Mafia Championship Scrimmage [END]

a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 246

Re: Mafia Championship Scrimmage

Post by a2thezebra »

This isn't spam by the way because I'm making a crucial point with these posts.

D.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

E.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

F.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

G.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Okay, now I have a total of 11 posts. I am no longer in the bottom four.

...And yet I am just as likely to be bad as I was before I started posting.

Frog can deny it all he wants, but the methods he's using to base his vote are absolutely advocating a policy lynch.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

If you're fine with a policy lynch, okay, whatever, but advocating a policy lynch while denying that it's a policy lynch is highly suspicious to me. Especially when that policy lynch is based on going after the lurkers. I have seen baddies use lurker policy lynches time and time again to pick off the civilian lower posters while cruising their way to endgame by being very opinionated and very vocal, and almost every time I've seen that they have always advocated lynching lurkers while shying away from the term "policy lynch" as much as possible.

I appreciate the effort and analysis Frog, but my personal opinion on that tactic - if it is genuine - is fuck that noise.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Not to mention that I've gone after lower posters as a baddie while being extremely loud and obnoxious myself. I've totally used the myth that lower posters are more likely to be baddies than higher posters to my advantage, almost every single time I've been bad in this game. Even after people got used to that being my meta both here and on RYM, it would still work.

"Zebra can't be a baddie even though she did this suspicious thing and that suspicious thing...she's posting so much! I say we lynch one of the lurkers!"

-A few hours later-

"Ah shit, RIP So-and-so. I was so convinced, too. Well, what other lurker could we lynch tomorrow?"

The lesson is never learned.
Zexy
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Zexy »

Back. Time to read through all that...
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 78

Post by DrWilgy »

Omoshiroi

Frog you amuse me. I'm in agreement with this plan.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Zexy

Post by Zexy »

Marco wrote:I feel like Silverwolf's posts have a very "drifter" quality to them. Just moving along, picking random posts and responding to them. There seems to be no desire to interact beyond the occasional observation or to engage anyone. The participation seems superficial. What do others think?

VOTE SILVERWOLF
While I don’t disagree, I think this is the kind of wagon scum could easily lead on a townie and look just fine.

Do your post just tend to be one-liners? It feels like there is not much thought and a scum motivation behind them…
Golden wrote:"Immediately defend a buddy at such an early stage"

This is exactly when subtle defence of baddies does happen - and, let me make it very clear, Zexy did NOT defend sig. She criticised sloonei. These things are different. I wouldn't expect to see it on day three. In the very early going? All the time.

Zexy wouldn't be the first baddie I've caught that way, not by a long shot.
I disagree and wouldn't do it because that is exactly what everyone will focus on after one of the baddies died and they read them for spew. There’s no reason at all to bring unnecessary attention to a scumbuddy pair that early in the game. You think scum!me would be honestly afraid that sig could get lynched at that early point?
Golden wrote:In Turf Wars, she was the voice that kept saying we should be focussing on some other people to the people who were the main topic of conversation. She was ultimately right, and also town. It doesn't bother me if she focusses on places that are different to where others are for this reason.
Noted! Also noted how ika is very defensive of her etc. which are all town points for them.
Frog wrote:I know Zexy's meta well enough. I want to see how she acts under implicit pressure. (D1 hammer is such a bummer)

Zexy knows my town meta and hasn't cleared me is setting off a mild siren.

Expect a thorough summary from me tomorrow before EOD.
We haven't played that much together. We've also never seen each other's scum meta.

This is around the point I’m starting getting paranoid over Golden; our top poster has pretty much focused only on me/Silverwolf. Insists too much on Silverwolf when it’s probably a meta thing, I’m afraid…

To reply to MP’s question of my meta; I use it a lot in my reads, problem is, here and in the Championship, I won’t be able to use it as much as I’d like. From what little meta I can use I think Frog’s likely town and Psittaciform may not be, I want to see more.
I believe mafia tends to be more defensive because townies don’t know alignments and should be more uncertain, so they wouldn’t just defend when not sure themselves. Mafia can also defend fellow mafia to save them or defend fellow town to buddy them.
Other than a reaction, I wanted an actual explanation as well when I asked Sloonei.

A bit more I need to post in a bit.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 772
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

So I value sleep more than I anticipated.

