[ENDGAME] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 146

Re: [Day 3] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by Epignosis »

Silence
Silence sure isn’t a virtue in Shawshank.

MrThomas never said shit to nobody and a gang greased him.

MrThomas has been lynched. He was Floyd.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Spiritual Things
I pulled a lot of shit growing up in Maryland, but in Maine’s the only time I ever got caught.

What was to be a joyous Christmas gathering at my Aunt Gloria’s turned into the greatest regret I’ll ever know.

Three life sentences sounds like a ridiculous notion, but it’s not. In here, they’re taking body, soul, and spirit. When I die, I wouldn’t be surprised to find myself in my cell or in the exercise yard. It’d be the only afterlife that’d make sense to me.

Sometimes there’s a preacher man who visits Shawshank. He’s a spindly little man with round glasses and a perpetual smile, like God never shits on him once in a while. Sorry- maybe that’s too crude an illustration. I’m sorry. Being in Shawshank doesn’t really give you a spiritual disposition, though many try. Shit, the only time you pray- I mean really pray- you’re hoping to God someone isn’t about to rape or kill you. And what if it happens anyway?

It isn’t like the Warden makes me respect religion, but sometimes, when it’s quiet, I think I hear that still small voice.

I’m always torn about spiritual things. Can you do me a favor? Tell me your favorite Bible verse and tell me why. I’d love to know.

It is now Night 3. You have 24 hours to lynch someone.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 64

I am sorry for missing the poll :(

Post by A Person »

I didn't realize it ended today. :(
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: [Night 3] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by boo »

Well, I am not entirely surprised that he was civ, but I am kind of surprised he had civ BTSC. It does make me think the first-time player BTSC rule applies in this game, so I kind of doubt john now. But maybe Epi accounted for that and Thomas and john had civ BTSC. Bleh, not an easy result anyways.

Are we sending in votes via PM Epi, or is the poll just going up later?
Banners
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Post your favorite Bible verse. State why. Argue.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:Post your favorite Bible verse. State why. Argue.
I saw that bit. But it says lynch someone, I thought we were having a night lynch.

Anyways, I'll snap up Psalm 23 then.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

I like it better with thou's but, it's c+p and I don't feel like changing it.

Why? None of your business.

Argument for it: AAA on Lost was a badass.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 112

Post by Bullzeye »

I would have to google Bible verses. I've never really been interested enough to read any holy texts so I don't know any full quotes off the top of my head.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 118
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Being Jewish-ish, you probably thought I would post something the Torah.

Not so fast!

Ephesians 6:11-13
King James Version (KJV)

11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

I like the analogy of going to battle. I don't see this verse as being about spiritual combat but about knowledge, despite being a natural shielder. The pen is mightier than the sword, and knowledge is power. We feel weary of this world and the mortal coil as we are assaulted from all sides by things that are trivial and fleeting. Digging into things that are wholesome and nurturing to one's spirits (I adopt this at the high arts) nourishes us so we can return to the frontlines. The frontlines aren't sometime in a dystopic future or behind in a bloody, wartorn past, but right now. Right this very second when reality TV, Michael Bay, and over-reliance on smart phones are bleeding your creative and inspiration out of you. Rise up! Take back your power and take back your lives!

Basically God wants you to get off the internet and watch a Fellini film.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 157

Post by thellama73 »

You people are posting more than one verse. Cheating, in my book!

It's a difficult one, but I choose Wisdom 3:11 (from the Catholic AKA "Real Christian" Bible)

"For whoever despises wisdom and instruction is miserable. Their hope is vain, their labors are unprofitable, and their works are useless."

Seeking wisdom and truth have been among the primary motivators of my life, and I like when the Bible backs me up on that. For me the purpose of life is to discover how to live well.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

The Aprochrypha will count.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 57

Post by Elohcin »

boo wrote:Well, I am not entirely surprised that he was civ, but I am kind of surprised he had civ BTSC. It does make me think the first-time player BTSC rule applies in this game, so I kind of doubt john now. But maybe Epi accounted for that and Thomas and john had civ BTSC. Bleh, not an easy result anyways.

