7%

Total votes: 15
Dyslexicon
<3
Posts in topic: 347

Re: Phenon Mafia: Day 1 - And Into the Fire

Post by Dyslexicon »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:lol gonna fake slip weeeeeee

(Though, I would be inclined to the first mindset too, but probably too lazy as I'm not loving playing scum as much, and also not confident enough without knowing the player pool.)

The flack I get now from Long Con and Jack seems to be an argument of my play being deemed useless or harmful, (which I don't agree with), but the question should be whether I'm scum or not.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 733
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dyslexicon's chances of being the Day 1 lynch pre-SlipGate ~~~ low

Dyslexicon's chances of being the Day 1 lynch post-SlipGate ~~~ high

If you suspect Dizzy, please tell me whether you agree with the above assertions.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Jettisoning the "real slip" theory in favor of fake slip or fake fake slip. Still waiting on an answer to Silver's big purple question about why this tactic of Dizzy is town.
I did answer it:
Dyslexicon wrote:
Silver Lantern wrote:Can Dyslexicon please answer this question?
I can, though I personally don't think it's very relevant. As a matter of fact the only player even commenting on it in that game turned out to be scum. She commented, then forgot about it, and when I reminded her next game day she tried to twist it to an argument for suspicion. I had had a tunnel-vision scum read on her regardless of this (that I struggled to articulate, cause it was very gut-based), so I'm not sure the fakeslip in itself really did that much (also, the site meta makes that situation different - it's more interesting here).

This rant is only half relevant:
However, I believe JJJ and Golden's take that I "just like to do stuff like that" is more relevant. Have you ever done something just because you felt like it? Obviously, that is not the whole story, but I generally like to experiment and try to expand possibilities. I'm also think I'm generally better at creating waves than forming solid reads, especially D1 (though me reads haven't been bad lately actually). In short, I'm trying to make my own style, personality and game philosophy work for me and for town. Sometimes I may go overboard, sometimes I think the style works for me (both as in I feel good about my play and I'm having fun). Some players may find it perplexing or even "not good play". Personally, I don't believe there's any one way to play mafia as long as you try your best to play to your wincon. Different players do it in different ways, which makes the game even harder and more exciting.

What is regretful is that I may have taken up too much time and attention. And while I'm an attention whore, it may not have been the best situation. But what's done is done and I have beer in my fridge.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Long Con wrote:The dishonesty of the tactic is what seems scummy. Where a Civ would genuinely try to find Mafia, the Mafia has to fake it. You look like you're faking it.
Then show me how I'm not genuine about finding mafia. What in my questioning of players and trying to develop reads does not read genuine to you overall? I'm trying to find scum right in this moment.
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 555

Post by Quin »

Copy & paste from the other game:

My intention is for my activity here to be as limited as possible here over the next few days. I'm starting that new marketing job on Thursday, and I'm kind of a fish out of water in that regard because of all the platforms and software that she wants me to learn and use, so I really need to study up on all this stuff beforehand. My parents are in Sydney for the next few days too, so I'm basically playing housekeeper at the same time.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 200
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Dyslexicon wrote:
Long Con wrote:The dishonesty of the tactic is what seems scummy. Where a Civ would genuinely try to find Mafia, the Mafia has to fake it. You look like you're faking it.
Then show me how I'm not genuine about finding mafia. What in my questioning of players and trying to develop reads does not read genuine to you overall? I'm trying to find scum right in this moment.
You do have some posts that are not slip-related that look like genuine hunting. You would look way better to me if your day consisted of those kinds of posts and excluded the whole slip thing.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 733
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

My burnout is hitting critical mass. Next time I play Mafia I am going to Vompatti it. I am marking it down now. If in my next game anyone sees me doing my usual shtick, refer me to this please. I need a break. I will step away from the game for a while, probably until we're approaching the deadline. I feel it in my throbbing brain.

No slight on your game sprityo, it's been fun so far!
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 270
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:But...he did get suspected and link to that post.

The first is predictable. The second is controllable.
What I'm saying is for that logic to hold, one would have to assert that Dyslexicon intended for the scenario to progress that way. Somewhere in the brain this had to happen:

I am going to fake-fake slip. These people don't know me and will probably give me a lot of crap for it, but then I'll negate that crap with my link. Mwahaha.

I don't think that's a likely mindset for anyone. At the very least I think it's less likely than this one:

lol gonna fake slip weeeeeee
I feel like your first scenario is a better scum plan than your second one is a town plan.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Dyslexicon's chances of being the Day 1 lynch pre-SlipGate ~~~ low

Dyslexicon's chances of being the Day 1 lynch post-SlipGate ~~~ high

If you suspect Dizzy, please tell me whether you agree with the above assertions.
I agree with the first, not with the second.