Resuming my catch up.
Zexy

Post by Zexy »

Golden 53 – Just paranoid about him. He’s definitely trying, bringing up good points and all. But I have no clue how good and active he is when mafia.
Marco 43 – Too many one-liners, kinda “fake” activity if you ask me. Not feeling too good about him yet.
Sloonei 41 – Town, I guess, lots of analysis, MP mentioned things about his meta…
Frog 34 – Town lean
Dyslexicon 27 – Town lean
Silverwolf 25 – Slight town lean (so goes for ika)
sig 20 – Not that sure, seems to be skating around a bit
Zexy 20 – SCUMMY SCUM LYNCH HIM NOW
MovingPictures07 13 – Provided slank cover and useful meta… unsure although leaning town.
ika 11 – check Silverwolf
Long Con 11 – Strange meta, could be scum
Inawordyes 10 – Provided some strange cover, could be scum
DrWilgy 4 – Could be scum
Metalmarsh89 4 – Could be scum
a2thezebra 3 – Could be scum
Psittaciform 2 – Could be scum
Zexy

Post by Zexy »

Time to put someone to 2 votes, I don't like Golden/Sloonei wagons

VOTE PSITTACIFORM
hey man gimme reactions pls
Dyslexicon
<3
Posts in topic: 244

Post by Dyslexicon »

a2thezebra wrote:That's his meta, it's null. Same with anything I do that seems peculiar or suspicious. :mafia:
Who's "he" here? LC?
Golden wrote:"Immediately defend a buddy at such an early stage"

This is exactly when subtle defence of baddies does happen - and, let me make it very clear, Zexy did NOT defend sig. She criticised sloonei. These things are different. I wouldn't expect to see it on day three. In the very early going? All the time.

Zexy wouldn't be the first baddie I've caught that way, not by a long shot.
Fair enough. I'm not convinced by your argument, but I haven't gone back and looked at the particular interaction *writing that in my imaginary notebook, decorated with unicorns and rainbows*
Frog wrote:However- going to have to agree with you. Ore flip associations are usually lol. But let the ENTP in me lay out all of the tinfoils anyway!!!
You're ENTP? You should join PersonalityCafe lol \o/
sig wrote:Also

Vote Unvote

I mislike Wilgy's vote, but can't tell if this is his normal lovable town shenanigans or mafia pretending to be lovable town while avoiding any vote.
ika wrote:Golden stop voting silver, it's only going to irritate her, you saw turf.
Do you and Silver know each other? Cause you're only focus so far is defending her.
Can you talk more about what reads you have on other people?
Silverwolf wrote:Golden, I suggest you read my fucking posts before you ask questions. One thing that will irritate me to now end is not getting time to read, post, and develop my reads. You immediately attacking me is scum motivation as it distracts me from doing that. Anyone who knows me knows that. I welcome interaction, I welcome questioning, but being attacked, voted, misrepped, for simply asking a question will set me off and piss me off to no end.
I don't know about Golden's alignment, but he has done nothing but normal mafia game things. You should be able to deal with being questioned and even misunderstood IMO. Happens every game. Just my two cents.
Sloonei wrote: :ponder: I look too town to you?
No? You kind of look like scum!me. It's a good look. Read MP's meta of you and taking that into account and well, which makes me more inclined to distrust my distrust, if I am to take the meta at face value (which I'm inclined to do).
a2thezebra wrote:Frog can deny it all he wants, but the methods he's using to base his vote are absolutely advocating a policy lynch.
Thats lol. But I agree with (what I presume to be) the idea, that post count in itself isn't really what counts, but the content. Players can have few posts and good content, or many posts and low content. Kind of like how very many of Frog's posts are talking about strategy or telling people how he expects town to play. (Not saying that is a scum thing for him, just an example.)

However, a lot of the low posters here have provided nothing. Which makes me have a sad. =(

Also I'm not sure it's a myth that lower posters are more likely to be scum, I think there's a slight lean towards this in most communities. However, some people will post a lot or little regardless of their alignment.

The problem with lynching people with no content is that there is little to no information to gain from it. If we lynch X who hasn't posted shit and they flip town, what then? I really discourage lurking though, and if there is a vig I always advocate them to consider hitting lurkers.

---

Speaking fo lurkers, I dislike how PSI has not contributed anything for so long, especially since he was called lean town of a couple of people. Why taking a rest?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

I'm thoroughly over Ika defending Silver at any given chance. Can someone just clarify what their relationship normally is in games? It's bizarre as hell.

Ika should contribute something else.

Between the whole Silver/Golden discussion my thoughts are roughly this: First of all I didn't really see anything wrong with the MP vote. Second, none of Golden's questions were unreasonable or misrepping or whatever else Silver called it, it was just normal questioning. Reacting in this way seems to be normal for Silver though as I read it. All in all Silver reads townish to me, even if I don't agree with how she takes Golden's questioning. She seems to be putting herself in a position of being above questioning. Which she is not. Still reads more town to me. Golden however is if he is scum given a golden opportunity (see what I did there? :3) to defend himself in a way that makes logical sense all the way and he could objectively defend his position.
However my question is: Golden, do you still suspect Silver?
I also note that Golden is slightly apologetic in this interaction for "ticking Silver off" (which I don't think he needs to be cause he did nothing wrong). He may just be a polite young gentleman, but it reads a bit guilty mindset.
Like, I find it really hard to trust Golden, and I don't know whether I'm paranoid or not.

