Eh alright
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 200
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Arrowverse Mafia - Day 0

Post by nutella »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
Strawmanning my proposition. Scummy.
No. He's stating something that is more or less taken for granted on this site. What's going on here is culture clash, but it's not scummy.

Two potential problems with your plan that are more specific than just general cultural aversion:
(1) DF didn't specify this but in many games on this site players are really not supposed to miss the vote and can be admonished/modkilled/replaced for not voting because it's viewed as a "participation score" and again this is a cultural thing but even if it's not in the rules by the host, it's viewed as poor play and not pro-town because, again, we value the lynch poll as the main tool of the town faction to win the game.
(2) This isn't necessarily clear in the role description but I'd guess that Felicity's role is restricted to the night phase and would not have had a chance to get a peek by day 1. I could be wrong about this though.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ultra
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 201

Post by Ultra »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:26 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
Strawmanning my proposition. Scummy.
No. He's stating something that is more or less taken for granted on this site. What's going on here is culture clash, but it's not scummy.

Two potential problems with your plan that are more specific than just general cultural aversion:
(1) DF didn't specify this but in many games on this site players are really not supposed to miss the vote and can be admonished/modkilled/replaced for not voting because it's viewed as a "participation score" and again this is a cultural thing but even if it's not in the rules by the host, it's viewed as poor play and not pro-town because, again, we value the lynch poll as the main tool of the town faction to win the game.
(2) This isn't necessarily clear in the role description but I'd guess that Felicity's role is restricted to the night phase and would not have had a chance to get a peek by day 1. I could be wrong about this though.
I said it was a strawman because I was not suggesting the entire town abstain D1, but I guess I didn't make that very clear
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 815
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Let's decide whether or not a thing is pingworthy, gang.
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 pm
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm @Ultra what does your scum hunting look like? What types of games are you used to playing, mechanics/setup-wise? What kind of pizza did you get earlier?
This is, like, the opposite of what I saw last game. :ponder:

Also hi guys
What did you see last game?
Ultra has hesitant to interact with the thread, which is why I voted him D1. He spoke mostly to Nova, who was answering whatever was thrown his way. Some weird dependent thing.

This game, Ultra has already made a hot take and claimed that he's going to flex on the thread (not hesitant), and you're buzzing him with questions as if he needs the help. (Where Nova was just whatever about it)

Enough for an early townread on Ultra. Not sure what to think of all your questions yet. Feels kinda like fluff, but it's also something you do with new players.
The highlighted portion feels tacked on and arbitrary. Speedchuck has shared a straightforward read about Ultra when prompted. He then adds a nothing read on Sloonei which acknowledges that he is observing Regular Sloonei Behavior, but quibbles over it anyway. Why does this non-read on Sloonei exist?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm Now if the host comes out and says something like that is a no go, that's one thing. Though as a host myself, I feel like that's a gray area.

But if we can do it I don't see why it wouldn't work. The buy in would be "if you stick to the plan town benefits", so if you're not in you're automatically suspect. Then we proceed to get a D1 lynch of any role we want to.
I am not the host but based on my years of experience on this site, I think that your proposal would be considered a violation.

As for my strategic objection: I think that the most important weapon a civilian has is their vote. A plan which involves have everybody abstain from voting on Day 1 is essentially waving the white flag on Day 1. Mafia get to kill somebody before we've tried to lynch them, and the activity that would normally take place on Day 1 is delayed until Day 2.
The plan would only have everyone abstain until the felicia player casts their first vote. Not sustain for the entire day. We would get a D1 scum lynch. Sorry if that was not clear.
......even with all the other problems, this would never work. You just expect to assume the first player to vote is that role? Not a random scum voting for a town to get everyone to pile their votes on and go on their merry way?

I feel like you just didn't even think that through
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
I would speculate that Ultra probably just comes from a community that's more accustomed to roleclaiming and mechanical hijinks than we are. He's thinking outside the box and, like speedchuck said before me, he's being very proactive and throwing himself into the thick of things right off the bat here, which contrasts with his Scrimmage entry.

I think he's town. He's just looking at the game from a different vantage point than the Syndicate is used to.
Yeah, this. I think it's an incredibly bad idea but I don't think he's suspicious, just comes from a different way of thinking.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 451

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 pm Let's decide whether or not a thing is pingworthy, gang.
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm @Ultra what does your scum hunting look like? What types of games are you used to playing, mechanics/setup-wise? What kind of pizza did you get earlier?

Also hi guys
Ultra has hesitant to interact with the thread, which is why I voted him D1. He spoke mostly to Nova, who was answering whatever was thrown his way. Some weird dependent thing.