Not feeling as strongly anti Dizzy as I was before because I think the "slip" and excuse were planned. Currently my favorite lynch option but not one I'm in love with.
Dyslexicon wrote:Hi, Jack. Do you have questions for me?

:cloud9:
Not really.

I'd prefer to spread my focus a bit, now.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Nachomamma8 wrote:Other people that could die are Soneji for his perspective on Silver Lantern who is painfully and unmistakably obvtown, and Scotty for lame presence this game when he had awesome presence as town last game and underwhelming presence as scum.

I think Strawhenge joins Silver Lantern and Fred for my "bet the farm" townreads, feel pretty good about the big three in Quin/JJJ/Golden so far although incidentally those three is where I'm the most cautious in my townreading.

Also townreading nutella and INH and probably other people to a degree less than the SUPATOWN group but more than the big three. Am sure that I'm missing things but too tired to figure out what, fading out now.
Nachomamma8 wrote:Liking Soneji.
What changed here, Nacho?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Long Con wrote:You do have some posts that are not slip-related that look like genuine hunting. You would look way better to me if your day consisted of those kinds of posts and excluded the whole slip thing.
I don't care about how I look. I care about whether you think I'm truly scum, and right now I'm not feeling that.

---

Jack trending a bit upwards me thinks.

Would most of all like for people like Sorasha, Wilgy and Ethol to provide game related content.

Now sleep.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 104
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Finally caught up -- I've been slowly chasing the thread all day (slept in fairly late so there was already a lot but then I had work in the afternoon and was reading on my phone when I could). It's been an interesting read, but I don't have much concrete to say about the discussions that have been going on, other than that I'm still pretty inclined to townread Dys. The fake-fake-slip theory is worth some entertainment, but like JJJ I'm finding it pretty improbable that Dys would have planned ahead to link the townie meta -- it definitely didn't seem planned, and again I think the "k I'm gonna fakeslip to see what happens/just for the lulz" mindset is much more likely the case and I buy that it's a common enough strategy. Honestly the general category of doing something "zany" like that early on to gauge reactions is far from unheard of here, it's just that Dizzy's type of slip in particular seemed kind of oddly specific and excessively risky. But I buy it. That's just how some players like to play, putting in some risk to generate discussion.

Anyway, I'm going to switch gears and work on a post about who I'm interested in pursuing for the lynch.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Both Wilgy and Sorsha have only 6 posts each, and haven't posted for a while. Sorsha seems to have completely disappeared after the map discussion, even though people continued to talk about her endlessly. It would be nice to see her come back and contribute some thoughts.

Wilgy's absence worries me more though. Given what happened in ROT3K, I didn't really find his jokey wifom thing with MM to be much of a laughing matter, and in fact it very much tempts me to lynch him D1 and see if lightning doesn't strike twice. In my experience with him he's almost always a D1 candidate and almost always flips bad. :p

Sig also hasn't posted for a while, and I don't get warm fuzzy feelings from the few posts that he does have. I think I need more content from him before I can really judge but I don't feel great about him as is.

I just reread Scotty's iso and I feel pretty good about him actually. I agree with him on Wilgy, and he openly changed his tune on Dys after seeing the link. He hinted twice about having some ability that charges based on how much he posts.

There are a handful of players who I either feel pretty neutral about or keep flip-flopping on (Soneji, Strawhenge, INH, Jack, Fred, Speed), and also the JJJ/Golden exchange kind of shook my confidence in JJJ a little bit so I'm still sorting out how I feel about him atm. Maybe I'll try to make a rainbow, a lot of it will probably be pretty GTH/arbitrary but it'll be a good exercise.

For now, Vote: DrWilgy
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:I should probably start asking questions.

Silver/Quin/Fred/LC, gtth read someone in my light green to orange area, would you?