I don't know if this thought process will make sense to anyone. :omg:
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

How long until day end?

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Frog wrote:
Marco wrote:@Frog, you came in encouraging a strategy involving hypo-claiming. How did you think about going about it accurately if you don't know what setup we're playing?
Marco, you're a scum who isn't seeking an answer. Zexy has already explained the strategies that are commonly used on Mafia Universe (shared by several communities).

You have TMIed my friend, Marco, too many times already. I'll bring up your other TMI posts, but let me start here. "How did you think about going about it accurately if you don't know what setup we're playing?"

First, I'll answer your question for the sake of town:
Mafia is informed which vertical or horizontal setup we're on because of their team powerroles. Whereas even if you are a Town PR, you do not know the setup. My plan is to claim every town power role every day in one post, because im assuming there are no last wills, and for posterity sake we must say what we did. I already explained it quite logically:
If I'm Tracker I did this N1 N2
If I'm Doctor I did this N1 N2
etc. etc.
That way if any town PR flips, their information can be easily found, AND town villagers provide the most amount of cover for actual town PRs.

It's a standard method because it's objectively the most successful way to play this setup.

As for your slip - You already know I don't know the setup, as you implicitly slipped:
"How did you think about going about it accurately if you don't know what setup we're playing?"
What is a TMI post?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

MovingPictures07 wrote:What is a TMI post?
Too much information. Like "But mafia could just block them with their roleblocker!"
The example Frog gave doesn't necessarily read TMI to me. I think I tend to talk to people like they are town in most instances naturally. Cause I'm just that much of a trusting, warm and kind individual.

:cloud9:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Oh, I see sig asked this too. Sorry to double ask people. I guess I'll do a big-giant-post catch up again and wait until I'm finished reading.

Thanks for the answer though, Dizzy!
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Zexy, What do you think about the notion that Frog expected you to clear him based on meta?

Also would really like a link to a town game of yours, Frog.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

DrWilgy wrote:Omoshiroi

Frog you amuse me. I'm in agreement with this plan.
If you're agreeing with this you're one of the people who is up for a lynch. Good idea?

Also, if you agree, then why is your vote not on anyone? Are you caught up with the thread?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Inaword, Why is your vote on a complete lurker? You have like no game content so far, just being lol haha flowers yay.

VOTE INAWORDYES
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Sig seems less town to me than before. Null read. Gives relatievly little.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

I guess Zebra, Wilgy, Golden, Ika, Inaword, LC and sig are in my suspicion pile atm.

MP could be but he is totally cute so he is excused *buddies*
Metal and Soneji null for obvious reasons.

I have reads. I have the best reads. (someone please take this joke)

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey Dizzy, how long are you going to be around? Same question goes for anyone else reading this thread currently.

I want to be able to discuss reads live with someone once I'm finished catching up.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Dizzy, how long are you going to be around? Same question goes for anyone else reading this thread currently.

I want to be able to discuss reads live with someone once I'm finished catching up.
I'm around (multitasking, but around). Don't know for how long, cause I can't stand having to plan my life. Maybe I'll fancy going out dancing in the park soon. But I guess I can more or less guarantee I'll be around for at least a couple of hours.

What is your reason for wanting to discuss reads live?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dyslexicon wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Dizzy, how long are you going to be around? Same question goes for anyone else reading this thread currently.

I'm around (multitasking, but around). Don't know for how long, cause I can't stand having to plan my life. Maybe I'll fancy going out dancing in the park soon. But I guess I can more or less guarantee I'll be around for at least a couple of hours.

What is your reason for wanting to discuss reads live?
Okay, cool, thanks. :D

In order to help me solve the game and feel comfortable that I can start substantively reading players (particularly in the early stages of the game), I've found that I like to engage other players in live conversation, particularly after I've recently caught up on a bunch of content, and unfortunately I haven't been able to do that yet.

Likely I'll be working on a rainbow list once I'm caught up as well. Helps me sort my thoughts on everyone and keeps me transparent. And I always like feedback on it, though usually only Golden gives it to me. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Silverwolf wrote:Holy shit, I had no idea this game started!!

