Tactical Chaos

Post your incomplete mafia game submissions here, regardless of game type. You may not even be sure which type you'll go with yet.

Moderator: Community Team

Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 6

Tactical Chaos

Post by Nevinera »

Prepare your spreadsheets, please!

Tactical Chaos (13 players)

Every role has two targets, a red target and a green target. Some abilities only affect one of those, but every player must choose both a red and a green target each night. Unspecified targets are assumed to be 'self'.

There are three teams of four, none of which initially have BTSC, and one independent role. There are no secret powers, just very confusing ones.
Whenever two players on the same team are each others' green targets, they gain BTSC permanently.
Whenever a player has a teammate as his red target, he is informed of that fact afterward.
Whenever a player has a teammate as his green target, that target is informed that the player is their teammate afterward.
In these general cases, what matters is who he had as his target when his power was resolved, not his original target or final target.

Abilities are resolved in random order (actually random, not arbitrary), but the Queen is always first.
Generally speaking, green targets are beneficially affected and red targets are detrimentally affected.

"Death" during the first two day/night cycles (NK or voted) instead is 'cursed' - it confers a permanent +1 penalty in all future votes.
Lynches during this period do not reveal identity, but any teammates who voted for the lynch-ee are afterward informed that it was their teammate.
Lynch ties are broken randomly.

TODO: I have not solved the 1v1 endgame problem yet.
A random finish is definitely not the answer - I've been considering causeing the third (unrepresented) team to win if the game is reduced to 1v1,
but that would cause the players in a 1v1v1 to each try to die.. I'll be giving this part more thought.

Note: players are not told when their targets have been changed.
All answers are phrased to not convey that information: "your red target was a teammate", not "player X is a teammate".

TEAM FISH:

Haddock - your green target starts tomorrows vote with one less vote, and your red target starts it with one extra vote.

Tuna - If your targets are the same player, switch his red and green targets.

Flounder - Learn your red target's original red target and your green target's original green target (in that order).

Pirhana - If your red target's red target is your green target, he (your red target) is killed.

TEAM TRIANGLE:

Scalene - If your red target is not anyone's green target, your green target's vote counts triple tomorrow.

Equilateral - Your green target's red target changes to match your red target. Your red target's green target changes to match your green target.

Right - If your two targets are on the same team, learn that team.

Isosceles - If your two targets are different players on the same team, and either is the green target of the other, he is killed (if both are green targets of each other, your red target is the one that dies).

TEAM TOOL:

Pliers - your red target's green target is changed to yourself. Your green target now targets both of his original targets.

Level - your targets have no effect. You get a list of all people that targeted you each night, and with which color.

Wrench - In tomorrow's vote, votes for your green target count as votes for your red target (unless you are your own green target).

Hammer - If your red target is the red target for at least three other players OR is his own red target, he is killed.

INDEPENDENT:

The Queen of Hearts - Each turn, all players with her as their red targets change their red target to match hers.
Her green target, unless it is herself, starts the following vote with five fewer votes (and is so informed).
She wins immediately if only one team remains in the game and she is still alive.
Her power always resolves first (which makes her quite hard to night-kill, though not impossible).
Last edited by Nevinera on Wed May 15, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tactical Chaos

Post by thellama73 »

Your scalene triangle looks right to me.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Nevinera »

thellama73 wrote:Your scalene triangle looks right to me.
They can be.. But I guess I should distinguish.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

This is intriguing. Definitely interested to see how this turns out!
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Nevinera »

A possibility I'm considering:

The winner in a 1v1 endgame is whichever player has been red-targeted the most times, tie is broken by the team total of same.

This has the downside of being difficult to fix when the endgame starts, but as long as that information is available to all the players it just becomes another tactical consideration. It has the benefit that the last night with three players (if one happens) will be very complicated :-P
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Nevinera »

Right now I'm toying with making everyone's red target be whomever they voted for during the day. That should make those votes more interesting and important.
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I've read this game twice and I'm still completely all "wtf? I don't understand anything."

I'm sure this is more my fault than yours btw.

it's intriguing. But I don't understand it.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Nevinera »

Yeah, I'd have to do a lot of clarifying before anyone could play it - the roles and rules are only described sufficiently for myself ATM.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

bea wrote:I've read this game twice and I'm still completely all "wtf? I don't understand anything."

I'm sure this is more my fault than yours btw.

it's intriguing. But I don't understand it.
I agree with bea. This game is definitely for specific players with mega spreadsheet skillz.

However, if I took more time to work it out it could be fun. No pings in this game it seems.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Nevinera »

I actually don't use spreadsheets - the 'posts in thread' button has been sufficient for me so far.

The point of this game is really to conceal activity in complexity instead of lack of information -
every player starts out on a team which will eventually have btsc, and all the roles share a few significant informational powers.
You'd actually all have quite a *lot* of information after just a few days, especially once you're able to find each other and share data.

You should all be operating in a surplus of information to discuss, rather than a vacuum.
I think the baddie roles are usually way more fun to play in regular mafia games, so I tried to figure out how I could produce that effect for everyone in the game.

Return to “The Basement”