I need more evaluation from the players I've played with the most so I can evaluate your evaluations. :p
LIGHT GREEN
Quin - Slight Civ... the only ping I have had was his Soneji accusation of "shutting down discussion", which isn't accurate in my interpretation
Fred - Civ... just looked back over his posts, and they're pretty genuine
Golden - Civ... same as Quin, I think I'm gettting to know both their games pretty well by now.
YELLOW
Marmot - Bad... feels like he's going through the motions
LC - Civ... I saw his role card
Sig - Bad... not much content yet, but his Golden suspicion feels contrived.
ORANGE
Sorsha - I think she forgot she's playing. Null. I also don't see the "give the map to a female" thing as suspect, despite JJJ's pushing.
Nacho - Civ... Genuine feel
Soneji - Civ... good opinions, many match my own
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

nutella wrote:Both Wilgy and Sorsha have only 6 posts each, and haven't posted for a while. Sorsha seems to have completely disappeared after the map discussion, even though people continued to talk about her endlessly. It would be nice to see her come back and contribute some thoughts.
I was surprised just now, seeing how little Sorsha has been here, and how early her posts are. Surprised because, as you said, I can recall a few different players putting a bad read on her. I thought I would see more from her to justify those reads. I don't know if "endlessly" is quite how I'd describe the Sorsha discussion, but I find her quite unreadable at this time. Maybe it's a low-poster mentality, but I'd put a little light-orange flag on anyone who has expressed an opinion that she's bad.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

nutella wrote:Sig also hasn't posted for a while, and I don't get warm fuzzy feelings from the few posts that he does have. I think I need more content from him before I can really judge but I don't feel great about him as is.
Well put, echoes my thoughts about sig.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 321

Post by speedchuck »

Regarding my read, JJJ:

Don't flatter me. You and Golden weren't arguing about me, but about each other. I even butted in early and clarified some things, and was basically ignored. That HUGE tangent was on you two.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Quin
Golden
Dyslexicon
Scotty
Soneji
JaggedJimmyJay
Long Con
Nachomamma8
Jackofhearts2005
Silver Lantern
Metalmarsh89
speedchuck
Strawhenge
insertnamehere
DFaraday
Elohcin
Sorsha
Fredwood
sig
DrWilgy

My early rainbows tend to be pretty green-yellow heavy/I can be generous with town reads, so surely there are more baddies than I have suspects thus far (perhaps five rather than three? XD ) and a lot of the yellows could go either way, so I'm calling this a satisfying enough rainbow for now. Subject to change.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 344

Post by Golden »

speedchuck wrote:Regarding my read, JJJ:

Don't flatter me. You and Golden weren't arguing about me, but about each other. I even butted in early and clarified some things, and was basically ignored. That HUGE tangent was on you two.
I agree. I certainly wasn't arguing about you.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 22

Post by DrWilgy »

This is fine. Go ahead and lynch me it'll give you a new bump in the road when you try to read my meta.

If you really looked into me, you should notice that my all around posting has decreased over the past few days. Both in this game and others that I'm in. This is fine though and definitely not a sign that I'm busy. ;)

This is an easy mislynch for baddies if anything. Regardless, don't have time to hint/defend atm. Looooooove y'all <33
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

*hunt
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Silver Lantern
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Silver Lantern »

Dyslexicon wrote:
I can, though I personally don't think it's very relevant. As a matter of fact the only player even commenting on it in that game turned out to be scum. She commented, then forgot about it, and when I reminded her next game day she tried to twist it to an argument for suspicion. I had had a tunnel-vision scum read on her regardless of this (that I struggled to articulate, cause it was very gut-based), so I'm not sure the fakeslip in itself really did that much (also, the site meta makes that situation different - it's more interesting here).

---SNIP---

What is regretful is that I may have taken up too much time and attention. And while I'm an attention whore, it may not have been the best situation. But what's done is done and I have beer in my fridge.
It's very relevent, and I really don't like your answer. Had it proven helpful to you or the town a month ago, I could see the justification for pulling that stunt again, but as is, you're basically expecting us to buy that it was useless a month ago and so you decided to use it again in front of what I am understanding to be a bunch of mafia strangers to you, for what? The lols? I just don't see that as very believable argument to be honest. It is irrational, and I hate to reward irrational play.

About the only thing going for you right now is that you're here and active and responding to the pressure on you, which is a lot more admirable than the guys with 6 posts, fwiw.
gfishfunk wrote: Silver Lantern - The only thing that needs to be said: A bull on fire in a flammable china shop.
Silver Lantern
Stool Pigeon

Post by Silver Lantern »

Long Con wrote: ---SNIP---

Silver has spent I don't know how much time, searching the linked thread for "evidence"... and in the end you're just like " :shrug: Take from it what you will!"
To be perfectly honest I have not even clicked on the link.
gfishfunk wrote: Silver Lantern - The only thing that needs to be said: A bull on fire in a flammable china shop.
Silver Lantern
Stool Pigeon

Post by Silver Lantern »

Fredwood wrote:
It's amusing how Standard Silver, silver is playing. So I agree with Orange on Sonjei because of how Green SIlver is being right now so I'm siding with him in the argument out of habit I guess.
Hey I don't pretend to not be predictable. ;)

The funny thing is that Soneji makes some good points, but it's interesting how sensitive he/she seems to be to any suggestion that their arguments are silly.