I have to catch up but I do want to let everyone know ika is out of town, and may not be able to post for a bit.
Is this because he's visiting you? :D
Marco
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 210

Post by Marco »

Sloonei wrote:Hi Marco, are you town?
Yes, I am town.
Frog wrote:Quick Plan:

These players
Golden 53
Marco 43
Sloonei 41
Frog 34
Dyslexicon 27
Silverwolf 25
sig 20
Zexy 20
Will Split up into groups of 2 and vote these players, putting each of them at 2 votes:
DrWilgy 4
Metalmarsh89 4
a2thezebra 3
Psittaciform 2
These guys will have to make a cases for each of the slankers, and finish up the votes:
MovingPictures07 13
ika 11
Long Con 11
Inawordyes 10
If this splits evenly, all 4 slankers should be put at 3 votes each.

For reference, with a hammer, the vote required to hammer is currently 9 votes.
Since there are 4 wolves, it would require 5 town to pile onto the incorrect pick, and all 4 wolves to snipe the incorrect pick, thereby explicitly revealing their team. What I'm saying is, if we choose these 4 players as wagons now, we are certainly safe within the realms of variation putting each of the 4 lurkers to 3+/- 2 votes (1-5 votes on each).

I think this is an optimal strategy since, as I've pointed, I believe wolves are least likely to be engaged in the game because it is not in their wincon, and wolves are lazy AF in games unfortunately. I believe at least one wolf must exist in that group of 4, although I believe more exist in that group of 4 personally. If we force wolves to vote amongst wolves and nonwolves, we put them in a situation that makes them mechanically vulnerable! This is optimal IMO.

I hope you all join me in my plan to make wagons on these 4 players and collect everyone's reads on these 4 players.
I like that you want to focus on the lurkers but I don't think performing vote gymnastics to build competing wagons is a good idea. This works best if you can believe the Top 8 posters are all town (which I think is very improbable). Following this plan basically means their votes are going to be "random". In the sense that we can't use the vote history later for any information. They will just be splitting their votes among the 4 lowest posters regardless of their own suspicions and we'd be at a loss for vote patterns today. Only people we'll really get information on are the MIDposters for stating their cases for or against the LOWposters. Also, we're not yet past half of Day 1 either, I wouldn't say it's fair to say that the low posters are low posters, just yet. There's plenty of time to post and contribute.

I support the spirit of your plan but not the execution. I have an alternative. We each make a list of 4-5 low posters/lurkers/etc. A list of people we think are trying to skirt by with no effort or just people we want to see more participation for. And then we place our votes accordingly.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:Okay, cool, thanks. :D

In order to help me solve the game and feel comfortable that I can start substantively reading players (particularly in the early stages of the game), I've found that I like to engage other players in live conversation, particularly after I've recently caught up on a bunch of content, and unfortunately I haven't been able to do that yet.

Likely I'll be working on a rainbow list once I'm caught up as well. Helps me sort my thoughts on everyone and keeps me transparent. And I always like feedback on it, though usually only Golden gives it to me. :p
I see. I'm partial to rainbow lists. I often do them as well, it's quite common on PerC. However, I don't think I'm going to do one here, cause I just don't feel like it now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 152

Post by Silverwolf »

I just woke up and am still a little cranky but I have to rant for a bit cuz it's bugging me and will make me feel better:

In Turf Wars, I went after low content lurkers and turned out to be right that some of them were scum. I was basically discredited by townies in that game as being tinfoil because those posters had low content and they kept going after each other and the wrong people. Even after I was killed, they ignored me.

My MP vote was to get a reaction out of him. I DO NOT appreciate Golden's insinuations that I was going after him for RL which I would never do. Golden kept twisting it to that and it pissed me off. There was nothing wrong with my vote and I have no idea of MP's alignment-I'm gonna go read all his posts a little later-but I DO NOT appreciate Golden interfering with my vote and interaction with MP and defending MP the way he did. If MP is town and Golden is town, it's fine but there is no way for Golden to know that unless he's scum.

I think he's scum who knows MP's alignment. It's the only way for him to be that defensive of him because it's way too early with too little content to get a read on MP so he's not defending a townread as town.

He's a damn good player. As scum, it is easy to get into an argument and be all logical and level headed and look like town. Who's to say he didn't do that? That said, I'm gonna read all the reactions to is and see what others thing. I incorrectly tunneled Golden in Turf Wars when he was town and even though I realized that and backed off then, I don't want to make the same mistake here. Also, us tunneling back and forth will get us nowhere. I need to get some reads on and ISO others today.

ika defending me is null, he defends me all the time but I need to see more than just defending me here from him when he can post properly again
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Here are more thoughts and questions.