I am doubting JJ too now. I was thinking about how llama kept using his almost death and Nev's kill to explain his civviness.
thellama73 wrote:For those of you interested in actual evidence, consider this:
On Night 1, the baddies tried to kill me.
On Night 2, the baddies killed Nevinera, who vocally defended me in the thread on more than one occasion and would certainly not have voted to lynch me.
It would appear that both baddie teams want me out of the picture. Why? Could it be because I am literally the only person pushing Mongoose as a suspect, and if I go she will be able to recede into the safety of the shadows?
Then I was thinking about the back and forth convo between JJ and llama in the beginning of the game. What if this thread talk was all to distance themselves b/c they really have btsc.
thellama73 wrote:
Aso, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt has been voting for me without explanation from the beginning of the game. Why has no one called him on this?
More distancing.

We know that Shawshank baddies did try to kill Llama night one. What if Llama and JJ are Sisters. Llama could use his almost getting killed as a "proof" of civvieness. Then llama/JJ could kill Nev on Night 2 (someone who was defending llama), say "the baddies did it" (not a lie) which becomes llama's second "proof" of his civviness.

Then, when I changed my vote to JJ a couple hours before the lynch ends, llama gets defensive. Weird. :ponder:

What do y'all think, Llambaddie?

Numbers 32:23 "But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out. Haha!

No, for real, I have a lot of favorite verses. But Isaiah 9:6 is pretty befitting for this time of year. It shows the prophesy of Jesus' birth many many many years before it was to happen :) For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:You people are posting more than one verse. Cheating, in my book!
Ahem. What do you mean by "You People." ???
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Elohcin, if JJ was my teammate, why would he keep voting for me when it looked like I had a good chance of being lynched? You are falling prey to confirmation bias, bending the evidence to fit your existing theory instead of drawing the logical conclusions from the evidence.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

thellama73 wrote:Elohcin, if JJ was my teammate, why would he keep voting for me when it looked like I had a good chance of being lynched? You are falling prey to confirmation bias, bending the evidence to fit your existing theory instead of drawing the logical conclusions from the evidence.
I don't agree. Let's see what others think of my epiphany. :D
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Elohcin wrote:
thellama73 wrote:Elohcin, if JJ was my teammate, why would he keep voting for me when it looked like I had a good chance of being lynched? You are falling prey to confirmation bias, bending the evidence to fit your existing theory instead of drawing the logical conclusions from the evidence.
I don't agree. Let's see what others think of my epiphany. :D
You know who I've really been distancing myself from? Boo. Maybe he is on my team. Why not lynch him?

birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 38

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

RIP Thomas! That's incredibly odd that he had a BTSC teammate and yet wasn't posting. Not sure what to make of that.

As for a favorite Bible verse, a lot of my favorites are from the book of Revelation. Here's one in particular: (Rev 13:1)

"The dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, and on each head a blasphemous name."

Most of my favorite stories and novels are chock-full of metaphors and symbolism. And Revelation definitely relies on symbolism far more than any of the other books in the Bible IMO.

Plus anything involving a dragon probably means something badass is going to happen. :D
johns2jj
Posts in topic: 50

Post by johns2jj »

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." (Psalm 137:9)

Just because I like quoting things out of context
johns2jj
Posts in topic: 50

Post by johns2jj »

Elohcin wrote:We're getting close to the end of the day and it looks like Thomas is not going to show up and that he will most definitely being lynched. So...I am going to change my vote to JJ. He hasn't been as active lately and I am curious why. Maybe his baddie teammates are telling him to lay low. :eye:
I have accepted a job in another country and am leaving after christmas so I have been spending some time with my wife and we went on a trip to Gatlinburg TN for a few days so I have not been able to be as active.

I also have not seen any messages that required my response unlike in the begining.
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Russtifinko »

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 if we get to pick a passage, just 5 if we only get one verse. Not the most hipster verse ever, since people like it at weddings so much. Reminds me to treat people right even if I'm feeling annoyed and let small stuff roll off my back
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Russtifinko »

Oh, and 6 and 7 are very mafia-applicable, I think
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 159

Post by Mister Rearranger »

6: 66 redrum redrum redrum redrum redrum redrum redrum
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 112

Post by Bullzeye »

boo wrote:Well, I am not entirely surprised that he was civ, but I am kind of surprised he had civ BTSC. It does make me think the first-time player BTSC rule applies in this game, so I kind of doubt john now. But maybe Epi accounted for that and Thomas and john had civ BTSC. Bleh, not an easy result anyways.