Take note folks, if you want to get Soneji off their game, just attack his/her weak reasoning and he's sure to start posting dictionary links and frothing at the mouth. :grin:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

damn, my timezone combined with my kinda messed up sleep schedule means that I always miss the really busy thread times and the times when I'm most available to play it's completely dead :( I promise I'll get up in time to be on here before work this time :p :offtobed:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 160
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

countdown of the first day

VOTALS:

Dyslexicon (3): Quin, Strawhenge, Long con
Fredwood (1): DrWilgy
Strawhenge (2): MM, Speedchuck
Soneji (1): Silver Lantern
DrWilgy (3): Scotty, JJJ, nutella
Scotty (1): Nachomamma
MM (1): Dyslexicon

With 21 Alive, it takes 11 to Lynch, and 6 to soft lynch. Day 1 will end on 14th February, 2017 at 10pm EST, or in approx. 17 hours.
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sorsha
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Sorsha »

Voted North. I'm not caught up yet... you guys post way to much.

Please point out to me anything specific I need to address because I'm not sure I'll be reading everything in this thread
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 198
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Strawhenge wrote:OH MY GOD THERE'S A SIRENGIF BUTTON I LOVE IT I WILL NOW DIE HAPPY
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Strawhenge wrote:OH MY GOD THERE'S A SIRENGIF BUTTON I LOVE IT I WILL NOW DIE HAPPY
It's so... big. Do we want a compact version? Or is the size an important factor of indicating the severity of the ping?
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 555

Post by Quin »

Dys's response re: her 'three scumreads' doesn't set off any further alarm bells. The simple fact that I haven't seen this kind of fake-slip tactic before hurts my brain. I simply do not know what I want to do.

I'll come back in the morning.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Silver Lantern
Stool Pigeon

Post by Silver Lantern »

Dys has not power claimed, right?

Change vote: Dyslexicon
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Silver Lantern wrote:Dys has not power claimed, right?

Tell me more about this expectation.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Silver Lantern wrote:
Long Con wrote: ---SNIP---

Silver has spent I don't know how much time, searching the linked thread for "evidence"... and in the end you're just like " :shrug: Take from it what you will!"
To be perfectly honest I have not even clicked on the link.
Shoot, was it Strawhenge then (who I mistakenly called Stonehenge earlier sorry about that)? One of the players I'm new to did it. Referenced something about '6 pairs'. :shrug:
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Silver Lantern wrote:It's very relevent, and I really don't like your answer. Had it proven helpful to you or the town a month ago, I could see the justification for pulling that stunt again, but as is, you're basically expecting us to buy that it was useless a month ago and so you decided to use it again in front of what I am understanding to be a bunch of mafia strangers to you, for what? The lols? I just don't see that as very believable argument to be honest. It is irrational, and I hate to reward irrational play.

About the only thing going for you right now is that you're here and active and responding to the pressure on you, which is a lot more admirable than the guys with 6 posts, fwiw.
I didn't say it was useless. It isn't useless and it hasn't been this game either. It's something that has the potential of making scum reactions stand out. Sadly, I don't feel I have very strong reads atm (for many reasons, one of them being that I know very few players in the game). Though I am voting Marmot atm because of his lack of interest in the slip. I also didn't like his retort to my vote on him. Anyway, for you to get this I believe you need to attempt a mental shift. It's not like I have this grand "method" I'm using. I'm not that planned out. I like opening up and create on D1 - what exactly is created and what conclusions that can be drawn from that is impossible to predict. I've been reading out all I can from everything in the thread all game day, it shouldn't be hard to see that. If I was using this as scum and getting flack for "not gaining enough reads from it", then surely I could just make shit up and pound on it.

You are playstyle policing here. This is not about reward or your validation. This is about finding scum. I did something, spontanious, out of curiousity, hopeful that it might reveal something - and I've been analyzing that and the rest of the thread to the best of my ability. You can call it bad or irrational all day long, and I can call you close minded and unnuanced, but that is not the relevant thing. What's relevant is, does it make sense for you to react this way as town? Does it make sense for me to do what I'm doing as town? If you're town and trying to fit me in your mold you will clearly fail to read me, it's obvious we don't have the same way of going about things. I'm over this conversation. Honestly my play is pretty obv-town and I'm not sure what's so hard to get about it.