Okay, this probably will get way too long if I wait until I'm caught up, so I'm posting this chunk. It's through about half of page 5. Then Silverwolf asked me some questions, so I'll respond to her separately, then presume a new catch up post.
Frog wrote:
Marco wrote:Ignore my last post.
Frog wrote:
Marco wrote:
sig wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:Hi!
Hello. :beer:
Sloonei wrote:Sig came in and tried to drag as much content out of things as he could. I'd like that if it didn't feel like such an effort to distance oneself from the label of low participation or scumminess.
Let's VOTE SIG
You'd usually like it but, don't this time? That doesn't make much sense.Also it is weird seeing how this is the beginning of day 1 so how would I be labeled as low participation if I hadn't had made any posts after my first one? :shrug:

So why is it scummy that I'm posting and trying to get some content, since from where I sit it looks like your trying to stifle discussion. :eye:
He wasn't calling you out for low participation.
For reference, this is Marco randomly defending Sloonei from Sig.

Why would any player have incentive to defend another player, especially in the early stages where players are seeking reactions? Marco essentially forced Sig to not get the reactions from Marco, and shielded Marco from having to react.

From a Town perspective - It's possible Marco was shielding his town read, Sloonei, from abuse. Judging how Marco proceeded to vote me after I voted Sloonei, I would say assuming Marco!Town, Marco clearly has discovered a way to hard Town read Sloonei from a few troll RVS posts, a miracle to say the least.

From a Not Town Perspective - Marco!Town was acting not town by disallowing everyone in the game from seeing actual content argument between sig and marco, whereby we would be able to actively gauge v/w, v/v type of interactions. Instead Marco!Town was not town and cut these interactions shorts, and denied Marco's reaction

From a Scum Perspective - Marco!Scum comes from an informed perspective. Either he knows Sloonei is town and is trying to pocket him, or Marco is defending a wolf bro.

Of these scenarios, and because of Marco's previous TMI (Too Much Information) posts that suggest he's coming from an informed perspective, I'm much more inclined to deduce and FOS (Finger of Suspicion) Marco at this point OVER Sloonei.

There is a variation in which Sloonei is in fact Town - judging by Sloonei's aggressive behavior and general interactivity across the board, I'd like to bump Sloonei up from lean scum to cautious null.

I will also bump down Marco into a hard wolf read.

[flash=3]Vote: Marco[/flash]
It is not defending when I clarified Sig's obvious misinterpretation. And I corrected Sig because I was interested in the actual answer to the question Sloonei asked. This had nothing to do with Sloonei. How is it that you brought nothing of this up until after I voted for you and called you out?

As for the hypo-claiming clarification, that's my bad. I didn't understand your proposed strategy clearly.
I had already noticed fishy behavior between you and Sloonei in particular. I decided not to bring it up to see how you two would act and vote. Sure enough, like sharks you seem to be buddying Marco hardcore.

I'm going to disagree with you entirely in your defence of your actions. You have no engaged with me in the advantages and disadvantages of jumping into discussion that did not include YOU. I've gone over the benefits and setbacks depending on perspectives, and it is clearly anti-town.

By jumping into Sig and Sloonei's conversation, you have cut Sloonei out of the picture, thereby IMPLICITLY defending Sloonei, AND almost EXPLICITLY defending Sloonei by pressuring the player (Sig) who was pressuring Slooeni.

Again, it's very simple if you want to have a real honest discussion based on logic and actual content. I can't imagine why it's so hard for you to simply acknowledge my questions and answer my logical content. I have to deduce you are scum, which is really no fun since the game JUST started. Meh, I'll take the easy lynch if you're going to be no fun.
I'm currently reading Frog's behavior through page 4 as slight mafia. All of this seems way too aggressive and not grounded in what he purports.

Frog, if you wouldn't mind, it'd be appreciated if you could demonstrate the post where Marco explicitly defended Sloonei.
Marco wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Marco wrote:As my suspicion of Frog was because of my own misinterpretation, UNVOTE
What did you misinterpret and how has he changed your mind?
I didn't realize he meant we hypo-claim all the possible roles from the 12 setups. I have only ever come across hypo-claims in open setup games, not semi-open, so my immediate reaction was that "we can't hypo-claim", we have no idea what setup we're in.

To demonstrate: Generally the setups I've played with people hypoing involve just cop, doctor, RB, hypos as we know all three roles are present.