I was wondering about this 'first time btsc' thing because I've never heard it described as a rule before. Do some hosts actually do that? I thought roles were all usually random. Seems like a really obvious way to find and get rid of baddies, as well as a really easy way to put people off mafia after their first game if every host made new players bad all the time. They'd just end up lynched out of the gate.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Bullzeye wrote:

I was wondering about this 'first time btsc' thing because I've never heard it described as a rule before. Do some hosts actually do that? I thought roles were all usually random. Seems like a really obvious way to find and get rid of baddies, as well as a really easy way to put people off mafia after their first game if every host made new players bad all the time. They'd just end up lynched out of the gate.
I've never heard of this either. When I host, I always randomize the roles. To do otherwise seems unfair, like you're giving clues to the players.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 206

Post by S~V~S »

thellama73 wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:

I've never heard of this either. When I host, I always randomize the roles. To do otherwise seems unfair, like you're giving clues to the players.
It is not a "rule" per say, but many hosts do try to give new players a BTSC role so they are not floundering alone in the thread. I know that i try to do so. i do it mainly because playing tends to be more fun when you have BTSC, and I try to make the experience as fun as possible for new players so they are more likely to keep playing. Plus it helps noobs better understand what is going on.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

ebwop, "Per se" not "per say" yikes
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Also~ coming from a family with an average religious background, some agnostics, Moms & kids going to church Sundays, Dads staying home watching football, some mild atheists. Then my Dad remarried a very zealous person, and this has been her effect on my family in many ways. So I won't say this are my "favorite" verses, but they are certainly the ones to which I can most relate.

Luke 12: 49 - 53
49 "I came to cast fire upon the earth; and would that it were already kindled!
50 I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how I am constrained until it is accomplished!
51 Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division;
52 for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three;
53 they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Vompatti »

Ecclesiastes 9:10: Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. :mafia:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

WTF at that result. Well RIP Thomas. I won't be able p.properly post or catch up until Sunday evening sorry. As to bible verse I have no idea
A Person
Loan Shark

hi forum home page lurkers :3

Post by A Person »

i do not know the bible
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

No one has said anything about my theory. :mad:

So tonight is my daughters dance recital. Then first thing in the morning, we leave for FL. I will try to stay committed to the thread as much as possible but I will also want to spend time with family of course. Rob (Mr. Computer Hog) and I will be sharing the my laptop. So, we'll see how much time I get on it :p I'm in two games and he is in one and hosting this one
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Re: hi forum home page lurkers :3

Post by Vompatti »

A Person wrote:i do not know the bible
The Bible (from Koine Greek τὰ βιβλία, tà biblía, "the books") is a canonical collection of texts considered sacred in Judaism as well as in Christianity.
Elohcin wrote:No one has said anything about my theory. :mad:

So tonight is my daughters dance recital. Then first thing in the morning, we leave for FL. I will try to stay committed to the thread as much as possible but I will also want to spend time with family of course. Rob (Mr. Computer Hog) and I will be sharing the my laptop. So, we'll see how much time I get on it :p I'm in two games and he is in one and hosting this one
I think it's a very good theory! :hug:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vompatti wrote:Ecclesiastes 9:10: Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. :mafia:
@ Vomps - I thought it was funny you picked this verse about due diligence, you feckless layabout :hugs:

@ Eloh -What part of FL are you heading toward? Would love to see a photo from her recital! Such fun.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Hmm, a bit questionable that I used the Bible to encourage Criterion Collection watching. Whoops!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:Hmm, a bit questionable that I used the Bible to encourage Criterion Collection watching. Whoops!
If God had wanted us to watch Criterion Collection He would have made them region 2. :srsnod:

Image Image Image
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Mongoose wrote:
@ Eloh -What part of FL are you heading toward? Would love to see a photo from her recital! Such fun.
Orlando area...it is where I grew up. You are in Florida, right?
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Elohcin wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Orlando area...it is where I grew up. You are in Florida, right?
Neat! I am down here in St Petersburg.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 153

Post by FZ. »

What's wrong with you people? You lynched a civ again? :sigh:

I get wanting to punish people who don't post. But there were people who posted very little, and are veterans, like LIZZIE, for crying out loud, why not lynch them. Just because they post one post every day? How is that better?

And is there a poll to choose from or do we just need to quote a passage?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 153

Post by FZ. »

Well, since no one answered me and I don't see a poll, I'll just quote something that seems fitting. It's from Genesis chapter 1: 2-3. "...and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters. And God said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light.

