"-esque baddie read on me, just makes no sense.
4. Llama actually made a gambit/paranoid type post I sort of find some sort of value with for once! I do feel MR was specifically avoiding llama possibly for the exact reasons llama stated.
5. I really have no solid opinion or read on anyone else at this point, frankly.

votes MR

Sorry, bud, but only if you are a civvie. If you're bad, good riddance. :P
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer

MovingPictures07 wrote:I have to vote now.

As much as I hate to do it (because I love playing with you, MR, and it's so great you're back), I am voting for MR.

1. His "after 1 full reread" post strikes me as opportunistic and trying too hard, combined with the fact that he cannot seem to elaborate why he finds anyone more suspicious than anyone else, even after I asked.
2. His subtle pushing of Mongoose for a ridiculous reason seems possibly suspect. Even more possibly suspect is how he completely abandoned it.
3. His vote of rey, which as far as I can tell is completely unexplained in addition to his "vibe"-esque baddie read on me, just makes no sense.
4. Llama actually made a gambit/paranoid type post I sort of find some sort of value with for once! I do feel MR was specifically avoiding llama possibly for the exact reasons llama stated.
5. I really have no solid opinion or read on anyone else at this point, frankly.

votes MR

Sorry, bud, but only if you are a civvie. If you're bad, good riddance. :P
2. I never pushed for Mongoose. My "elephant in the room" comment was with regards to a push for her that I already found suspect. Now that she has responded, I do not think we should lynch her or Llama today.
5. After points 1, 3, and 4, your excuse-making is kind of a cop-out.
6. A vote for me would not be wise. Funny how you're catching so much heat in the other game, because I think THIS is you on your baddie isht. :srsnod:

1, 2, 3, 4, tell me that you love me more. :bass:

FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 153

Post by FZ. »

thellama73 wrote:
FZ. wrote:The way I see it, people know not voting is going to draw attention to them, so scum would not allow themselves to miss a vote. Furthermore, I could maybe see scum avoiding a vote much later in the game, and having to make a really good excuse for it. But the night 0 poll? No one would miss it on purpose. .
This would be true if people behaved rationally in mafia, which experience has taught me they almost never do.
That is true, but in most cases, they at least try to. The only way I can see a baddie (it's going to require some getting used to) saying that, is if they are using a reverse psychology on us, thinking we would say that baddies wouldn't do something so obvious. But Mongoose exchange with Llama, sounded genuine to me. At least that part.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Re: [Prologue] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by FZ. »

Hedgeowl wrote:
Mongoose wrote:Vomperdoodle - wanna trade votes?

Llama usually has the target on his back to die first, but I don't want to vote him in case it turns into an actual lynch or a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Or the winner gets a prize.
I have to go bake more bread.
You bring the bread and I'll make a pot of tea. :Mongoose: :tea:
That seems like the only thing you said so far. Sorry if I'm wrong about this. But if it is...really?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vomps, you utter troll. You were supposed to vote for me.

Mattmatt, same offer to you. (It's Day 1, I got nothin').

I can't believe no one laughed at my hilarious list of communication methods. :|

:Mongoose: <--- Look, it's me.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Re: [Prologue] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by Mongoose »

Hedgeowl wrote:
Mongoose wrote:Vomperdoodle - wanna trade votes?

Llama usually has the target on his back to die first, but I don't want to vote him in case it turns into an actual lynch or a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Or the winner gets a prize.
I have to go bake more bread.
You bring the bread and I'll make a pot of tea. :Mongoose: :tea:
I've been baking a ridic amount lately and giving the big ole fluffy loaves as presents. Right now I have a cranberry-infused iced tea.

FZ - Don't worry, she'll post, she always does - it's still early on.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

How do you guys cope with two games simultaneously? Which day ends sooner. Maybe that's the one I should focus on... :ponder:
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

FZ. wrote:How do you guys cope with two games simultaneously? Which day ends sooner. Maybe that's the one I should focus on... :ponder:
There have been times where I've been in three games at once. It is not easy though.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Also, don't lynch me today, guys. k? thx.

Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Nevinera »

MP's impression of MisterRearranger has added a small amount of weight to the scale, and I'm not sure I'll be back in time to vote after this, so I'm going to go ahead and put my vote there.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

FZ. wrote:How do you guys cope with two games simultaneously? Which day ends sooner. Maybe that's the one I should focus on... :ponder:
I cope very, very poorly. When I'm in three games simultaneously, I can only perform half-a$$. I can usually fully a$$ my way through two games, especially if one is a speed game. When I have just one game to marinate over and pour myself into, it's the ultra-a$$ed experience.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer

Mongoose: I know what you mean, I'm in 3 right now and signed up for 2 more. :omg: I definitely needed the practice though.
Nevinera wrote:MP's impression of MisterRearranger has added a small amount of weight to the scale, and I'm not sure I'll be back in time to vote after this, so I'm going to go ahead and put my vote there.
Well this does not satisfy... :stare:

Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 79

Post by Lizzy »

Mister Rearranger wrote:Mongoose: I know what you mean, I'm in 3 right now and signed up for 2 more. :omg: I definitely needed the practice though.
We can always make it easier for you though. :mafia:
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 64

Post by A Person »

Mongoose wrote:Vomps, you utter troll. You were supposed to vote for me.