I was thinking along those lines and missed out that Frog meant we claim ever role. So, it appeared to me that Frog slipped and didn't realize that town doesn't know what setup we're playing.
I like this post and overall train of thought by Marco. He seems willing to reevaluate, which is a quality I would associate with attempting to solve the game.
Sloonei wrote:So far it seems all of us who are mixed in with this current grouping are unfamiliar with each other's playstyles and communities. I've never played with either Frog or Marco before, and I don't know whether or not they've played together but I think the answer is no. Either one of them can correct me if I'm wrong. But I think we should all be cautious before reading each other too strongly. Sometimes unfamiliarity can give the illusion of scumminess. I'll need to take a step back from all this to think more clearly. I am also slightly distracted at the moment.
I agree with this post by Sloonei, notably the underlined statement. Didn't spoiler it for ease of reading and since it's not that big.
Zexy wrote:I lean town on Psittaciform’s first post. Because meta. Only a lean, though.

What Frog’s done in the beginning is scummy (strategy talk + RVS hypocrisy), but votes piled up a bit too easily which made me paranoid, mostly about Marco. And Frog’s accusations of Marco are really good and he brings up towny points, although he overdoes it with TMI at some point. And there’s some tunneling going on here. I have more trouble accepting a Marco/Sloonei team than just Marco being mafia in the two.

Yet when it comes to Sloonei VS Frog, while Sloonei looks like he wins the argument easily, there is paranoia that kicks in as well. Sloonei’s cases are a bit too perfect. If he is so good, assuming he’s town, it means he could be good scum as well…

That’s it for now, will be back later.
Zexy, I have a few questions on this post.
1) You say what Frog has done in the beginning is scummy with respect to strategy talk and RVS hypocrisy. What do you find hypocritical about his stance on RVS?
2) You say his accusations of Marco are really good and he brings up towny points. What are these points and why do you think they're really good?
3) Can you elaborate on what you mean by Sloonei's cases being a bit too perfect? What posts/cases in particular?
Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: Let's drown Golden out so he knows what to expect from MU. :beer:
Oh. It's your fault.
Damn straight it's my fault, even though I didn't contribute directly near as much as I'd like. You gotta be ready for posting avalanches over at MU. :slick:
Golden wrote:
Zexy wrote:
Sloonei wrote:What I didn't like about your posts is that they seemed like an easy opportunistic set of early observations when there wasn't a whole lot of content to analyze. It's a good and easy way to establish yourself early on as a town leader.
I don't think you are the kind of person who would base a read only on that anyway when so much more is going to happen.
I'd like to believe same goes for sig.
Sometimes very early reads are the most accurate. Frequently people make their biggest mistakes before they find their footing in the game. If sloonei really believed in his read, why would it be expected for him to 'not only rely on that'?
This is called the "MacDougall" effect.

Seriously though, Golden, while I mostly agree with the point you make here, I want to make an additional unrelated point of general commentary (not at you in particular):

I think also that I've seen people be horrendously wrong with early game suspicions, never be able to let them go, and the players that last until endgame are the ones that avoided suspicion for whatever reason in the first few cycles, and usually not because they were particularly townie-seeming players. So I think we should avoid that.
Golden wrote:
Zexy wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Sig, what is the nature of your ping on me? How strong is it and why is it there?
I like this post. You really don't let a single sentence slip, don't you?
I can confirm that sloonei doesn't let a single sentence slip.

But he knows it. I once got lynched day 2 for defending sloonei hard day 1, when he was in fact scum, because I thought he just looked like his town self in not letting sentences slip.

So I'm not letting it affect my judgment of sloonei either way.
Golden, wouldn't you agree though that Sloonei did let his sentences slip in that game, which led to his lynch? That's how I would think of it. If so, how can you confirm that Sloonei doesn't let a single sentence slip? Or do you mean town Sloonei?
Golden wrote:I'm liking frog. He's trying to solve the game. He's explained his reads well and I feel like they are genuine.
Huh, I'm getting the impression that Frog's trying to solve the game, but I'm not convinced. What gives you the impression that they are genuine, Golden? And can you point to one post where you believe he explained his reads well? Thanks in advance.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

EBWOP: Oops, I typed presume. I meant resume.

Linki w/ Silverwolf: I'll read this all and provide an opinion when I'm caught up with it, since it seems to discuss things I haven't reached yet.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Silverwolf wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Why not. VOTE METALMARSH89 because it always feels good. :beer:
:beer:

Well, now that you're here and self-voted, I don't feel like voting for you anymore. :P

More notably, I'd advise all Syndicateers to note that we have a hammer mechanic in this game, which is 100% new to any game on The Syndicate thus far (though I plan on utilizing it in some of my games going forward). I was OK with putting a single joke vote on you at the beginning, but I'm not OK with putting you any closer than that to a potential hammer, so...