Since you are now voting me, I want you to sum up your case on me. I won't respont to it, but I want it out there.
And no, I'm not going to role claim.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Long Con wrote:Shoot, was it Strawhenge then (who I mistakenly called Stonehenge earlier sorry about that)? One of the players I'm new to did it. Referenced something about '6 pairs'. :shrug:
Strawhenge was wrong. If you're really interested then go check it out for yourself.

What's your read on JJJ and Golden?
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

Anyway. I'm over defending myself from playstyle policing. If players want to vote me I expect a written out case of why I'm scum.

I will also require a hug from JJJ.

---

Will look at anti-alignments later.
On the top of my head I have:
JJJ/Nutella
JJJ/Golden
JJJ/Strawhenge
Soneji/Silver
Spped/Golden

^The above pairs are not likely teamed imo, for certain interactions in thread.
Basically, if JJJ flips scum at some point there are some players that are likely spewed town.

Also, I missed that Dfray (don't recall his name) had posted once. In the post he said he was going to start reading. Nothing since. That doesn't fill me with confidence and is actually on the scummier side.
Dyslexicon
<3

Post by Dyslexicon »

DrWilgy wrote:This is fine. Go ahead and lynch me it'll give you a new bump in the road when you try to read my meta.

If you really looked into me, you should notice that my all around posting has decreased over the past few days. Both in this game and others that I'm in. This is fine though and definitely not a sign that I'm busy. ;)

This is an easy mislynch for baddies if anything. Regardless, don't have time to hint/defend atm. Looooooove y'all <33
So any thoughts on the votes on your wagon?
Have you read anything of the game - in which case what can you tell us?
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

insertnamehere wrote:
Long Con wrote:Also, Slex, are all those big-hair women from the same source? You seem to have a lot of them in stock.
RuPaul's Drag Race.

It's kinda like The Wire, but with drag shows.
Is it kinda like the Wire in terms of tone and content? Or kinda like the Wire in that they are both on your TV?

Is there a button that is just "out of game color"? Dead is probably red. Sarc is probably the board's sarcastic color. Not sure what Colonel, pedo and overtime are supposed to do.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Dyslexicon wrote:
Long Con wrote:Shoot, was it Strawhenge then (who I mistakenly called Stonehenge earlier sorry about that)? One of the players I'm new to did it. Referenced something about '6 pairs'. :shrug:
Strawhenge was wrong. If you're really interested then go check it out for yourself.
No, my point was that a lot of posts and effort have, predictably, gone into analyzing the fakeslip. My point wasn't about the information that can be gleaned from delving into the linked game, so I don't need to check it out for myself.
What's your read on JJJ and Golden?
I have spoken a bit on them:
Long Con wrote:JJJ/Golden: During the exchange, I was of the opinion that JJJ was trying to pick Golden apart, and put him into a rock/hard place situation. His final words on it are a pretty strong explanation, but I don't doubt that he can sling a fancy word or two when needed. Slight scum lean on you, JJJ. You might have just pulled the chute when Golden turned into biting off more than you could chew.
Long Con wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Golden wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:This is not so much a point of suspicion to me as the logic is just bugging me. You're using hindsight here.
Yeah, he said something like 'why would I draw golden's ire' as well, but he knows that I'm quite willing to say that someone who suspects me is doing so from a genuine town perspective if I think that they are. I'm a big opponent of the false 'if you come after me, you must be bad' logic, and I like to believe I don't fall into that trope.
I do think you return accusations upon your accusers more often than many, or at least more often than other high volume posters similar to you. It isn't meant as a criticism, just an observation of your meta. It's actually the main reason I ended my share of the discussion -- your treatment of me in response to my questioning, whether my questions were fair or not, was in line with behavior I've often seen from you (recently in particular).
I agree with this, and I will add that, even when returning an accusation, civ Golden is usually very fair about holding on to it or letting go.
Slight scum JJJ, slight Civ Golden.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
insertnamehere wrote:
Long Con wrote:Also, Slex, are all those big-hair women from the same source? You seem to have a lot of them in stock.
RuPaul's Drag Race.

It's kinda like The Wire, but with drag shows.
Is it kinda like the Wire in terms of tone and content? Or kinda like the Wire in that they are both on your TV?