I can't believe no one laughed at my hilarious list of communication methods. :|

I could do in voopvoop's place, i have nothing to go on either.
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 112

Post by Bullzeye »

I've just done a reread of the thread and am fairly stumped as to who might get my vote. I wasn't feeling good about MR and I sort of agree with MP's points about him, though I could see myself being talked away from that perspective. I was wondering about Llama a little after his day 0 comments to johns2jj (haven't come up with a good way to abbreviate that yet!) but I think that could just be Llama being a Llama.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

A Person wrote:

kk. Voting Mattmatt/A Person before I forget to do so.

Love,
:Mongoose:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Mister Rearranger wrote:Mongoose: I know what you mean, I'm in 3 right now and signed up for 2 more. :omg: I definitely needed the practice though.
Just do the best you can, and make sure the players in each game know you are a bit over-committed so they can interpret it how they wish if they perceive you as acting differently in a game. Like me, I'm typically an analyzer and a synthesizer and I also post goofy fluff too in-between. But when I'm spread too thin, my posts come across as rushed and not as thoughtful and SUPER SRS. You probably want to avoid getting into 4 games though or that would be total meltdown city haha.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

What's up with people asking others to vote for them? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the MR vote. While I can see where MP is coming from, and some of the points I can even agree, I'm not sure I want to bet on it just yet. Is this his usual game play? I know logic and mafia don't always work, but I can't help the way I view others and the post where he says who he feels good about, who he will look at again and all that seemed legit. I could totally see myself doing this kind of summary without really having good reasons to back it up, just instinct
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Bullzeye wrote: I was wondering about Llama a little after his day 0 comments to johns2jj (haven't come up with a good way to abbreviate that yet!) .
Have you considered "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt""? That's what I've been using.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I am curious as to why Thomas voted for me. I hope he can be bothered to explain.

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Mongoose wrote:
A Person wrote:

kk. Voting Mattmatt/A Person before I forget to do so.

Love,
:Mongoose:
Vote exchanged. Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

FZ. wrote:What's up with people asking others to vote for them? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the MR vote. While I can see where MP is coming from, and some of the points I can even agree, I'm not sure I want to bet on it just yet. Is this his usual game play? I know logic and mafia don't always work, but I can't help the way I view others and the post where he says who he feels good about, who he will look at again and all that seemed legit. I could totally see myself doing this kind of summary without really having good reasons to back it up, just instinct
FZ - It's a slightly better alternative than voting for yourself on Day 1. We exchange votes - Matt votes for me and I vote for him. No harm done usually. Since a couple of people already have 2 votes each, we are probably in the clear. Mainly, it's a time-buying device as it allows us to get our sealegs a little better. I generally think stuff like this is acceptable on Day 1 when there's usually not a lot of (legit) leads, but by Day 2, I think you can usually start (or adopt or ratify) a case on someone.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 57

Post by Elohcin »

Mister Rearranger wrote: @Eloh: As I'm finding out on another site in another game, "scum" and "town" are variants on our slangs for "baddies" and "civvies". I said "civ" in that game and people were like, "lolwut?", haha.
That's funny :)
Day 1 vote is difficult....*votes BWT*
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
boo
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

thellama73 wrote:I'm voting for Boo. He strikes me as shifty this game.
I'd vote trade this for ease, but you already have 2. Did either of them even post when they voted for you?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Bullzeye wrote: I was wondering about Llama a little after his day 0 comments to johns2jj (haven't come up with a good way to abbreviate that yet!) .
Have you considered "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt""? That's what I've been using.
I find this nomeclature a very succinct, concise, brief, and efficient abbreviation, that is to say I think it is an effective permutation of his moniker and I will wholly ratify its adoption henceforth.

(Pardon me, I've been reading Lemony Snicket and now I fear I am starting to adopt his speech meter and syntax).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

boo wrote:
I'd vote trade this for ease, but you already have 2. Did either of them even post when they voted for you?
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt did, but Thomas did not.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
boo wrote:
I think Mr Thomas is new to mafia (can someone confirm?) so he may not know it's the protocol to do so.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 112

Post by Bullzeye »

thellama73 wrote:
I'm too lazy to even consider that, I'm afraid :p
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
boo wrote:
I think Mr Thomas is new to mafia (can someone confirm?) so he may not know it's the protocol to do so.
He is new, which is the only reason I haven't come down on him like Mjolnir.

Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 57

Post by Elohcin »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
boo wrote:
Thomas is new...first time playing.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

So it is common to vote for yourself? It strikes me as something baddies would do to appear like they have nothing to hide. Why vote for yourself? Theoretically, you're the only one you could trust, so if I didn't know who to vote for, I'd randomize my vote, but definitely leave myself out
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

FZ. wrote:So it is common to vote for yourself? It strikes me as something baddies would do to appear like they have nothing to hide. Why vote for yourself? Theoretically, you're the only one you could trust, so if I didn't know who to vote for, I'd randomize my vote, but definitely leave myself out
I detest the practice personally, but have given up arguing about it. A random guess may yield a baddiee, but a self-vote is guaranteed to be against your interests. It has not historically been a strong indicator of baddieness, though, just wackiness.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
FZ. wrote:So it is common to vote for yourself? It strikes me as something baddies would do to appear like they have nothing to hide. Why vote for yourself? Theoretically, you're the only one you could trust, so if I didn't know who to vote for, I'd randomize my vote, but definitely leave myself out
I detest the practice personally, but have given up arguing about it. A random guess may yield a baddiee, but a self-vote is guaranteed to be against your interests. It has not historically been a strong indicator of baddieness, though, just wackiness.
We are like the last two people who need to indict wackiness.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

thellama73 wrote:
Yeah, I get you.

So I see you chose Boo. You were suspicious of both Boo and someone else...forgot who it was. Why did you choose Boo? Are we required to reach a minimum vote or does the person with most numbers work?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 108

Post by Dom »

thellama73 wrote:
Dom wrote:

Would you say the same of anyone who does not suspect you as of yet?
Nope.
I'm giong to vote for your voter then, John Jacob whatever.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 wrote:In fact, @Epig: We can indeed discuss (any, assuming there are any) results from the Day 0 poll, correct?
The Day 0 poll results (assuming there are any) may be discussed.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
We are like the last two people who need to indict wackiness.
I can be plenty wacky in the thread, but I take voting seriously.

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

When I vote for myself I know I won't die from one vote and I know I'm not accidentally lynching a civ by randomly guessing. Most hosts penalize players for not voting, so it's a way to throw a vote away when I don't feel like I can do something useful with it.
I generally switch between wanting to randomize and wanting to self vote depending on what mood i'm in.
boo
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

MR apparently had no interest in responding to this (and voted without any real reasons... I'll come back to this at some point even if it isn't this vote), so I have nothing to quote and say "here's why" easily from him, so I'll go back to what I've already said on it myself.

1) You were among 3 people who took 2 votes in d0, and we know powers had no impact on those votes, so it had to be randomized among the 3 of you.
2) The only one of you (you, MR, john) who have made it seem like they got anything out of it was john, your second voter. If (and for now I'll assume it is) true john got something, then the d0 poll is probably confined to usefulness in d0, and whoever gets killed first (or NKed, or whatever other theory you want to operate under that we discussed prior to the d0 results) is irrelevant to prize distribution.
3) It makes me think the prize was based around the idea of votes being insults (the prison vets yelling at the fish on their first night), with the final vote for a person being considered what broke the winner/loser of the poll (you) into crying.
4) None of this makes me think you are civ, or john, or anyone else. It has nothing to do with alignment all across the board, and so I'm discounting d0 wholesale (as far as the voting goes) in deciding who I'll be voting for.

As for the logic of going after you (or in this case, not), your entire argument falls apart when I can just as easily argue that I or MR were (or are in his case, I have no idea) a baddie, if your eventual lynch came around, piling onto you would still be quite easy at this point. You make it sound like I have said I think you're a civvie by saying d0 gives me nothing to go, which is entirely inaccurate. I wouldn't care enough about you as a baddie to create a scenario that would supposedly help me by giving me a, "welp, I called it, that's on you guys" path to credibility, because guessing someone is a civ in the early game is relatively worthless since there's over a 50% chance of it, so it establishes no credibility by pulling that guess out of your ass, and really only actually makes you look like a baddie since someone on either baddie team can eliminate 3 roles that you are not (since you're not on their team), upping the odds of a guess that you're being a civvie working out.

Anyways, mr thomas despite not posting did turn up to vote, which means there are no fall back votes for non-players, so I need to find something else. Going to get food and then I'll be back to actually figure out my vote.

~wellfuckyouallforpostingsomuch,I'lldealwithitlater.nospacesisyourpunishment
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer

There's less than an hour til lynch time. Would be nice to like, not die and stuff...

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mister Rearranger wrote:There's less than an hour til lynch time. Would be nice to like, not die and stuff...
Funny, I feel the same way.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

And thanks for the response, boo. It gives me much food for thought.

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

thellama73 wrote:
Mister Rearranger wrote:There's less than an hour til lynch time. Would be nice to like, not die and stuff...
If you send me money I'll change my vote.
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer

thellama73 wrote:
Well, I will not change my vote to you, no matter what happens.

Return to “Previous Side Missions”