This game, Ultra has already made a hot take and claimed that he's going to flex on the thread (not hesitant), and you're buzzing him with questions as if he needs the help. (Where Nova was just whatever about it)

Enough for an early townread on Ultra. Not sure what to think of all your questions yet. Feels kinda like fluff, but it's also something you do with new players.
The highlighted portion feels tacked on and arbitrary. Speedchuck has shared a straightforward read about Ultra when prompted. He then adds a nothing read on Sloonei which acknowledges that he is observing Regular Sloonei Behavior, but quibbles over it anyway. Why does this non-read on Sloonei exist?
Because he's bad. Probably. Let's hang him. Maybe.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 pm I don't suspect Ultra. Bottom line.

I suspect Matahari.
Eh?
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 pm

I suspect Matahari.
Eh?
Do you...object to me suspecting Matahari?

Or do you object to me not suspecting Ultra?
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm Now if the host comes out and says something like that is a no go, that's one thing. Though as a host myself, I feel like that's a gray area.

But if we can do it I don't see why it wouldn't work. The buy in would be "if you stick to the plan town benefits", so if you're not in you're automatically suspect. Then we proceed to get a D1 lynch of any role we want to.
I am not the host but based on my years of experience on this site, I think that your proposal would be considered a violation.

As for my strategic objection: I think that the most important weapon a civilian has is their vote. A plan which involves have everybody abstain from voting on Day 1 is essentially waving the white flag on Day 1. Mafia get to kill somebody before we've tried to lynch them, and the activity that would normally take place on Day 1 is delayed until Day 2.
The plan would only have everyone abstain until the felicia player casts their first vote. Not sustain for the entire day. We would get a D1 scum lynch. Sorry if that was not clear.
......even with all the other problems, this would never work. You just expect to assume the first player to vote is that role? Not a random scum voting for a town to get everyone to pile their votes on and go on their merry way?

Uh, no.

It would be just like a cop vs cop fake claim scenario. If scum wants to fake claim, they get contested by the felicia player. We know one of them is scum, and one of them is felicia. We could lynch between the two and in fact, if the peeked scum is different than the fake claiming scum (likely), that's two right there.

I thought it through very well thank you very much :mad:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Uh, no.

It would be just like a cop vs cop fake claim scenario. If scum wants to fake claim, they get contested by the felicia player. We know one of them is scum, and one of them is felicia. We could lynch between the two and in fact, if the peeked scum is different than the fake claiming scum (likely), that's two right there.

There's no claiming in this game.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Trust me on this: If you want to hone your Mafia skills, a classic Syndicate game like this one is worth your while. No claims, no info- just stare into people's souls on the Internet.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Uh, no.

There's no claiming in this game.
But you see-

alright, subject officially dropped
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

This is part of the reason why I'm in no hurry to read all of the roles in the setup. It's never that bit of a deal to me early on. I know my role and I know how I want to approach the game as a civilian. That's all I need to get started.
This this this
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm Trust me on this: If you want to hone your Mafia skills, a classic Syndicate game like this one is worth your while. No claims, no info- just stare into people's souls on the Internet.
Philosophical disagreement since claiming, fake claiming, info complexity aid depth to games. I'm totally for copless games but no claim is weird for me. I'll adapt though.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

This is part of the reason why I'm in no hurry to read all of the roles in the setup. It's never that bit of a deal to me early on. I know my role and I know how I want to approach the game as a civilian. That's all I need to get started.
This this this
Except for my typo
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm Trust me on this: If you want to hone your Mafia skills, a classic Syndicate game like this one is worth your while. No claims, no info- just stare into people's souls on the Internet.
Philosophical disagreement since claiming, fake claiming, info complexity aid depth to games. I'm totally for copless games but no claim is weird for me. I'll adapt though.
I happen to agree. Roll with it though.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I've got Ultra and Sloonei as civilians. Anybody else want to join the party?
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

This is multiball so I'm not even going to try to town hunt except in a passive sense. It's easy for indi's to pass. It's easy for scum to pass when they're hunting other scum.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Got any impressions on particular players so far?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 pm This is multiball so I'm not even going to try to town hunt except in a passive sense. It's easy for indi's to pass. It's easy for scum to pass when they're hunting other scum.
Spoken like a true civilian. :smoky:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Though, I appreciate the universal town read, and if we can find townies, it goes a long way Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 pm Though, I appreciate the universal town read, and if we can find townies, it goes a long way Image
Shit we just got Ultra recruited.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 pm Let's decide whether or not a thing is pingworthy, gang.

Also hi guys

Why not?

Why does this non-read on speedchuck exist?

Why does anything exist?
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 pm

I suspect Matahari.
Eh?

No I'm wondering why you brought up Matahari. I'm not objecting, just kind of perplexed and wanting elaboration.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:47 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 pm Though, I appreciate the universal town read, and if we can find townies, it goes a long way Image
Shit. Maybe I should start scumming ahead of time in anticipation.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 pm

I suspect Matahari.
Eh?

No I'm wondering why you brought up Matahari. I'm not objecting, just kind of perplexed and wanting elaboration.
I can suspect anyone I like. I'm eccentric.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Uh, no.