Is there a button that is just "out of game color"? Dead is probably red. Sarc is probably the board's sarcastic color. Not sure what Colonel, pedo and overtime are supposed to do.
OT is Off-Topic green
np is non-player blue
ped is pedantic pink
sarc is sarcastic orange
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Feeling less shiny about JJJ than before the Golden argument, honestly. Still not enough for a scumread.
I'm not sure whether I'm voting Strawhenge because of his broken logic or me actually thinking he's scum. He's basically fabricated information from a different mafia game to justify his weird suspicions of Dizzy, and I'm not a fan of that.
Dizzy hasn't come off smelling like a rose, but Silver Lantern is hurting my brain with their arguments. Every post that they make with a vote change spins my head like a top.
I like Soneji right now, and I'm okay with Dyslexicon for at least another day (His stunt spurred most of my reads). Anyone else that has a vote on them is someone I wouldn't feel bad about lynching.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

speedchuck wrote:I'm okay with Dyslexicon for at least another day (His stunt spurred most of my reads).
...maybe I am being unreasonable about this then. Maybe the fakeslip was more useful than I believed.

I'll be back in a bit, gotta do farm chores.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Long Con wrote:

Though I shouldn't make a habit of speaking for others (it always makes me look bad, even if we're both town and even if I'm disagreeing), I'll field this.

It is very common for HCRealms lynches to revolve around believability of a claim.

Playing in an X-Men game and claiming Wolverine? You're gonna get a little slack. Claiming cop but you only have results on dead players (night kills generally flip on our board) or already trusted town? You're gonna get the side eye. It's generally bad form to lynch without allowing for a claim of some sort ("Wth? I'm Wolverine/the cop, you guys! Why didn't you wait before you lynched me?") and it's considered scummy to endure pressure without claiming ("Clearly, he's googling X-Men and trying to find a believable claim. Or else he's just avoiding claiming cause he knows there's a good chance he's be called out for lying").

I don't think claiming is going to be nearly as powerful/standard in this setup as Silver is used to.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dyslexicon wrote:Anyway. I'm over defending myself from playstyle policing. If players want to vote me I expect a written out case of why I'm scum.

I will also require a hug from JJJ.

---

Will look at anti-alignments later.
On the top of my head I have:
JJJ/Nutella disagree
JJJ/Golden tend to agree
JJJ/Strawhenge disagreeish
Soneji/Silver strongly agree
Spped/Golden who?
Scotty/Dizzy

^The above pairs are not likely teamed imo, for certain interactions in thread.
Basically, if JJJ flips scum at some point there are some players that are likely spewed town.

Also, I missed that Dfray (don't recall his name) had posted once. In the post he said he was going to start reading. Nothing since. That doesn't fill me with confidence and is actually on the scummier side.
My addition/evaluation in pink.

I don't think Quin or Straw are necessarily against you if you are a wolf. Quin could have been leading into your ploy. Straw got going when others fell off. Scotty tried to keep it going when JJJ fell off, then turned around at the link. That reads unscripted.

You are no longer my top lynch target.
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Dyslexicon wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:This is fine. Go ahead and lynch me it'll give you a new bump in the road when you try to read my meta.

So any thoughts on the votes on your wagon?
Have you read anything of the game - in which case what can you tell us?
Not really. I'll refresh decent posts and the. Smash f5 abit.
Image Image Image
Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 213

Post by Fredwood »

Am I the only one that is bothered by this.

I've seen about 4 examples of people giving an I'm busy, sorry for inactivity post in this thread alone. This seems unnecessarily passive aggressive as an explanation for inactivity. No explanation had been given before hand and the onus is not on everyone else to explain your lack of participation so why is it unreasonable for others to be suspicious of you.
Was I the same as when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I am not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I?
Fredwood
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 213

Post by Fredwood »

the word or a derivative of the word explain appeared 3 times in rapid succession in the previous post
Was I the same as when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I am not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
Long Con wrote:
Though I shouldn't make a habit of speaking for others (it always makes me look bad, even if we're both town and even if I'm disagreeing), I'll field this.

It is very common for HCRealms lynches to revolve around believability of a claim.

Playing in an X-Men game and claiming Wolverine? You're gonna get a little slack. Claiming cop but you only have results on dead players (night kills generally flip on our board) or already trusted town? You're gonna get the side eye. It's generally bad form to lynch without allowing for a claim of some sort ("Wth? I'm Wolverine/the cop, you guys! Why didn't you wait before you lynched me?") and it's considered scummy to endure pressure without claiming ("Clearly, he's googling X-Men and trying to find a believable claim. Or else he's just avoiding claiming cause he knows there's a good chance he's be called out for lying").

