Total votes: 13
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 233
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Grasslands [Game Thread]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:33 amThe part I'm concerned about is that you're using that as a replacement for actually defending yourself or trying to show your towniness.
Yeah I don't think this works often enough to be a good way to spend my posts. People make their reads and then struggle with their internal confirmation biases regardless of defense. I will "clear" myself as well as I can by trying to solve the game, and I just have to hope people see it.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am
Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:33 amThe part I'm concerned about is that you're using that as a replacement for actually defending yourself or trying to show your towniness.
Yeah I don't think this works often enough to be a good way to spend my posts. People make their reads and then struggle with their internal confirmation biases regardless of defense. I will "clear" myself as well as I can by trying to solve the game, and I just have to hope people see it.
Yeah but what I'm getting at is that if people are like "hey I think you're scummy because of XYZ" and the response is "that's what everyone always says", then I'm not going to be very impressed by that response since it's just a dodge answer.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Long Con in The 7th Saga (as mafia) opened the game with some silly business, but he also sprinkled in relevant stuff to stay involved with the "hunt". This time is more exclusively silly. So from that generic meta standpoint one could say he is different from that game. There's no effort here to be something he's not.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
staypositivefriend
Hitman
Posts in topic: 219

Post by staypositivefriend »

Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:35 am
Yeah but what I'm getting at is that if people are like "hey I think you're scummy because of XYZ" and the response is "that's what everyone always says", then I'm not going to be very impressed by that response since it's just a dodge answer.
what do u feel like you're getting out of this exchange with jagged right now? is it helping you read him?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 am Yeah but what I'm getting at is that if people are like "hey I think you're scummy because of XYZ" and the response is "that's what everyone always says", then I'm not going to be very impressed by that response since it's just a dodge answer.
That's fine. I had no desire to impress when I made my post. I had a laugh instead. Nickels, Alison. So many nickels.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm trying to work out the numbers here to settle into a legitimate process of elimination game. At 10 vs. 3 with standard mechanics, that leaves 3 mischops available with 3 mafia (initial POE of 3+3=6 needed). As far as I can tell, the unique mechanics of this game should not change that. Two players still die each cycle, all else being equal. I will leave our resident mechanics gurus to yell at me if this is somehow incorrect. Perhaps work with a POE pool of 5 instead to be conservative/safe. Either way I think six is a good Day 1 target number.

If you'd like to help JaggedJimmyJay build The Six (civilians), and you promise not to be a Sheppard and make him look dumb, then it would be appreciated.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Alison

Post by Alison »

staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:43 am what do u feel like you're getting out of this exchange with jagged right now? is it helping you read him?
I actually made my initial post about it bothering me because I felt it increased JJJ and Sloonei's scum equity and wanted to convince others to also suspect them more. Then JJJ responded in an attempt to try to rebut my line of reasoning by saying he always does that because it's an age-old meme, etc., so now I am clarifying what I meant so people understand what I am talking about and see why my view is sound. This is why #249 is mostly explaining my reasoning and the consequences of that line of logic.

I don't think the exchange has affected my read on JJJ significantly.
staypositivefriend
Hitman

i was just iso'ing martin/thurnal, and i was expecting to come out of it with a scum-lean on thurnal and a townread on martin. weirdly enough, i'm kinda feeling like i'm in the exact opposite position. martin left a strong impression on me with his early townread on thurnal, but his logic doesn't read as: "this is a perspective that is DEFINITELY coming from a town mindset" in the same way that it did when it was happening in the moment. i also wasn't particulary moved by any of his other posts

on the contrary, i actually quite like how much of an open book thurnal is. the way that she unflinchingly accept hally's meta on nutella on #156 and the way that she explicitly brings attention to alison's meta to townread them on #130 does not strike me as somebody who is trying to play the game with an agenda

i'm not completely sure i'll feel the same way when i wake up tomorrow, but i'm especially interested in hearing more from martin right now
staypositivefriend
Hitman

staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:54 am i was just iso'ing martin/thurnal, and i was expecting to come out of it with a scum-lean on thurnal and a townread on martin. weirdly enough, i'm kinda feeling like i'm in the exact opposite position. martin left a strong impression on me with his early townread on thurnal, but his logic doesn't read as: "this is a perspective that is DEFINITELY coming from a town mindset" in the same way that it did when it was happening in the moment. i also wasn't particulary moved by any of his other posts

on the contrary, i actually quite like how much of an open book thurnal is. the way that she unflinchingly accept hally's meta on nutella on #156 and the way that she explicitly brings attention to alison's meta to townread them on #130 does not strike me as somebody who is trying to play the game with an agenda

i'm not completely sure i'll feel the same way when i wake up tomorrow, but i'm especially interested in hearing more from martin right now
thunal****** i have no idea how i misread usernames so easily
tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 420

Post by tutuu »