Right, ok, whatever. But claiming's not allowed so that wouldn't work either (except that we'd eventually find out it was a mislynch)
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:47 pm
Shit. Maybe I should start scumming ahead of time in anticipation.
Rip has an incentive to recruit bad people though.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 pm

But you see-

alright, subject officially dropped
...k sorry I'll stop I'm responding before reading the rest of the recent posts XD
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Yeah -- I sometimes get the sense that players on sites with more of a focus on mechanical deduction via claims are playing a very different game.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

On that note I still strongly recommend that felicity targets rip hunter and try and hint/breadcrumb as much as they can in the confines of the rules.

Anyone disagree?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Also hi guys

Why not?

Why does anything exist?
I have substantiated a gripe that I have with a Speedchuck post on Day 0. It exists to bolster the conversation in the thread.

Speedchuck gave an indecisive wave of the hand. I'd like him to tell us what it means, and I'd like other people to comment on it.

Why does your response exist?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm On that note I still strongly recommend that felicity targets rip hunter and try and hint/breadcrumb as much as they can in the confines of the rules.

Anyone disagree?
Yes.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm On that note I still strongly recommend that felicity targets rip hunter and try and hint/breadcrumb as much as they can in the confines of the rules.

Anyone disagree?
I do not object to this recommendation, but I take it as only that: a recommendation.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Anyone disagree?
Yes.
I'd like some host clarification on whether Rip can recruit baddies, I assumed not given flavor and balance

[mention]DFaraday[/mention]
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm
I have substantiated a gripe that I have with a Speedchuck post on Day 0. It exists to bolster the conversation in the thread.

Speedchuck gave an indecisive wave of the hand. I'd like him to tell us what it means, and I'd like other people to comment on it.

I don't feel strongly about it either way. It's something I can easily imagine myself saying as well, as a general impulse to sort out what I'm thinking about people who have been active in the thread so far.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:55 pm

I don't feel strongly about it either way. It's something I can easily imagine myself saying as well, as a general impulse to sort out what I'm thinking about people who have been active in the thread so far.
What is your read on the player called Sloonei so far?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Also hi guys

Why not?

Why does anything exist?

Your behavior might be meta consistent but that's independent of how it looks on the surface. It feels like he was weighing between the two rather than giving a hedgy read.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 pm
nutella wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:55 pm

What is your read on the player called Sloonei so far?
The usual :meany: General town read while keeping the roll of foil within reach if needed.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra, my concern with you remains: You are fixated on Rip. There are five mafia to lynch. Rip does nothing until Night 2. Are the five killers not a concern to you? If they are, why are you not about sorting who they may be?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[mention]Ultra[/mention]
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 pm
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm Hot take

Felicity player should use her one shot on Rip Hunter to prevent Cult Shenanigans
at first glance cult looks pretty harmless early game, in my personal opinion it should be spent on someone like deathstroke, it brings down the average kpn from 2.5 (i assume) down to 1.5

i dont see any posts of ultra that would let me make a read as they are all pregame fluff which happens or strategic thinking which comes from both alignments
Wonder if there's any intention peeking through here.

Yeah Deathstroke does kill every night, and as SK he's problematic.

But in the immediate sense he's a much bigger problem for the scum teams
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 am Ultra, my concern with you remains: You are fixated on Rip. There are five mafia to lynch. Rip does nothing until Night 2. Are the five killers not a concern to you? If they are, why are you not about sorting who they may be?
I can't emphasize enough how much I'm triggered by cults. I already admitted it isn't an entirely balance concern for me so much as that I feel like, between the 8 starting scum and potential for recruitment, we can easily get very close to a minority town situation while the game continues, and at that point, it's somewhat unenjoyable to play.

I only appear fixated because we have one super peek from felicia. So ofc I'm going to bring up the biggest priority.

The Sk is another potential target but they can absorb a lynch which is pretty annoying
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 am @Ultra
Just soft ones atm.

I think Epi comes off somewhat better than you do
Matahari
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Matahari »

I suspect Matahari.
:p lee me lone. I’m tryna watch Shetland.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 am
Just soft ones atm.

Explain
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 am
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 am Ultra, my concern with you remains: You are fixated on Rip. There are five mafia to lynch. Rip does nothing until Night 2. Are the five killers not a concern to you? If they are, why are you not about sorting who they may be?
I can't emphasize enough how much I'm triggered by cults. I already admitted it isn't an entirely balance concern for me so much as that I feel like, between the 8 starting scum and potential for recruitment, we can easily get very close to a minority town situation while the game continues, and at that point, it's somewhat unenjoyable to play.

I only appear fixated because we have one super peek from felicia. So ofc I'm going to bring up the biggest priority.

The Sk is another potential target but they can absorb a lynch which is pretty annoying
All right. I buy that.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 am
Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 am
Just soft ones atm.

Explain
nah
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I'm going to bed.

I just remembered there is another workday in this godforsaken week.

Return to “Previous Jobs”