Vanilla Mafia - [MELTED]

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 220

Re: Vanilla Mafia - Day 1

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm Improper usage of the word "literally" is literally the point of that tendency. I won't say that it is a clever or interesting thing for people to do so, but to render *corrections* is to miss the social queues underlying the trend. The appeal is drawn from that inaccuracy: even when something is not a literal truth, proclaiming that it is a literal truth anyway adds emphasis and levity.
Nah. Nobody thinks about it that hard to make it a "point."
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pmsprityo is bad. I'll see you gang tomorrow.
No he isn't. You are though. :charlieblackmon:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 169
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm Improper usage of the word "literally" is literally the point of that tendency. I won't say that it is a clever or interesting thing for people to do so, but to render *corrections* is to miss the social queues underlying the trend. The appeal is drawn from that inaccuracy: even when something is not a literal truth, proclaiming that it is a literal truth anyway adds emphasis and levity.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pmsprityo is bad. I'll see you gang tomorrow.
What are you even talking about? It is absolutely used for emphasis and I don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

Anyway does someone have the stats on sprityo self-voting with alignment?
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm
What are you even talking about? It is absolutely used for emphasis and I don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

Anyway does someone have the stats on sprityo self-voting with alignment?
I didn't say nobody uses it for emphasis. I said nobody thinks about it that hard to make a linguistic point.

I communicate clearly. Some people don't listen well. :rolleyes:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 216
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Vanilla Mafia - Day 0

Post by Sloonei »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 am
Sloonei wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 pm [VOTE: sprityo] aubergine
sprityo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm Let’s hope I don’t implode from playing two games at once because I’m a monkey brained fool.

Also Texas :beer:
Pre-emptive excuse for lack of participation. This man puts flavorful toppings on his ice cream.
Ice cream is a delicate thing that shouldn’t be blasphemies by toppings

The only acceptable one it a shake with oreos
i dunno about the self-vote, but I flung some poo flavored yogurt at sprityo and he responded with a too-casual joke that I didn’t like much.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Also: Determinism is to Free Will as Prescriptivism is to Descriptivism.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 pm
sprityo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm Let’s hope I don’t implode from playing two games at once because I’m a monkey brained fool.

Pre-emptive excuse for lack of participation. This man puts flavorful toppings on his ice cream.

i dunno about the self-vote, but I flung some poo flavored yogurt at sprityo and he responded with a too-casual joke that I didn’t like much.
Give me an example of a not-too-casual joke in this scenario.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 48
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pmI said nobody thinks about it that hard to make a linguistic point.
I didn't say that anyone does that. I would rather argue about this than play Mafia frankly.

There is no need for a person to make a conscious decision at the moment of speech I am going to say "literally" in a context where it would not be accurate because I desire to add emphasis and levity to my commentary. Instead, it is a trend stemming from habit with origins in that purpose. I would wager that nearly everyone who uses the term incorrectly is well aware that the topic in question is not truly "literal" if pressed. To issue corrections is therefore a waste of everyone's time and serves no greater purpose. Yes, thank you for that, I don't give a shit, I said what I said, these commas are also incorrect, I don't give a shit about that either. "Could care less" is much the same phenomenon, and while that one drives me nuts, it's just as silly to cram corrections into a discussion when a proper interpretation was already achieved.

Linguistic precision is only useful in a world where communicators can interpret inflections, tones, and intentions.

Now, if the dialogue involves English as something other than a first language, then there's a purpose.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
WaywardSon
Posts in topic: 41

Post by WaywardSon »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm There's only one MM around here, and it ain't MafiaMenance. :mafia:
Thats what hes called where he plays for short.
WaywardSon

Post by WaywardSon »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm There's only one MM around here, and it ain't MafiaMenance. :mafia:
I was just looking at his profile this morning, he hasn’t been on since November :(
I would poke him but I dont want to break a rule.
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 45

Post by ColinIsCool »

WaywardSon wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 pm
I was just looking at his profile this morning, he hasn’t been on since November :(
He’s referring to another user here. If you have a means of contacting MafiaMenace, though, I’d allow you to give a nudge.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pmI said nobody thinks about it that hard to make a linguistic point.
I didn't say that anyone does that. I would rather argue about this than play Mafia frankly.

There is no need for a person to make a conscious decision at the moment of speech I am going to say "literally" in a context where it would not be accurate because I desire to add emphasis and levity to my commentary. Instead, it is a trend stemming from habit with origins in that purpose. I would wager that nearly everyone who uses the term incorrectly is well aware that the topic in question is not truly "literal" if pressed. To issue corrections is therefore a waste of everyone's time and serves no greater purpose. Yes, thank you for that, I don't give a shit, I said what I said, these commas are also incorrect, I don't give a shit about that either. "Could care less" is much the same phenomenon, and while that one drives me nuts, it's just as silly to cram corrections into a discussion when a proper interpretation was already achieved.