[mention]nutella[/mention] i went back to look for the vote tally and saw you adorably laying in the sand and sleeping on page 3 ... gosh i rly wanna kiss your forehead and stroke your furry head and honk your wet nose... u have no idea. pls come sleep in my lap the next time
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:54 am i was just iso'ing martin/thurnal, and i was expecting to come out of it with a scum-lean on thurnal and a townread on martin. weirdly enough, i'm kinda feeling like i'm in the exact opposite position. martin left a strong impression on me with his early townread on thurnal, but his logic doesn't read as: "this is a perspective that is DEFINITELY coming from a town mindset" in the same way that it did when it was happening in the moment. i also wasn't particulary moved by any of his other posts

My view of Martin is very vague, so I think that's agreeable enough. I have no significant "complaints". I agree about Thurnal though. After looking over their ISO I felt more secure about their sincerity than anyone else here save maybe tutuu. I will temper that with the meta-related question I asked earlier (regarding how Thurnal usually hunts re: town reads and suspects), but in the absence of an answer to that I like them.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I did it too. Sorry Thunal. :goofp:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm good just calling SPF town now.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Alison

Post by Alison »

Martin is just a very transparent player I think. There's something about the way he talks about managing information and how he feels his tell on Thunal can only be used once that rings of truth to me; I can sense the paranoia about being fooled by scum there. Honestly even this is like some attempt at verbalizing or rationalizing a gut read that was probably made for murkier reasons though.

I think I find players easier to read if their playstyle is similar to mine (duh). For instance I found proto's approach to the game very easy to read and vibe with, and I have a good track record of reading proto because of that. I suspect Martin is a similar case, and I townread him.
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

im not seeing spf town but i didnt see her last game too so its correct for me to just sheep; if she gets some more townreads imma just sheep

town votes:
tutuu - 2 - alison, tutuu
nanook - 1 - nutella
spf - 1 - hally

scum votes:
sloonei - 4 - alison, nutella, hally, tutuu
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 131
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:31 am If @NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME gives me just one nice hunt-oriented post I will give him a free town read, as long as I feel the effort was genuine.
Ok you can have one

Alison and tutu >rand town (tutu significantly >rand, would only consider her partners with Hally)

Hally also >rand town, which ties back to part of why tutu is significantly above rand town imo

I think sloon seems townie but I’ll almost certainly just sheep your reads on each other at the end of the day, unless I think you’re both mafia ofc but no reason to think that atp, so pretty content to sheep your reads on each other when/where relevant

Nutella probably slightly>rand town but not super confident

Martin seems townie

That’s where I am rn. Have some scattered miscellaneous thoughts but those are the only ones I have enough confidence in to be worth mentioning. Now I’m gonna return to not posting in an effort to retain a tiebreaker if necessary.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

ok i will admit something - pre game i was fantasizing about finally randing scum, and i rly wanted to cuz i thought i had great chances to win if i did, since i expected / hoped most ppl would townread me like they always do and choose me to be the gun carrier all game, and that would give me excuse as scum to not die. cuz when i finally roll scum my biggest concern would be to explain how i am alive despite being so towny

so i was already constructing some posts to make around mid-game if i was scum about how i offer u guys to not put me as the gun carrier to ease off ur paranoia but i would feel sad if u choose to do so

so now its all getting mixed up. since im actually town, but i thought SO much about what i'd do as scum that the two different agendas are now mixing in my head. im not sure if i were to express sadness now if yall wanan be paranoid of me if that sadness will be genuine or is that habit from my prep talk about what i'd do if im scum.

i dunno whats the point of this post honestly sorry if its a bit fluffy. but. i thought about it so i click submit. a town must always be honest!

i guess my point was that d1 might be rly important for us to select someone we all agree is lock town. the other towniest players are gonna die every night. so like. could u argue day 1 is most important in this game? cuz it ... greatly impacts f3, if it ever comes down to it? yah. maybe. hmm
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

well i suppose we dont need to keep picking the same player every night, we could just dynamically change our reads on whos the towniest player every single day. maybe that can change depending on flips and dynamics and stuff
novaselinenever
Hitman
Posts in topic: 52

Post by novaselinenever »

novaselinenever
Hitman

nutella wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:01 pm Image

well hello
bad
novaselinenever
Hitman

only scum post entrance images with text
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 am only scum post entrance images with text
what about me
novaselinenever
Hitman

staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:02 pm hi friends!
are you going to stab me in the back? Image
novaselinenever
Hitman

Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Dyslexicon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm If the game reaches a Final Three, they will all be sent to The Grasslands. All dead town players will vote for which one of these players shall carry out the final execution kill.
Nice twist!
lolol
novaselinenever
Hitman

not sure if something is going on with the forum or my internet just sucks
novaselinenever
Hitman

staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:25 pm i already have one townread. anyone wanna guess who it is?
me :noble:
novaselinenever
Hitman

tutuu wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:03 am
novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:02 am only scum post entrance images with text
what about me
you said not today, you're good
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

CaRoTtE ViCiOuSlY eAtInG tHe LiViNg FlEsH oF hEr HuMaN mAsTeR

(wArNiNg: BlOoD aNd GoRe)

tutuu

Post by tutuu »

us: carotte, are you mafia?

carotte: Image
novaselinenever
Hitman

I've read the thread.

r/IAmA
novaselinenever
Hitman

Spoiler alert, it felt more like reading for a book report lol. Having difficulty internalizing much.
novaselinenever
Hitman