But to quote something that is in the movie (or a translation of something in the movie): "The prayer of the poor goes from his lips to the ears of God,
and his judgment comes speedily."
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

FZ. wrote:What's wrong with you people? You lynched a civ again? :sigh:
Well, I tried to tell them about Mongoose.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I still think you spent more time trying to tell us about Mr T, tbh.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:I still think you spent more time trying to tell us about Mr T, tbh.
Back that up with quotes then. It isn't true.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

No.

This is my impression~ I mainly recall you making some playful posts about badgoose, but mainly discussing Thomas. I tried searching your posts but it says "Thomas' is too common a term and gave me no results.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I love that we can just make unsubstantiated and false accusations now. SVS said she was baddie earlier. Lynch her.

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

FZ. wrote:What's wrong with you people? You lynched a civ again? :sigh:

I get wanting to punish people who don't post. But there were people who posted very little, and are veterans, like LIZZIE, for crying out loud, why not lynch them. Just because they post one post every day? How is that better?

And is there a poll to choose from or do we just need to quote a passage?
Lizzy is several hundred miles away from her laptop right now.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

CAAAAAAAAAARL, that kills people
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Due to circumstances, I may need to extend the Night period. We're also traveling tomorrow morning.
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 108

Re: [Night 2] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by Dom »

Phew, caught up!
boo wrote:
Dom wrote:I went with BWT. :)
Are you fly-bying, going with Eloh/SVS stuff, going with MP stuff (which I think is my reason, under the guise of Eloh/SVS stuff, but he wasn't actually ready to confirm), going with my stuff, or some other reason that you just didn't care to share?
Was BWT not the target of a NK?
That makes me think he is less likely to be civvie.
boo wrote:
I very clearly stated why I voted for you during the night, and that as long as you were on the poll I would be voting for you.

You haven't been obviously civ. You have thrown out my name, MR, mongoose, and nev.

Conversely you've said you think you can trust MP, BWT, and john,

That's from skimming only the first one and a half of the 3 pages of posts you have this game. You never provided any real reason for why you suspect or trust any of those people.

The closest you've come to giving a practical reason for why you'd vote someone is Mr Thomas not participating, something I think everyone in the game can agree on, so literally the safest push for a lynch you could make.

You'll have to excuse me if I find it extremely funny if you can say you're upset that 3 people voted for you when there's no case for you to defend yourself against (there is), after you've specifically stated 7 names of people you suspect or trust, and have offered no reason that could be argued in any of those 7 cases.
I found this post very well articulated.. :) I'm not entirely convinced of Llama, but Ithink Boo has some great points.
boo wrote: As far as I'm concerned, I play exactly the same game regardless of alignment. In the second game I ever played, I was a baddie, and a teammate I had got killed I think D2, but quite early anyways, because he played a drastically different game when he was a civ vs when he was bad, or that was the common consensus. Playing these different games gets people killed. Trying new strategies gets people killed, and they ultimately go back to what they did quite quickly, or they go game after game of getting killed early (Dom was like llama when I started playing with him, and that's what people expected. When he became a quiet player, it got him killed a fair bit, and suspected a good deal more).
I wouldn't call myself quiet (these two games excluded... I'm busy :D), I would just say I'm not needlessly talkative. :p
I started playing Mafia when I was like 15 or so. I'm almost 20. Obviously my personality has changed since. ;)

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)
Reminds me of how sexist religion tends to be. And makes me sick. :D
MovingPictures07 wrote:WTF at that result. Well RIP Thomas. I won't be able p.properly post or catch up until Sunday evening sorry. As to bible verse I have no idea
Are you really surprised?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elohcin
Hitman

Re: [Night 2] The Shawshank Redemption Mafia

Post by Elohcin »

Dom wrote:
"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)
Reminds me of how sexist religion tends to be. And makes me sick. :D
Call me old fashion, but I don't mind not being head of the household. I am happy to submit (most of the time :p ) I enjoy my wifely/motherly role. It is what I've always aspired to do.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I have to extend the Night period. I'm very sorry. It's been hectic and we'll be traveling to Florida soon. Night 3 is still open, and I am still accepting PMs / modifications to PMs / favorite Bible verses. My hope is to get Day 4 rolling early tomorrow afternoon.

Return to “Previous Side Missions”