Linguistic precision is only useful in a world where communicators can interpret inflections, tones, and intentions.

Now, if the dialogue involves English as something other than a first language, then there's a purpose.
I agree with none of that.

People who misuse words on a regular basis often cannot tell you what the word's literal meaning is. That's why they misuse words. If we want to throw "literally" into the trash can of slang, fine. It's in that bin that words often means the opposite of what they literally mean. Cool and hot can be synonymous in the trash bin of slang.

Not even James Joyce escapes my criticism:
Lily, the caretaker's daughter, was literally run off her feet.
My problem lies in people misusing words and being baffled that they were misunderstood. That's a big problem, and they often blame the other party for it, and in the worst scenarios, I've seen fights, simply because of linguistic ignorance. Hell, I've been accused of racism because I asked if anybody knew what "ignorant" meant, and someone said, "I don't know what that means, but I know it's something you do not call a black person." The irony.

I can't tolerate that shit.

The danger in this should be apparent: If others can use words as they please and those who correct them are vilified, then the former remain ignorant, and have license to impose their definitions in other contexts.

Don't think this is a problem?

Read any English version of the Bible.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Yeah what Jay said. People don't meticulously plan natural speech. And in casual writing it is true to an extent as well. Also idk what your point about determinism is but I am all about free will as well as descriptivism so.. sure?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 pm Yeah what Jay said. People don't meticulously plan natural speech. And in casual writing it is true to an extent as well. Also idk what your point about determinism is but I am all about free will as well as descriptivism so.. sure?
Then you're all about presceiptivism and determinism as well, is my point.

But I don't want to upset all this mafia hunting we've got going on here, so I'm going to give it arrest.

I can say arrest because it means what I want it to mean.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 28
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

i accidently voted instead of looking at votes so now i cant leave my vote on (host/non) now can I?
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Anyway if your argument is that kids these days literally don't know the traditional definition of "literally" then I think you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm

i accidently voted instead of looking at votes so now i cant leave my vote on (host/non) now can I?
You accidentally voted for yourself? :ponder:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm Anyway if your argument is that kids these days literally don't know the traditional definition of "literally" then I think you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.
"Kids these days"

"Grown ass people"

Same sorry ass conversational skills.
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm

no i voted host/non. that's what i just said
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

What have I done?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 pm

What
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 pm What have I done?
Literally destroyed the thread.

I'm done. I won't talk any further about any of this shit.

What would you like to talk about?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 pm

I think you called Jay bad earlier. What’s the deal with that?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

well taking the time to sit down and read all three pages has really enlightened me to the "progress we're making"

1. sloonei wants to ride my ass like im a carousel ride apparently. grasp at some more straws buddy
2. "literally" no one cares
3. Jay is a fuck approximately mountain sized.

like, how many times do i gotta freaking tell you people my jokes are not relevant in any sense. and it's one of my biggest peeves to get voted for it. second only to " *votes sprityo with no context* "

have fun with a literally dead thread.

anyone want to be intelligent or are we gonna hold our metaphorical dicks in our hands until we decide to last second lynch someone?
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

yknow what pal, ill give you a vote sloonei since voting for myself instead of the not allowed option is "gross"
Banners:
ImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 pm yknow what pal, ill give you a vote sloonei since voting for myself instead of the not allowed option is "gross"
Wait, I'm the one who said "gross" :confused:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sprit you are confusing me right and left. But I'm not sure if your angry burst here is more indicative of your civ nature or your bad nature.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm
sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:09 pm yknow what pal, ill give you a vote sloonei since voting for myself instead of the not allowed option is "gross"
stupid fucking blue names

fuck you chocolate jar

im gonna peace out before i make a mountain of fucks

point still stands, sloonei votes me for bs, jay votes me for no reason, nutella says im gross
Banners:
ImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Also I don't think you ever responded to Sloonei's initial accusation that you were preemptively excusing low participation.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:12 pm
nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm
stupid fucking blue names

fuck you chocolate jar

im gonna peace out before i make a mountain of fucks

point still stands, sloonei votes me for bs, jay votes me for no reason, nutella says im gross
Wow ok
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 14
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Just curious why did you want to vote host/non option? Are you saying the host killed himself?