VOTE A2THEZEBRA

to make her appear. :nicenod:

I encourage everyone to spread the "love" around with your votes, but be aware of the hammer function.
Just pointing out this post seems really cautious. Putting one vote on someone and then being afraid of hammer is weird. It takes 9 to lynch. I'm used to hammer votes. What you do here, is declare L-1 when you put the 8th vote on and the next person declares intent to hammer, giving the opportunity for the lynchee to give final reads and claim. We are nowhere near that so this is a really odd thing to worry about early game with one vote on a person.

-MP have you ever played in a game with the hammer function on another site?

-Why is metalmarsh voting for himself make you want to move your vote?
Silverwolf, I'd say that it seems really cautious because... it is really cautious! That's my MO until I get my footing and form a strong mafia read on someone, then cautious may not be the best way to describe my play.

I am aware it takes 9 to lynch; however, I knew how insanely busy I was going to be yesterday (I had a bunch of tests to grade among other things), and I've seen bandwagons form in games here overnight, so I had no idea what would happen while I was gone from the thread, even if a hammer lynch would have been very unlikely. I wanted to make my thoughts on my vote abundantly clear and express that I no longer felt comfortable with it. I wanted to, on a different but related point, simultaneously bring up and emphasize the hammer function, since it's new to the site completely.

I didn't know about the procedure as to how the hammer is declared, so I appreciate that explanation.

I have not played a game with the hammer function on another site.

It's not the fact that he voted for himself; it's the fact that he had a tally of more than my vote on him, and actually more due to the fact that he actually showed up to the thread while I was still there. I was merely placing my vote on him in a meaningless matter, if anything meaningful can be said of it, it was a pressure vote, but obviously of the weakest variety. Same could be said of my zebra vote. I wanted to vote right off the bat, but I knew my convictions in actually voting another player to die were about as weak as possible, so I knew I would be moving it in due time and I didn't want to leave someone with a tally of two before being gone from the thread for a long period of time. It was 100% cautious of me.

If you want further clarification or any of that doesn't make sense, let me know.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Silverwolf wrote:I just woke up and am still a little cranky but I have to rant for a bit cuz it's bugging me and will make me feel better:

In Turf Wars, I went after low content lurkers and turned out to be right that some of them were scum. I was basically discredited by townies in that game as being tinfoil because those posters had low content and they kept going after each other and the wrong people. Even after I was killed, they ignored me.

My MP vote was to get a reaction out of him. I DO NOT appreciate Golden's insinuations that I was going after him for RL which I would never do. Golden kept twisting it to that and it pissed me off. There was nothing wrong with my vote and I have no idea of MP's alignment-I'm gonna go read all his posts a little later-but I DO NOT appreciate Golden interfering with my vote and interaction with MP and defending MP the way he did. If MP is town and Golden is town, it's fine but there is no way for Golden to know that unless he's scum.

I think he's scum who knows MP's alignment. It's the only way for him to be that defensive of him because it's way too early with too little content to get a read on MP so he's not defending a townread as town.

He's a damn good player. As scum, it is easy to get into an argument and be all logical and level headed and look like town. Who's to say he didn't do that? That said, I'm gonna read all the reactions to is and see what others thing. I incorrectly tunneled Golden in Turf Wars when he was town and even though I realized that and backed off then, I don't want to make the same mistake here. Also, us tunneling back and forth will get us nowhere. I need to get some reads on and ISO others today.

ika defending me is null, he defends me all the time but I need to see more than just defending me here from him when he can post properly again
Have you read my posts on this topic before writing this?
ika
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 217

Post by ika »

hello everyone i jsut got up but i am about to head out shortly i have been skimming the thread ever so slightly and one of the thing the newer players seem to be not knowing is me and SW background

me and SW knwo each other IRL and met online and we are dating, do not use that in the game though, there is a reaosn this is in off topic, last time it got mentioned in turf we both got upset in game. i do not use it as a reason to read her
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer

Post by Silverwolf »

Marco wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Hi Marco, are you town?
Yes, I am town.
Frog wrote:Quick Plan:

These players
Golden 53
Marco 43
Sloonei 41
Frog 34
Dyslexicon 27
Silverwolf 25
sig 20
Zexy 20
Will Split up into groups of 2 and vote these players, putting each of them at 2 votes:
DrWilgy 4
Metalmarsh89 4
a2thezebra 3
Psittaciform 2
These guys will have to make a cases for each of the slankers, and finish up the votes:
MovingPictures07 13
ika 11
Long Con 11
Inawordyes 10
If this splits evenly, all 4 slankers should be put at 3 votes each.

