The Films of Stanley Kubrick 2: Barry Lyndon

Moderator: Community Team

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 6

The Films of Stanley Kubrick 2: Barry Lyndon

Post by thellama73 »

The second in my ambitious series of Kubrick themed mafias, based on my second favorite Kubrick film. This will be a straightforward game with no secrets and everything out in the open, only with an added Hierarchy mechanic. This being a story of people swept along by the whim of circumstance, the individual players are fairly limited in their night powers, but I do not think that will lessen the fun substantially.

Roles:
Redmond Barry - An opportunistic Irish lad determined to advance his station in the world. He attempts to kill every night, but the kill only succeeds if it targets someone of the next higher class (Barry starts as a peasant, so first must kill a soldier, and then a noble.) When such a kill succeeds, Barry advances to the class of the person killed. In order to win, Barry must be alive and at the highest social station at the end of the game.

Lords and Ladies
Lady Lyndon - Wealthy Noblewoman on whom Barry has his eye. Has BTSC with Reverend Runt

Sir Charles Lyndon - Lady Lyndon's infirm husband. He is too weak to do much, but Barry cannot advance to the rank of Nobility while he lives

Lord Bullingdon - Barry's son-in-law who hates and resents the Irish commoner who would usurp his family's good name and squander their fortune. Each night, he searches for Barry. If he finds him, they have a duel which only one can survive.

The Chevalier de Balibari - A professional gambler. Each night he selects another player and wagers a number of lynch votes of his choosing. A game of chance commences and the loser takes that many lynch votes on the following day. The Chevalier cheats, so the odds are slightly in his favor.

The Lords and Ladies win when the Captains are dead.

The Captains
Captain Potzdorf - Officer in the Prussian army. He kills every night and if he is killed his power moves to someone else.

Captain John Quin - Barry's rival for the affections of Nora. Has BTSC with Nora.

Captain Grogan - An old friend of Barry's and also an officer in the British army. Cannot be killed by Barry

Captain Feeney - A famous highwayman. Each night he can rob one player of their vote and use it for his own purposes.

The Captains have BTSC with each other and win when they outnumber the remaining players.

Peasants, Servants and Children
Reverend Samuel Runt - Longtime tutor to the Lyndon children. Loyal to Lady Lyndon and has BTSC with her.

Belle, Barry's Mother - A doting mother willing to do anything for her boy. Has BTSC with Barry.

Nora Brady - Barry's first love, but rejects him in favor of the wealthy Captain Quin. Has BTSC with Captain Quin.

Bryan Lyndon - Barry's beloved son. If he dies, Barry turns to drink and drops a rank in the hierarchy.

Lischen - A German peasant maid. She can provide nourishment to weary travelers, which they can use to remove lynch votes from themselves.

The Peasants, Servants and Children win when all the Captains are dead.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 4

Re: The Films of Stanley Kubrick 2: Barry Lyndon

Post by S~V~S »

Where is The Films Of Stanley Kubrick I: A Clockwork Orange?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by insertnamehere »

I'm holding out for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

A Clockwork Orange will be number 3. 2001 will probably be number 4, but that one will be tricky due to so few characters.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Dr. Strangelove is my fav. Kubrick film. :)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

bea wrote:Dr. Strangelove is my fav. Kubrick film. :)
Me too. The historic Tampa Theatre is showing it in a few weeks, and I need to decide if seeing it on the big screen in one of the best cinemas ever is worth $9.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Strangelove IS really awesome, it was my husbands favorite, too. But Clockwork Orange is SOOO dystopian, it has a brainwashed, complacent populace and a controlling government along with a breakdown of society, morals and rampant crime.

Whats not to love??
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I guess I'm the only one who likes Barry Lyndon. :sigh:

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:I guess I'm the only one who likes Barry Lyndon. :sigh:
I really really really super tried.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:I guess I'm the only one who likes Barry Lyndon. :sigh:
I really really really super tried.
It's okay. I think it's his most beautiful and best film (although from a pure enjoyment standpoint I prefer the Shining) but I seem to be in the minority on that. Strangelove is great, but it has aged less well than his others, I have always felt.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Barry Lyndon IS beautiful, and it also IS more timeless as it is historical, and much of Kubricks work can be seen as dated since it is very much in a 60's setting.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

When will this be ready to roll, llama?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Kate
LAMIST Supatown
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Kate »

S~V~S wrote:Strangelove IS really awesome, it was my husbands favorite, too. But Clockwork Orange is SOOO dystopian, it has a brainwashed, complacent populace and a controlling government along with a breakdown of society, morals and rampant crime.

Whats not to love??
Oh. My. God!

I agree!!!
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

*Faints*
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

thellama73 wrote:A Clockwork Orange will be number 3. 2001 will probably be number 4, but that one will be tricky due to so few characters.
I had thought of a 2001 mafia as well. Hal would be a brilliant part. Other characters could be The Discovery, the monolith (which could gain btsc with the sun and the moon if they find each other). Or if the sun activates Monolith 2 something could happen. You could have the three monoliths, oir one rolke that evolves eventually becoming the stargate. Even though not in the film Dr Chandra could be in it. There are possibiities.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:When will this be ready to roll, llama?
It is pretty much ready to go, but it doesn't seem like there is much interest in the theme, so it may be a while before it works its way into the hosting thread. I am actually more excited about the Frisky Dingo full game or the Monkey Island Full Game that I am currently working on.

Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

thellama73 wrote:
It is pretty much ready to go, but it doesn't seem like there is much interest in the theme, so it may be a while before it works its way into the hosting thread. I am actually more excited about the Frisky Dingo full game or the Monkey Island Full Game that I am currently working on.
Monkey Island !!! :pirate:
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Hedgeowl wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Monkey Island !!! :pirate:
It's almost done. I will probably post it tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”