I'm refraining from even commenting regarding the "literally" related conversation.
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 pm

I think you called Jay bad earlier. What’s the deal with that?
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm
G-Man wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:54 pm
Number three: I'm voting for JaggedJimmyJay.
Let us know why, when you have time. I’m going to cook dinner and take stock of everything after the kids are in bed. You know, because we have that wonderful extra 24 hours to utilize.
No reason.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

What do we all think of sprityo then? He’s the one person who’d done something actually worth talking about in a mafia context.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Elohcin »

G-Man wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm
nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm [VOTE: g-man] aubergine That is bullshit and you know it
nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm Mister "I-read-the-entire-dictionary" over here calling someone out for using a sense of a word that is literally in the dictionary. How much faker can it get??
LOL, I was busting his balls after all the over-analyzing he did at the beginning of A World Asunder. I was fishing for a reaction out of Sloonei but you gave me something even better to analyze.

So, would baddie nutella:

A) try to capitalize on the first person to throw shade for flimsy reasons in an attempt to start an early mislynch train?

B) attempt to buddy an oftentimes supertown Sloonei to get in his good graces while also setting him up to look bad if she were to flip mafia based on her swift rush to defend him?

C) both A and B?

Would civvie nutella:

A) be prone to such a swift overreaction to a fishing attempt (that didn’t even result in a vote) based on her background in linguistics?

B) have a cooler, more level-headed approach to Day 1?
C and B

@nutella - Pancake is skinhead lit obey utter damned tuners.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm What do we all think of sprityo then? He’s the one person who’d done something actually worth talking about in a mafia context.
What'd he do? Make a joke?

Fuck outta here.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Elohcin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm
Equal obey monograms.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 am
Elohcin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm
Equal obey monograms.
Hey take it to the bedroom you perverts. :suspish:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm What do we all think of sprityo then? He’s the one person who’d done something actually worth talking about in a mafia context.
The one and only? I'd disagree with that assertion. You, G-Man, Jay, Epi, and myself have all produced game-relevant content.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 90

Post by reywaS »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm
nutella wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 pm Yeah what Jay said. People don't meticulously plan natural speech. And in casual writing it is true to an extent as well. Also idk what your point about determinism is but I am all about free will as well as descriptivism so.. sure?
Then you're all about presceiptivism and determinism as well, is my point.

But I don't want to upset all this mafia hunting we've got going on here, so I'm going to give it arrest.

I can say arrest because it means what I want it to mean.
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

Some day, Some day
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

"Above is a guide on how to motorboat Kim Kardashian."
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

sprityo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm well taking the time to sit down and read all three pages has really enlightened me to the "progress we're making"

1. sloonei wants to ride my ass like im a carousel ride apparently. grasp at some more straws buddy
2. "literally" no one cares
3. Jay is a fuck approximately mountain sized.

like, how many times do i gotta freaking tell you people my jokes are not relevant in any sense. and it's one of my biggest peeves to get voted for it. second only to " *votes sprityo with no context* "

have fun with a literally dead thread.

anyone want to be intelligent or are we gonna hold our metaphorical dicks in our hands until we decide to last second lynch someone?
Some day, Some day
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

nutella wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 am
The one and only? I'd disagree with that assertion. You, G-Man, Jay, Epi, and myself have all produced game-relevant content.
Some day, Some day
reywaS
Money Launderer

Post by reywaS »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 am Image

"Above is a guide on how to motorboat Kim Kardashian."
Some day, Some day
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 am

Fuck outta here.
I give this answer an F.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am
Epignosis wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 am

Fuck outta here.
I give this answer an F.
I don't give a F.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[VOTE: Epignosis] aubergine
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 94

Post by G-Man »

Looks like a fair portion of last night’s discussion should have literally been in Off-Topic Green.

Though I must say that it was a fantastic read. Coincidentally (because using ‘ironically’ would be inappropriate), my wife’s school district has this One District, One Book program going, where all the elementary schools read the same book. Right now, they’re reading Frindle, in which a smart aleck kid rebels against his strict, dictionary-loving English Language Arts teacher by creating a new word for ‘pen’ and getting his classmates to go along with it despite the protestations of said teacher.

I’ll take stock in what the thread has produced and get back to you this afternoon. Anyone have a player list with ISO links? I can’t/don’t know how to generate one while phone posting.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 45

Post by ColinIsCool »

I’ll be on my phone throughout today, but I’ll attempt to generate ISO links anyway.
MafiaMenace
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 299

Post by MafiaMenace »

checking in so i dont get replaced
my b
You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn’t it? I’m sure you’ll overcome this. You’ll walk again… soon.
WaywardSon

Post by WaywardSon »

ColinIsCool wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 pm
WaywardSon wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 pm
He’s referring to another user here. If you have a means of contacting MafiaMenace, though, I’d allow you to give a nudge.
theoutlaw321Today at 9:14 AM
Game on The Syndicate http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/viewto ... 83#p509383
I was told I could let you know.

Return to “Previous Heists”