I don't think claiming is going to be nearly as powerful/standard in this setup as Silver is used to.
This is all true, BUT:
Dizzy has not been under enough pressure to force a claim. Claims are a last-ditch effort to avoid lynch. We haven't gotten that close to lynching him. (or anyone, and we probably need to get there)
So yeah, I get the idea, but no, it's a weird reason for SL to vote. As with all of their other votes. I don't get it. There isn't enough support to pressure a claim or a lynch on Dizzy from what I've seen.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Spped/Golden who?
Speedchuck/Golden, if you want to evaluate that anti-alignment.
Fredwood wrote:

Nope. Feels like an attempt to passively guilt us. Do not like.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 125
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I'm back to catch up. I probably won't be around before the deadline after this.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Fredwood wrote:

I've seen about 4 examples of people giving an I'm busy, sorry for inactivity post in this thread alone. This seems unnecessarily passive aggressive as an explanation for inactivity. No explanation had been given before hand and the onus is not on everyone else to explain your lack of participation so why is it unreasonable for others to be suspicious of you.
I wasn't bothered by it, because Wilgy is Wilgy, and this is Wilgy-ish. You couldn't know that, and with a reread from another perspective, it is a little much. Keeping an eye on him isn't an awful idea, but I wouldn't be bothered by it.
Fredwood wrote:the word or a derivative of the word explain appeared 3 times in rapid succession in the previous post
Word repetition is a Mafia tell 'round here, son. :eye: You'd best be explaining your explanation explanatorily, y'hear?
speedchuck wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
Long Con wrote:

This is all true, BUT:
Dizzy has not been under enough pressure to force a claim. Claims are a last-ditch effort to avoid lynch. We haven't gotten that close to lynching him. (or anyone, and we probably need to get there)
So yeah, I get the idea, but no, it's a weird reason for SL to vote. As with all of their other votes. I don't get it. There isn't enough support to pressure a claim or a lynch on Dizzy from what I've seen.
I like learning about other cultures. I hope that the most useful aspects of having skills in claiming will be absorbed into this game - Syndicate players are not well-practised in it, so show us how it's done right! That said, I understand why you'd be suspicious of Silver's accusation at this stage of the game. I think it looks like he's joking... but with a joke vote? On the person with the most votes? Hm. That makes it more serious by default.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Spped/Golden who?
Speedchuck/Golden, if you want to evaluate that anti-alignment.
I couldn't decipher "Spped" either, now I feel dumb. :haha:
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 125
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Golden wrote:But the question 'does Dizzy have any reason to fake fakeslip?' Yes. He can provide the link and get town cred out of it. There is a reason and it's not even particularly obtuse.

What pinged me is that you answered your own question in a way that feels definitive.
As I suggested earlier in the thread: I prefer to work with probables, not possibles. I do think it's possible that Dizzy fake-fakeslipped for town cred and intended to present the link as his evidences. I don't think it's probable. I have an easier time believing that Dizzy just likes to do that kind of thing, the end. If we were playing somewhere where Dizzy has homefield advantage, I might feel differently.
That's a good way of summing it up.
Soneji wrote:
Silver Lantern wrote:
Soneji wrote:
speedchuck wrote:
Golden wrote: Given you had read the thread through this far and should know that I'd explained at least part of my rationale for why I hadn't voted yet - how do you come to a legitimate vote for me later?
I have no real excuse. The first post was part of a quick 12-page skim, the second was a post just looking at the immediate reaction to the 'scumslip'.
Part of the reason I lost interest so quickly in that vote.
Silver Lantern wrote:
speedchuck wrote: Perhaps I should follow more of this argument, but dang SL, you almost made me switch my vote off of Strawhenge with that reasoning. Is there a post that Soneji makes that argues Dizzy as looking towny?
Yes.
Soneji wrote: Not only does Dys link show him making the exact same play but it happened just last month. There might be room to be skeptical if he had to dig up something from years ago but as is there is nothing to contest.
Filler.
Is that second post supposed to be confirming Dizzy as town? Because I read it as confirming that this play wasn't a scumslip. (No idea what you mean by 'filler').
This doesn't do it for me.
I think he is salty that I said one of his posts might be a "filler" post by mafia, one that seems like it is contributing but has little of actual value.

The irony for me in all of this is that he suspects me in part for thinking I townread someone, when in the GoC game I got lynched partly due to my meta of not doing townreads period. I don't even let myself think of people in terms of them being town, outsidd of mechanical clearance where some healthy skepticism remains.
"That's my secret Captain, I'm always angry..."

Heh, in my home site if your post isn't atleast 10 characters it won't post, so when we post something short, like "no" we tend to follow up with "fills," or "filler."