It kind of feels like playing in a new community. Haven't played with more than half the player list, that's wild.
novaselinenever
Hitman

I'm kind of nervous lolol
Alison

Post by Alison »

It's like 6 pages so if you find yourself having difficulties engaging with the content just chill and talk to us and you'll get into the swing of things. Contrary to popular belief it is not necessary to read every single word posted in a game to play well in it.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Maybe start by reading the posts of people you're familiar with and trying to get a sense of their alignments?
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 am I'm kind of nervous lolol
pat pat nova its okay :blush: its just a silly game about yelling on the internet :hugs:
novaselinenever
Hitman

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 am
Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Dyslexicon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm If the game reaches a Final Three, they will all be sent to The Grasslands. All dead town players will vote for which one of these players shall carry out the final execution kill.
Nice twist!
lolol
Going back to this, initial scum lean on LC. Not a big fan of using the host as an icebreaker to get into the thread, it also kind of feels off since the same text was present in the sign up thread for over a week now. The comment itself is also pretty bland, he isn't really adding anything to the mech convo.

As for the "lolol", that was basically my reaction to it 'cause I often scum read LC and it's a "why are you always so scummy LC" lol. He's more often than not scum, so no my fault :noble:
novaselinenever
Hitman

Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 am It's like 6 pages so if you find yourself having difficulties engaging with the content just chill and talk to us and you'll get into the swing of things. Contrary to popular belief it is not necessary to read every single word posted in a game to play well in it.
tutuu wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:39 am
novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 am I'm kind of nervous lolol
pat pat nova its okay :blush: its just a silly game about yelling on the internet :hugs:
I'm joking lol, it's all good. Y'all are sweet, thanks though.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Kind of think nova town for the way they went about reading LC.
novaselinenever
Hitman

tutuu wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:42 am ok i will admit something - pre game i was fantasizing about finally randing scum, and i rly wanted to cuz i thought i had great chances to win if i did, since i expected / hoped most ppl would townread me like they always do and choose me to be the gun carrier all game, and that would give me excuse as scum to not die. cuz when i finally roll scum my biggest concern would be to explain how i am alive despite being so towny

so i was already constructing some posts to make around mid-game if i was scum about how i offer u guys to not put me as the gun carrier to ease off ur paranoia but i would feel sad if u choose to do so

so now its all getting mixed up. since im actually town, but i thought SO much about what i'd do as scum that the two different agendas are now mixing in my head. im not sure if i were to express sadness now if yall wanan be paranoid of me if that sadness will be genuine or is that habit from my prep talk about what i'd do if im scum.

i dunno whats the point of this post honestly sorry if its a bit fluffy. but. i thought about it so i click submit. a town must always be honest!

i guess my point was that d1 might be rly important for us to select someone we all agree is lock town. the other towniest players are gonna die every night. so like. could u argue day 1 is most important in this game? cuz it ... greatly impacts f3, if it ever comes down to it? yah. maybe. hmm
This is damn good post if you're scum lol.
novaselinenever
Hitman

It gave you tons of townie points from me. Use them well!
novaselinenever
Hitman

You've actually been a on roller coaster while I was reading the thread. Loved your entrance, didn't like the push on Sloonei and you've been trending up this last page.
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:46 am It gave you tons of townie points from me. Use them well!
omg omg omg i am .... i am ... i am ....

*looks at alison*

*looks at the ground*

*looks at alison*

*looks at the ground again*

i ..... am a power role!
novaselinenever
Hitman

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:42 am Lol crosspost nutella :p
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 am
Carotenoid wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 am I don't get the commotion about Sloonei tbh, I believe that he believes in his read. :P
What makes you believe him?
I "get" his thought process, it doesn't seem like a stretch to me. I wouldn't townread him for that, but clearly don't share the ~general scumread he got for this read.
Carotenoid is mafia, take it to the bank. My scare quote tell has never failed me.
novaselinenever
Hitman

100% success rate.

NEVA LOST
novaselinenever
Hitman

It comes from the mentality of a wolf that wants to emphasize on how she gets Sloonei. It's like she wants to put some distance between her and whatever Sloonei did and was scumread for. She doesn't want to misunderstood and be like lumped in with him.

Feel like a townie wouldn't care to make that distinction I think. Or it'll like never come to their thought at all since they'd be posting more naturally and this is usually the byproduct of carefully formatting posts and reviewing the content you put out there on the thread.
novaselinenever
Hitman

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 am 100% success rate.

NEVA LOST
Disclaimer: 1 out of 1 lool
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 131
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

I’m using a post just to say that nova is hard town, that’s how confident I am in the read
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

novaselinenever wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 am 100% success rate.

NEVA LOST
if u change some letters from NEVA LOST it becomes NOVA TELS

this means your read is a trustworthy tell. i sheep it

slight townread on nova, slight scumread on carotte. however as someone pointed out if carotte is scum she likely TMI'd sloonei town, so i dont think they're w/w

Tutuu
Nutella
Alison
Long Con
Hally
novaselineever

Carotte (but not w/w with sloonei)
Sloonei (but not w/w with carotte)
novaselinenever
Hitman