For reference, with a hammer, the vote required to hammer is currently 9 votes.
Since there are 4 wolves, it would require 5 town to pile onto the incorrect pick, and all 4 wolves to snipe the incorrect pick, thereby explicitly revealing their team. What I'm saying is, if we choose these 4 players as wagons now, we are certainly safe within the realms of variation putting each of the 4 lurkers to 3+/- 2 votes (1-5 votes on each).

I think this is an optimal strategy since, as I've pointed, I believe wolves are least likely to be engaged in the game because it is not in their wincon, and wolves are lazy AF in games unfortunately. I believe at least one wolf must exist in that group of 4, although I believe more exist in that group of 4 personally. If we force wolves to vote amongst wolves and nonwolves, we put them in a situation that makes them mechanically vulnerable! This is optimal IMO.

I hope you all join me in my plan to make wagons on these 4 players and collect everyone's reads on these 4 players.
What do you think about the possibility this will harm VCA (vote count analysis for those who are not familiar with the terminology) later in the game?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

ika wrote:hello everyone i jsut got up but i am about to head out shortly i have been skimming the thread ever so slightly and one of the thing the newer players seem to be not knowing is me and SW background

me and SW knwo each other IRL and met online and we are dating, do not use that in the game though, there is a reaosn this is in off topic, last time it got mentioned in turf we both got upset in game. i do not use it as a reason to read her
Kind of assumed that tbh. It's relevant information to the people who don't know you, so thanks for that. Also would like your thoughts on everything and anything not Silver-related.
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer

Post by Silverwolf »

Wow, did I butcher the hell out of that last post. LOL
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

I'm a bit bothered that noone has had more than 3 votes at a point (iirc). I'm not used to that at all. We need more wagons. We need clear lynch candidates.
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer

Post by Silverwolf »

I didn't get upset that the fact ika and I were dating was brought up but in Turf Wars we were both early read as scum for concentrating on each other to start the game and that's really NAI with us. It' not alignment indicative and it was frustrating to be scumread for playstyle. That said, I don't do that nearly as much in games now. It helps me broaden my focus.

Pedit-or linki (depending on what lingo I want to use)

I am used to wagoning people as well. For whatever reason they don't do that as much here. I'm gonna check out the wagons later today.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Marco wrote:Quick semi-OT:
1. Can someone explain the color tagging here to me?
2. Is there any way to have the quoted post be linked in the quote box? The board I come from lets us attach the post number after the player's name - quote=ProfessorX;2837489. Convenient, especially when you want to cut out superfluous text but don't want to make tough for people to find out the context.
Did anyone ever answer this question of Marco's, does anyone know? Sorry if it has been answered, but I saw it asked a little while ago on page 5 and I haven't seen a response yet. If not, I can respond.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Dyslexicon wrote:
Silverwolf wrote:I just woke up and am still a little cranky but I have to rant for a bit cuz it's bugging me and will make me feel better:

Silver, this was for you in case you didn't see it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

YES, FINALLY, A NEW PAGE. Page 5 was dense.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Let's wagon Golden then. Only because of love and support, naturally.

VOTE GOLDEN
ika
Drug Dealer

Post by ika »

Dyslexicon wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:

Silver, this was for you in case you didn't see it.
She might of not.

that being said im gonna try to skima agin to get my reads oragnized. i havnt been payign enough attention due to me being out fo state

and MP no we are not visiting each other right now
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dom »

Frog wrote: Lol, I saw a "dom" on the who posted list and removed it, assuming it was a mod. Just realied JJJ is the host for the game and is outposting half of the players. Shameful.
Hello, Frog. I am Dom. :D

I am your moderator on Duty and am reading the game to make sure everyone has fun and no one is an asshat. I'm not here to punish anyone. I'm here to mediate conflict and be a punching bag. PM me if you have anymore questions or need to punch a bag.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Dom wrote:Hello, Frog. I am Dom. :D

I am your moderator on Duty and am reading the game to make sure everyone has fun and no one is an asshat. I'm not here to punish anyone. I'm here to mediate conflict and be a punching bag. PM me if you have anymore questions or need to punch a bag.
This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

ika
Drug Dealer

Post by ika »

so after rereading the first few pages (more like glossed), sig seems odd, I agree on silvers idea of MP being "cautious" (town should not care IMO)

town read delex, frog (not doing the plan), and sloonie.

anyone else want to talk to me go right ahead i got about 20-30 mins
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

ika wrote:so after rereading the first few pages (more like glossed), sig seems odd, I agree on silvers idea of MP being "cautious" (town should not care IMO)

town read delex, frog (not doing the plan), and sloonie.

anyone else want to talk to me go right ahead i got about 20-30 mins
I want to know if you have the intention of reading the whole thread before day ends? :llama:

Return to “Previous Sit Downs”