I am not voting for you cause I am salty (which I always am btw), I am voting for you because you're making silly arguments like saying that something which can give town rep is not a benefit to a mafioso, and therefore not a good play.
The silly argument is that saying the amount of towncred that might be achievable with what Dys pulled is worth the high possibility of getting lynched, especially when hammer rules are in play.

I haven't seen a single person give actual town cred to Dys. Several people are still voting for Dys based on it and others like myself and Golden have outright stated that Dys should not get towncred.

Silly arguments are not exactly mafia motivated arguments though, which is why I'm not voting you. What I don't understand is that if you are so convinced of the probability of a mafia Dys posting a fake slip to gain town cred, why aren't you voting Dys?
I like this post and a couple others I've seen from Soneji.
insertnamehere wrote:Caught up.

Not sure whether I find the people jumping on Dys for his "slip-up" or the people letting Dys slide on through more suspicious.

More analysis needed there.
I also like this post from inh (but I was never going to vote for him anyway).
Dyslexicon wrote:
Strawhenge wrote:Bottom line is, Dizzy had some reason to make a claim in that game. Not as much here.
I also explicitly called it a fakeslip in that other game. So it's clear that that's what it was.
Are you unamused at me suspecting you?
What else would you call it in this game? A real slip?
Silver Lantern wrote:The Posts here don't have post #s or am I just not looking in the right spot?

Complaint # 7 JJJ! ;)
Good idea! I'm not used to such things, but I'll add it to the list of future feature fixtures.
Long Con wrote:Dyslexicon: Is it over? Your fakeslip plan? Should we keep discussing it, or drop it and move on?
What else did you want to talk about?
Golden wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:This is not so much a point of suspicion to me as the logic is just bugging me. You're using hindsight here.
Yeah, he said something like 'why would I draw golden's ire' as well, but he knows that I'm quite willing to say that someone who suspects me is doing so from a genuine town perspective if I think that they are. I'm a big opponent of the false 'if you come after me, you must be bad' logic, and I like to believe I don't fall into that trope.
I suspect you. :grin:
Dyslexicon wrote:

This rant is only half relevant:
However, I believe JJJ and Golden's take that I "just like to do stuff like that" is more relevant. Have you ever done something just because you felt like it? Obviously, that is not the whole story, but I generally like to experiment and try to expand possibilities. I'm also think I'm generally better at creating waves than forming solid reads, especially D1 (though me reads haven't been bad lately actually). In short, I'm trying to make my own style, personality and game philosophy work for me and for town. Sometimes I may go overboard, sometimes I think the style works for me (both as in I feel good about my play and I'm having fun). Some players may find it perplexing or even "not good play". Personally, I don't believe there's any one way to play mafia as long as you try your best to play to your wincon. Different players do it in different ways, which makes the game even harder and more exciting.

That... is actually a pretty accurate description of how I like to play. I will do GTH reads, cases, and other thread analysis if I have the time, but that doesn't suit my abilities. I prefer to be unpredictable (which has eventually grown to mean predictable) and chaotic. Sometimes I'll hunker down and focus, usually as the game goes on, but I prefer a lighter playstyle.

That being said, your slip, it looked like an accident. You assert that it was not an accident, but a fakeslip. You then introduced some reads after the fact. Nacho made a good point that you didn't factor the 'fakeslip' into your reads. I think (without looking at your link to your other game) it was an accident.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Wow that is hilarious. Good one Marmot, assuming that was you. :haha:
:beer:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dyslexicon wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm okay with giving the newcomers a Day 1 pass. My vote is likely to land on one of the low-tier contributors. I think this has been a very good first day for dialogue, and it's left me feeling okay about most of the people who helped make that happen.
Can you name specific names? Who's "most people"?
I haven't rainbowed in a while. I'll do that. The tiers are in an order, but the names within the tiers are not.

Silver Lantern
Golden
nutella

insertnamehere
Soneji
Quin
Dyslexicon
Fredwood
Strawhenge
Nachomamma8

DFaraday

sig
Metalmarsh89
Long Con
JOH
speedchuck
Elohcin

DrWilgy
Sorsha

It's sort of a rainbow/GTH hybrid. I listed all the players, put a gun to my head, and forced myself to declare a color. With DF I gave myself a break.
I agree with your read on nutella.

I also agree with your observation on Wilgy. His behaviour fits the Wilgy mafia Day 1 archetype.

Why do dizzy's posts after his slip make me feel so good? Should I reconsider?

I hate catching up on tons of content. I'd prefer to be around making it. :sigh:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.

Return to “Previous Jobs”